Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explore Scientific vs Opticstar

bomberbaz

Hello all.

I found these EP's on opticstar website and they appear to be a perfect clone of the ES 82 degree range. Apologies in advance if this has been done before. 

Opticstar XL 82° Ultra Wide Angle Eyepieces.

Explore Scientific 82º Series Eyepieces | First Light Optics

Has anyone bought these or better still, compared them directly to the ES, would be interesting to hear anyone's findings. 

With some of the ES eyepiece ranges, what seems to have happened is that ES signed an exclusivity deal with a manufacturer with a 2 year (or so) term. Once that ended, the manufacturer was free to market the design to other brands.

I've seen a similar thing with other designs, eg: the Long Perng made 82 degree range. Originally it was only available under the William Optics branding (the UWAN range) but after a while started appearing under other brandings, often at a lower cost.

Now whether the specifications are exactly the same in all respects, is hard to tell. In the past it has been possible for a brand to specify better quality coatings for example, especially if they were ordering a large quantity.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Yes, it has been mentioned, e.g. here and here.

There are other clones of the ES 82° range; I think some don't have the same waterproofing or purging as the ES, though the Opticstars clearly do.

Thank you my friend, if the QC is on the ball then at £20 cheaper they seem an obvious choice for what I am planning. 

Thanks