Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

21 minutes ago, Elp said:

Tripod :)? Counterweight bar and counterweight? Equatorial wedge?

I use a Celestron Lithium LT to power, usually lasts around 3-4 hours in full EQ AP mode.

Yes you are right - forgot to mention:

Tripod - Check

Counterweight bar and weights - check

EQ Wedge - Check

Take a few spare cables just in case, put it all in one bag, practice assembling and trying it just to make sure nothings missing. It's why my setup fits into one bag, everything is in there.

• Thanks 1

Never tried it but when I was researching them it was the lowest capacity one I could find designed for the task of powering telescope equipment, I guess it depends on airline. For more capacity I've got two of them.

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, adyj1 said:

Are you allowed to take that on a plane? 

According to the regulations that I've been able to find, as it has less than 100Wh capacity, it can be taken as carry on provided that there are no exposed terminals. So remove the lead and tape over the power out socket. 

It is not allowed in hold luggage 

https://www.caa.co.uk/passengers/before-you-fly/baggage/items-that-are-allowed-in-baggage/

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

According to the regulations that I've been able to find, as it has less than 100Wh capacity, it can be taken as carry on provided that there are no exposed terminals. So remove the lead and tape over the power out socket. 

It is not allowed in hold luggage 

https://www.caa.co.uk/passengers/before-you-fly/baggage/items-that-are-allowed-in-baggage/

Thanks @Gfamily

Found something about the 100Wh here;

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=7#:~:text=Size limits%3A Lithium metal (non,person in their electronic devices.

It says airlines might allow you larger if you ask

Edited by adyj1
Found more info

Just thought I'd put this in here, I had issues connecting the AZGTI to Sky Safari Plus 7, general process is as follows, this was done on O/S Android 12:

1. Switch on your AZGTI, make sure your phone/tablet/pc is connected to the AZGTI wifi network once it's booted,

2. Start Synscan Pro app, choose altaz or equatorial mode (if you have this firmware uploaded onto the AZGTI),

3. Align as per Synscan Pro alignment routine,

4. Start Sky Safari Plus/Pro, go to Menu > Settings > Telescope heading > Presets,

5. Press add preset button,

6. Select "other connection",

7. Select "Skywatcher Synscan", click next,

8. Choose your mount operation mode, "Alt-Az Goto" or "Equatorial Goto (German)" (I haven't tried the latter yet),

9. Select "Connect via wifi", make sure your phone/tablet/pc running synscan pro is still connected to the AZGTI network,

10. For IP address, this is the address of the controlling device running Synscan Pro (IE phone/tablet/pc), NOT the IP gateway or device network of the AZGTI - this is where I was going wrong even though this would be the logical choice,

11. Enter 11882 for the port number, press "check connection" button, it should confirm at the top of the screen that it has been able to connect, click next,

12. Enter the name for the preset you want to save it as, can leave everything else on default, and press "save preset".

13. On the main screen press the "connect" button if its on, or you should see the telescope controls "goto, align, lock" etc, you'll know the telescope is connected as they'll be a light blue/cyan coloured reticule on the screen.

And I think that's it. Haven't used it outside yet, next step will be to connect it to the asiair setup when I get around to it.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elp said:

Just thought I'd put this in here, I had issues connecting the AZGTI to Sky Safari Plus 7, general process is as follows, this was done on O/S Android 12:

1. Switch on your AZGTI, make sure your phone/tablet/pc is connected to the AZGTI wifi network once it's booted,

2. Start Synscan Pro app, choose altaz or equatorial mode (if you have this firmware uploaded onto the AZGTI),

3. Align as per Synscan Pro alignment routine,

4. Start Sky Safari Plus/Pro, go to Menu > Settings > Telescope heading > Presets,

5. Press add preset button,

6. Select "other connection",

7. Select "Skywatcher Synscan", click next,

8. Choose your mount operation mode, "Alt-Az Goto" or "Equatorial Goto (German)" (I haven't tried the latter yet),

9. Select "Connect via wifi", make sure your phone/tablet/pc running synscan pro is still connected to the AZGTI network,

10. For IP address, this is the address of the controlling device running Synscan Pro (IE phone/tablet/pc), NOT the IP gateway or device network of the AZGTI - this is where I was going wrong even though this would be the logical choice,

11. Enter 11882 for the port number, press "check connection" button, it should confirm at the top of the screen that it has been able to connect, click next,

12. Enter the name for the preset you want to save it as, can leave everything else on default, and press "save preset".

13. On the main screen press the "connect" button if its on, or you should see the telescope controls "goto, align, lock" etc, you'll know the telescope is connected as they'll be a light blue/cyan coloured reticule on the screen.

And I think that's it. Haven't used it outside yet, next step will be to connect it to the asiair setup when I get around to it.

This is exactly how I got it working (Alt-Az) with SkySafari7

To find the IP address of your android phone, go to settings -> network & internet -> wifi -> synscanxxx (or whatever) -> advanced -> IP Address

Alternatively I found my IP address on Android under Settings > About phone, it depends on the skin the manufacturer have put over Google's default Android interface.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have managed a couple of evenings with the GTi now. Guiding is a bit off but I will tweak that where I can. Two pics, Andromeda 120 x 1min (no filters) and Soul Neb 45 x 3min (Altair Triband). Both on a Altair Astro 60EDF with a 0.8 reducer and an Altair Astro 533MC Protech

image.thumb.png.ba6c9a1da7795d48e9f90c7022e899f6.png

image.thumb.png.4c66e581665ce0efef665c2ef92076f4.png

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, geeks said:

Have managed a couple of evenings with the GTi now. Guiding is a bit off but I will tweak that where I can. Two pics, Andromeda 120 x 1min (no filters) and Soul Neb 45 x 3min (Altair Triband). Both on a Altair Astro 60EDF with a 0.8 reducer and an Altair Astro 533MC Protech

image.thumb.png.ba6c9a1da7795d48e9f90c7022e899f6.png

image.thumb.png.4c66e581665ce0efef665c2ef92076f4.png

Fantastic images, only a slight note a bit of star reduction will really make them pop out more. But thsts just my eye. They are lovely images none the less 👌

What software for processing do you use? 

