Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

13 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

A new firmware is available for the az gti mount via the link below. The new version is 3.39. The new firmware has the added support for some third party applications, whatever they may be. I am still running version 3.36 and haven't seen the need to update to a higher version yet. 

http://skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/

Screenshot_20220609_195127.jpg

Careful if you are flashing this.  At the moment the Dual mode EQ firmware link on the skywatcher site points to the regular ALT-AZ firmware by mistake.   Reports are coming through of people flashing it and losing EQ mode and having to flash back to 3.38. 

Ray

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Hi Steve 

Your new WO guidescope sounds brilliant and will definitely see good results with that fine offering. Hopefully they do find that your horizon 60ed has a collimation issue but like you say best to check out other options available to you anyway. The skywatcher evolux 62ed and dedicated flat reducer could be an option around the same price as the horizon 62ed. I'm hearing good things with these scopes. Or for a tad more the the WO zenithstar 61 and dedicated FF. 

I agree sometimes to leave well alone when updating firmware. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it rings well. 

Let me know how you get on with your testing over the weekend 👍

Cheers 

Lee 

I'm assuming by "better integration " they mean apps like SkySafari, I would be prepared to have a go upgrading the firmware with the az gti I have in altaz mode as I've found it to be somewhat patchy in performance with SkySafari, thanks for heads up Lee.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TerraC said:

Careful if you are flashing this.  At the moment the Dual mode EQ firmware link on the skywatcher site points to the regular ALT-AZ firmware by mistake.   Reports are coming through of people flashing it and losing EQ mode and having to flash back to 3.38. 

Ray

Thank you Ray 👍,  hopefully skywatcher will sort it soon.  I have contacted both skywatcher.com support and skywatcher USA about it. I know others will have but thought it was worth a try. Edit..... I've had a reply from skywatcher USA and they are looking into it 👍, will update you when it's been solved. 

5 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

I'm assuming by "better integration " they mean apps like SkySafari, I would be prepared to have a go upgrading the firmware with the az gti I have in altaz mode as I've found it to be somewhat patchy in performance with SkySafari, thanks for heads up Lee.

You are most likely correct Laurence, I assume that they do mean sky safari and stellarium to name two I expect. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

This looks a nice option should I require another one. Anyways, lets not jump the gun and wait til they test the returned OTA, good shout though.

Yep indeed Steve, just giving you some ideas should you wish to change 😊, always nice to window shop anyway, even though I still can't afford anything haha. Hope the tests prove useful and confirm your thoughts on a collimation issue. 👍

Cheers

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee

My 40cm M12 bolt arrived today. So hopefully I can balance my scope a lot better now and remove the extra DIY counterweight. The extra 10cm length will hopefully allow this, then move the 2 star adventurer weights down a bit more. Photo of on the setup to follow. 

IMG_20220610_160114.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, TerraC said:

Ray

It looks like SW have just reissued v3.39 for AZ/EQ use (dated 10/6/2022).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Avocette said:

It was linking both types to the same download, the name of the download gives you the clue to the version you want.🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avocette said:

Yep agreed, they seem to of sorted this issue now and the eq dual mode is now linking to the correct firmware now 👍

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

My 40cm M12 bolt arrived today. So hopefully I can balance my scope a lot better now and remove the extra DIY counterweight. The extra 10cm length will hopefully allow this, then move the 2 star adventurer weights down a bit more. Photo of on the setup to follow. 

IMG_20220610_160114.jpg

where'd you get that from Lee please?, would be better than my current arrangement!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

where'd you get that from Lee please?, would be better than my current arrangement!

Hi Steve 

I got it from the bay of dreams here. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383682199393?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=g4gbkfnlsh6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Fo3Iht4XRKy&var=652081108589&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

A bit of threaded bar would be cheaper but I really do like the bolt as it's only threaded at the top and the rest of the shaft is smooth so the counterweights grip nicely and no need to add nuts on the end as toe savers. 

Cheers 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee

I am new here.  I have a AZ-GTI, SW SA wedge, SW 72ED with falttener, ZWO ASI485MC, ASIAIR Plus, Samsung Galaxy Tab S6, 12V 10A power supply.

I'm having a problem that's driving me crazy.  After PA I select a target and the telescope points in the wrong direction, usually down and 1 time the CW shaft ended up pointing to where the target is!

I've viewed videos till I'm cross-eyed and checked out FB AZ-GTI page but there I got conflicting help.  There are a lot of keyboard warriors out there.

What I need is a step-by-step on getting the mount set up to work with the ASIAIR Plus by somebody who has this set up.  Then a step-by-step on getting the mount to work with ASIAIR plus.

