Narrowband

Io and Europa Like a Double Star NOW

cloudsweeper

Wondered why I couldn't get a sharp image here, then realised it wasn't one moon but two moons, extremely close - Europa slightly above, and at about 1 o'clock.

A fine spectacle - just like a tight double star!

Take a look if you can!

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper
  • Like 5

• cloudsweeper changed the title to Io and Europa Like a Double Star NOW

Fascinating to see just how rapidly these moons move, especially when they are so close.  

From being really close and positioned at say 1 o'clock, they went to a noticeably wider separation and say 2 o'clock in about 20 minutes.

If you haven't come across it yet, this is a great simulation of the moons' movements:  https://shallowsky.com/galilean/

Doug.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Must have been great to see Doug. As you say, it’s amazing how fast they move relative to each other, much more obvious when closer together. Cloudy here unfortunately.

Yes Stu - a great observation, very memorable.  I was very confused when I couldn't get a sharp image - didn't think the seeing could be so bad - then was pleased and relieved to see two moons at slightly higher mag.

Just love it when you go out and see something unexpected that really "grabs" you!

Doug.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Just love it when you go out and see something unexpected that really "grabs" you!

Great isn’t it! Often happens that the best sessions are the unexpected ones 👍

• Like 2