Pleased your enjoying your time with the az gti and you'll soon get the guiding ironed out.

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Fantastic images, only a slight note a bit of star reduction will really make them pop out more. But thsts just my eye. They are lovely images none the less 👌

Pleased your enjoying your time with the az gti and you'll soon get the guiding ironed out.

Lee 

Thanks for the kinds words!

RE the star reduction I completely agree, I am still learning that bit, my soul neb was my first attempt at stripping the stars, stretching the nebula and adding them back in, I am still learning the processing side of things (it's my biggest weak area) and I am not sure I did it all in the right order.

Tonight I will be grabbing more Soul data, plan for process tomorrow is, stack and remove LP in APP, save Tiff without stretch, remove stars, stretch starless in APP and tweak in PS. Then add stars back in and see how I go. If anyone wants to offer an advance/advice on this feel free :)

Edited by geeks
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, geeks said:

RE the star reduction I completely agree, I am still learning that bit, my soul neb was my first attempt at stripping the stars, stretching the nebula and adding them back in, I am still learning the processing side of things (it's my biggest weak area) and I am not sure I did it all in the right order.

You're doing great, it's my biggest weakness too. 

Lee 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geeks said:

Cracking images them, lot of detail. Where abouts were you to get your data?

Ok so went out to a dark (ish) site the other night and a mate was there imaging with his AZ Gti, his mount had no free play like mine has.

So contacted FLO to check they have a mount that is threaded and going to get a new one, this will hopefully tighten up my tracking.

I will use my iffy one for solar viewing. 

• Like 1

The az gti doing some impeccable guiding tonight, who needs an heq5, EQ 8r or harmonic drive mount 😉 (it would be nice though 😊. The az gti punching above its weight. 

Admittedly its hovering around 1" but regularly going below. 

Last session on ngc 7635 and on a work night too, gonna be tired moro (4.30am) though I'd did get a few hours power nap in after tea. 

Hope others are getting some scope time in. 

Edit. Had to call it a night around 12 am as the breeze was getting up to much and affecting the guiding, so done calibration frames and in bed now. 

Lee 

IMG_20220808_224754.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
Spelling
  • Like 2

thought I would put up my latest data captured on M31, as suspected my results have improved immensely by gathering a decent amount.

So we have 2.15 hours with just a ir/uv cut filter. The AZ was tracking so so but as it's a widefield I get away with it. Camera ZWO 183mc cooled, stacked in DSS, quick blast through Siril and tidy up in Gimp.

Stars are a bit bloated, think it might look a little less busy if I had run it through starnet, processed then merged but nevermind, I am very pleased with the result for a ten minute process and it gives me a benchmark. I shall have another play down the line to see if I can improve on it.

904781366_M31-siril1hist-gimp1final.thumb.png.19c3058a2e4622fa0af391268299dfd6.png 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

thought I would put up my latest data captured on M31, as suspected my results have improved immensely by gathering a decent amount.

So we have 2.15 hours with just a ir/uv cut filter. The AZ was tracking so so but as it's a widefield I get away with it. Camera ZWO 183mc cooled, stacked in DSS, quick blast through Siril and tidy up in Gimp.

Stars are a bit bloated, think it might look a little less busy if I had run it through starnet, processed then merged but nevermind, I am very pleased with the result for a ten minute process and it gives me a benchmark. I shall have another play down the line to see if I can improve on it.

904781366_M31-siril1hist-gimp1final.thumb.png.19c3058a2e4622fa0af391268299dfd6.png 

Great image, for a 10 minute process quite amazing, your stars are looking good to me, like you say maybe just a touch of bloat but hardly anything really. 

Like you say reducing the stars will help make it pop more. 

If you flip and rotate the image so M31 runs from top right to bottom left and M110 at the bottom it'll give a much more structure and 3d look. (hope you don't mind) 

Nice work Steve 👏

Lee 

1475162539_M31-siril1hist-gimp1final.png.afe05f0ae09d5ec972b4421a83949768-01.jpeg

Edited by AstroNebulee
addition
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Great image, for a 10 minute process quite amazing, your stars are looking good to me, like you say maybe just a touch of bloat but hardly anything really. 

Like you say reducing the stars will help make it pop more. 

If you flip and rotate the image so M31 runs from top right to bottom left and M110 at the bottom it'll give a much more structure and 3d look. (hope you don't mind) 

Nice work Steve 👏

Lee 

1475162539_M31-siril1hist-gimp1final.png.afe05f0ae09d5ec972b4421a83949768-01.jpeg

Surely if you flip it then it would mimic the view from the opposite side - wonder if that would plate-solve!

17 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Cracking images them, lot of detail. Where abouts were you to get your data?

I am imaging from my back garden, we moved back in April and these were my first shots from the new house, have moved from a B8 to a low B4 , the difference is staggering!