Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

new to astronomy new binos!!

hello guys im new to this forum, ive always wanted to get into and learn astronomy as im obsesed with the skys.

I first brought a telescope but i just found myself looking werever whenever, now i have took it back and brought myself some new binos.

they are 20-108*70mm and i think im going to start again only this time properly, have you guys got some kind of list of which i can start my observations?

thanks

Mitchel,

A very warm welcome to you.

You have already started off well by joining SGL. Thank you for telling us about your bino's,thet do sound interesting.

Have a read of some of the posts' when you have time. There are some good links to software and a few good books you could think about.

I would star with Ursa Major (The Plough). Have a look at Mizar/Alcor , the second star from the left in the handle,and see if you can split Mizar itself.

Messiers Objects for me would have to be M45 The Seven Sisters (Pleiades) in Taurus. Just see if you can see a little triangle of stars near Alcyone. I always like to look at these.Also have a look at the Hyades,a beautiful open cluster.

M42 In Orion. This is a big favourite of many. Everyone see's it a little different. I struggle due to my view South is not good.

Three Messier objects in Auriga worth a look are M36 M37 M38. These can be a little tricky to begin with. Once you have found them you will always return again and again.

Not a Messier object but a sprinkling of diamonds is the double cluster in Perseus NGC 884 and NGC 869. These will blow your socks off with binoculars.

I hope you download some free software to find your way around.

Come back and see us again when you have had a look at the targets. Never be afraid of asking questions. We are here to help.

The Universe awaits you.

Clear Skies.

Glen.

cheers mate Im going to copy that list and save it, create myself a little check list. I live in birmingham and theres a lot of light pollution and clouds. just waiting on that clear night and il get a few pics hopefuly and let you guys no how i get on. I first viewed what i think is nebulae south of orions belt then the clouds came back straight away. I never realised how much more you can see through binos to the naked eye. ignorent me lol

thanks

Hi Mitchel,

That would have been M42. Binocular viewing is a great way to see the skies.

If you want to use the degree symbol (°) try pressing the Alt key on your keyboard at the same time type 248 on your number pad. Doesn't work for everyone,but it might for you.

Birmingham: The City of roundabouts :-)

Glen.

I dont quite understand how to work out the degrees yet? There seems alot to learn, Stellarium definately helps alot. Im hoping to catch some planets on the first nights sky, But what is this nebulae i no it looks great but dont understand what it is, is it a cluster of stars thanks

I dont quite understand how to work out the degrees yet? There seems alot to learn, Stellarium definately helps alot. Im hoping to catch some planets on the first nights sky, But what is this nebulae i no it looks great but dont understand what it is, is it a cluster of stars thanks

The nebulae is a cloud of dust and gas. What you're seeing is reflections of the stars from the dust and gas. There is a star forming region in the middle, but I don't know whether that can be seen in binos. It might be that if you use the zoom and tripod mount the bins, you might be able to.

Archived