Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 Deluxe Set Up...

Ian McCallum

I'm trying to set up the new SW EQ5 Deluxe mount, I got a few days ago. 

Do I need to polar alignment using the scope, etc, just for visual use? 🤔 I can't see Polaris from my backdoor, due to houses in the way. 

The old Meade EQ-1B mount was a bit easier to set up. 

20211127_103518.thumb.jpg.2ef9ce9c946d3974de70f86cc2486677.jpg

20211127_125612.jpg

Well you want to be somewhere close at least, unless you are using very high magnification.

Just make sure you are pointing the mount exactly north and your latitude is set as close as you can and it should be fine. You will likely need to mess about with adjustments in DEC as the object will drift but you should get away with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian McCallum said:

Do I need to polar alignment using the scope, etc, just for visual use?

No, not at all. With the tripod reasonably level, just set your latitude on the mounts latitude scale with the two bolts. The scale is in 2deg increments so you don't have to be that accurate, forget minutes etc. Then just point the thing North, lining it up on a compass bearing is fine for visual, even though magnetic North is slightly off from true North. Using a low power when finding stuff helps and you may need to tweek the declination slo-mo every now and again to keep things centered. A battery powered clockdrive on the RA axis is a useful thing to have for tracking. You only need to use the polarscope for accurate PA if attempting imaging with it. I've had EQ5 type mounts for years for visual and have never looked through the polarscope once.

Edited by Franklin
update
  • Like 2