Frankly, I used this set up minus the wedge and ASIAIR Plus but using a RPI 4B and Stellarmate with some success, but SM APP is awful and I spent way too many viewing sessions messing with faulty software over the last 6 months.  So I decided to go the EQ route and read nothing but glowing reviews on the ASIAIR Plus.  I see a lot of people using this combination so I know it works and works well.  I just can't get to work for me.  Hence my cry for some knowledgeable help.

Thank you.

IMG_7712a.JPG

Edited by Crist Rigotti
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Crist Rigotti said:

I am new here.  I have a AZ-GTI, SW SA wedge, SW 72ED with falttener, ZWO ASI485MC, ASIAIR Plus, Samsung Galaxy Tab S6, 12V 10A power supply.

I'm having a problem that's driving me crazy.  After PA I select a target and the telescope points in the wrong direction, usually down and 1 time the CW shaft ended up pointing to where the target is!

I've viewed videos till I'm cross-eyed and checked out FB AZ-GTI page but there I got conflicting help.  There are a lot of keyboard warriors out there.

What I need is a step-by-step on getting the mount set up to work with the ASIAIR Plus by somebody who has this set up.  Then a step-by-step on getting the mount to work with ASIAIR plus.

Frankly, I used this set up minus the wedge and ASIAIR Plus but using a RPI 4B and Stellarmate with some success, but SM APP is awful and I spent way too many viewing sessions messing with faulty software over the last 6 months.  So I decided to go the EQ route and read nothing but glowing reviews on the ASIAIR Plus.  I see a lot of people using this combination so I know it works and works well.  I just can't get to work for me.  Hence my cry for some knowledgeable help.

Thank you.

IMG_7712a.JPG

Hi

Welcome. 

Sorry to hear your issues with your az gti. What firmware are you running on your az gti and have you upgraded to the eq az dual mode firmware here is a link to it. Sounds like this may solve your issue of the scope pointing in the wrong direction. 

You will need this piece of software the motor controller loader 1.78 the pc or WiFi version to update the firmware. Via WiFi or with a eq dir cable. 

In the synscan app on your tablet it should tell you what firmware you are using for your AzGti. 

Another thing is your tablet device the right time and the location set to where you are. 

I have a similar setup but use a AApro instead. 

Cheers 

Lee 

Screenshot_20220614_192904_com.microsoft.emmx.jpg

Screenshot_20220614_194401_com.microsoft.emmx.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
addition
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Hi

Welcome. 

Sorry to hear your issues with your az gti. What firmware are you running on your az gti and have you upgraded to the eq az dual mode firmware here is a link to it. Sounds like this may solve your issue of the scope pointing in the wrong direction. 

You will need this piece of software the motor controller loader 1.78 the pc or WiFi version to update the firmware. Via WiFi or with a eq dir cable. 

In the synscan app on your tablet it should tell you what firmware you are using for your AzGti. 

Another thing is your tablet device the right time and the location set to where you are. 

I have a similar setup but use a AApro instead. 

Cheers 

Lee 

Screenshot_20220614_192904_com.microsoft.emmx.jpg

Screenshot_20220614_194401_com.microsoft.emmx.jpg

I used Loader V1.79 and Dual V3.39 which was just released.  Both the tablet and ASIAIR show the same time and location.

• Like 2

You can just start the asiair app and control it from there. I used to start the synscan app first, select EQ mode, then start the asiair app. Now I've found it just works via the asiair app straight away.

In the asiair app I've got the mount set to "skywatcher azgti/synscan WiFi" and baud rate 9600.

Once in the asiair app check your mount is connected, cameras etc. Then select the telescope icon and select goto home position. If correct the telescope/mount should align so the telescope is aligned with the mount on top pointing toward Polaris and the counterweight should be perpendicular to the ground (obviously at an angle due to altitude adjustment to point at polaris). This home position should be set anyway manually before you switch any power on and to check your Ra and declination balance prior.

Edited by Elp

1 minute ago, Elp said:

You can just start the asiair app and control it from there. I used to start the synscan app first, select EQ mode, then start the asiair app. Now I've found it just works via the asiair app straight away.

Great.  That what I was hoping for.  I'll try it again tonight.  Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crist Rigotti said:

Do I have to load the ASCOM driver?  If so, where?

If you're using an Asiair via mobile app you don't need the ascom driver, that's more for when you're controlling via a pc/laptop.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crist Rigotti said:

Do I have to use the Synscan APP first to set the mount to EQ mode, then set home position and do a 2 star alignment before going to the ASIAIR Plus?

Apart from polar alignment, you need to stick to one controller, or start again with alignment if you switch controllers (think of it like a reboot of Windows 😉

12 hours ago, Crist Rigotti said:

Do I have to use the Synscan APP first to set the mount to EQ mode, then set home position and do a 2 star alignment before going to the ASIAIR Plus?

Just use your AAplus to do everything PA, focus, control mount, plate solve and image 😊

Cheers 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
addition