SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Opticron Oregon Observation 70mm

My Opticron T WP 10x50s see a lot of use and are a joy under dark skies, however for those brief clear spells on work nights, I feel more aperture is required under my light polluted home skies.

I've decided once the Christmas spend frenzy is out the way, to pick up 11x70 or 15x70 binoculars. Intended use is very short hand held periods or on a monopod. If there's time to set up a tripod, I may as well get the scope out...

Opticron Oregon Observation 70mm are a nice price at £99 and I've read one good review. However the last time I used a binocular this size was fifteen years ago on range duty accompanied by a radio and unloaded rifle for appearances. 🙄

Therfore I really have no clue whether to plump for the 11x or 15x. According to the specs, weight is about the same and fov too. Instinct tells me to go for more magnification. Are my instincts correct?! Thanks in advance.

I'm not a regular binocular user but I found a pair of older, Japanese 11x70's by Opticron (the Oregon LER I think the model is) pre-owned and find that I can hand hold them reasonably comfortably, which is a big plus for me. I think the current Oregon binoculars are different though - the LERs are out of production now.

11x70s.JPG.8a703f65aa078924def92b4dd190af93.JPG

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1

I have the 15x70 Oregon’s and I love using them. To be honest I found them too heavy for hand held observing. I use them on a little lightweight tripod and it’s great. It’s still a lot less work than setting up one of my scopes 

70D507EC-A3B1-472F-B664-776F96A2EBCE.thumb.jpeg.6a8445a56c03362c3c9913c83adba181.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I have the 15x70 Oregon’s and I love using them. To be honest I found them too heavy for hand held observing. I use them on a little lightweight tripod and it’s great. It’s still a lot less work than setting up on70D507EC-A3B1-472F-B664-776F96A2EBCE.thumb.jpeg.6a8445a56c03362c3c9913c83adba181.jpege of my scopes 

Thanks. I have a very sturdy Manfrotto monopod so they should work OK on that?

• Like 1

I have a  nice pair of Opticron Oregon 15 x 70. I find a bit much hand held. Doable for a short period.

I didn’t go for the 11 x 70s as I thought the 6.4 mm exit pupil a bit large for my ageing eyes. More so if used under light pollution  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I have a  nice pair of Opticron Oregon 15 x 70. I find a bit much hand held. Doable for a short period.

I didn’t go for the 11 x 70s as I thought the 6.4 mm exit pupil a bit large for my ageing eyes. More so if used under light pollution  

Brilliant Jeremy just what I needed to know. Thanks. 👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

Excellent and detailed review of what I think is the current Opticron Oregon 15x70's here:

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2015/07/04/opticron-oregon-15x70-binoculars-review/

Are these basically the same as the Celestron Astromaster 15x70's ?

Thanks John. I will find out soon enough. Last night I suffered from a bout of itchy trigger finger! 🙄😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, John said:

Are these basically the same as the Celestron Astromaster 15x70's ?

I've had them both and although the specs and build are very similar, in my samples at least, the Skymasters were the better binocular. I think it's all down to QC with these budget models, I've read some very promising reviews on both models but the Oregon 15x70 I had seemed to have a very narrow Fov and they were slightly out of collimation, they got returned. The Skymasters were better but for me the x15 was too much for handheld and on a monopod and tripod I found them uncomfortable to use. If I were to go for big binos I'd have to get a dedicated mount for them such as the Orion parallelogram type.

• Thanks 1

I'd go for the 15x -- 10x (or 11x) really needs very dark skies and exit pupils that can cope with the 6.2 mm exit pupil (6.2 because the binocular is internally stopped to an effective aperture of 62mm). If you want "proper" 70mm aperture, something like the Helios Stellar II is pretty good (and the seem to have fixed the slack focus that was a "feature" of the original ones).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 29/11/2021 at 16:04, BinocularSky said:

I'd go for the 15x -- 10x (or 11x) really needs very dark skies and exit pupils that can cope with the 6.2 mm exit pupil (6.2 because the binocular is internally stopped to an effective aperture of 62mm). If you want "proper" 70mm aperture, something like the Helios Stellar II is pretty good (and the seem to have fixed the slack focus that was a "feature" of the original ones).

What would you recommend as a decent astronomical binocular in the size range of 20x80? Up to about £400. Thanks Steve 

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Why the large difference in price when they are the same size and magnification from the same manufacturer?🤔

The diferance in price reflects the quality of the binoculars better glass ,better lighter body,more light transmitted by the coatings etc

I would have also included the Helios Apollo 22x85's wich are inbetween the other 2 and were selling around the £420 mark but FLO dont list them anymore 

I have a pair of these and they are quite impressive pair of bins

6 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

The diferance in price reflects the quality of the binoculars better glass ,better lighter body,more light transmitted by the coatings etc

I would have also included the Helios Apollo 22x85's wich are inbetween the other 2 and were selling around the £420 mark but FLO dont list them anymore 

Thanks for your recommendations and I now have food for thought. I may just go over budget and get the lightquests. It’s a one off purchase that will last 

Sorry, late to return to the party.

On 30/11/2021 at 21:45, bosun21 said:

What would you recommend as a decent astronomical binocular in the size range of 20x80? Up to about £400. Thanks Steve

The LQs that @Stormbringer recommended are a fine  instrument. If it helps to make a decision, my review of it is at https://binocularsky.com/binoc_reviews.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/12/2021 at 19:55, Stormbringer said:

Are both the 16x and the 20x models of the Lightquest equally good and not one overshadowed by the other? Thanks 

33 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Sorry i dont know but you can read Steve Tonkins review liinked above

Yeah I just saw that after I posted. Reading Steve’s reviews it seems like the lightquest range as a whole is good 👍