Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Lion Nebula (Sh2-132) Ha - WIP

TakMan

A 15 minute Photoshop process of some captured data - first go with the new Chroma 50mm unmounted narrowband set after returning the Baader CMOS Ultras.

Just 8x 1200 seconds, 3nm Ha, Dark frame calibrated (and aligned/stacked in APP), only as haven't got around to sorting flats. FSQ106ED @ f/5 - Atik 16200M (running at -20ºC)

LionNeb_3nmChroma_8x12000sec-Filter_5_-_Ha_3nm-session_1-lpc-NoSt.thumb.jpg.927107d3558af316f67c44a2db97a3b3.jpg

Have not been able to remove the tilt in the upper left corner... 😕

But have been able to resolve 🤞 the more frequent occurrences of Windows 7 BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death), which put paid to the last few clear nights we've had - hence 8 frames rather than the 16-20 that would have been nice 😀

As I'm Mac based it's been a struggle to work out this issue... I really should have read all the instructions when I switched over the gear from my old MacBook Pro to the Wife's old Windows laptop after she upgraded (I wanted a more integrated solution than what I had available on OSX - Platesolving, auto-dithering, etc). The BSOD happened again even after a complete reinstall of W7, all the software and drivers... then re-configuring the software, etc, etc - I was starting to pull my hair out with it!

When I was on Mac, it was recommended to use the Keyspan 19HS serial>usb connector (something to do with the FTDI chipset and the cheaper solutions that use the Prolific). Unfortunately it appears that when the Keyspan is used with the Temma Ascom Driver, this is just about guaranteed to cause BSOD - it's mentioned in the ruddy instructions, I just didn't think when I moved everything over !!!!! 🤬

Ran 6 hours of dark frames last night in the garage with everything hooked up, PHD2 looping, planetarium running, mount connected, powered and synced to a star - but not tracking (despite what CduC thought) with me keeping an eye on it all via TeamViewer. All, so far..... appears good - ready for the next clear night, whenever that might be! Perhaps I might even get a decent 5-6 hr run at things next time out ! 😉

Clear skies to you all - we have plenty of snow here though and the "two clear hours" that Clear Outside is telling me are imminent are definitely not looking promising!!! 🤪

Damian

Edited by TakMan
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Now with 20 subs - again, a quick process (no time for StarNet++), before bed.... just grabbed another 6 exposures tonight between the clouds... aborted 2 nearing completion - the 'joys' of 20min subs!

Thankfully, no Windows 7, BSOD - looks like I sorted that.

Still no flats, that's the next task one cloudy night...

Damian

Do the clicky thing for the full size jpeg - a small amount of stack cropping only

Lion_20x_1200_no_flats-Hydrogen-alpha-session_1_session_2_session_3-lpc-St.thumb.jpg.ff95d0e10ab1e31552c43fe17bfd9202.jpg

• Like 2