Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing in the Wind

Muc

Have you ever observed with a medium or large telescope in a strong enough wind? It's predicting clear enough skies in the wee hours of the morn. I'm debating driving 20 mins with 120/1000 refractor to try for Comet Leonard even though there's the last quarter moon. But it's given 30mph winds... Is that madness? 🤔

I did once set up my SW 300p newt on an AZ-EQ6 in reasonably strong winds, much less than 30mph avg,  and it wasn't a rewarding session to say the least. Least of all, the open end of the tube became a musical instrument, howling in the wind!

When you say "30mph wind" do you mean average, or a lower average but with gusts of 30mph? If average, then expect gusts up to and over 40mph. The thing to bear in mind about wind speed is that the energy content of wind varies with the CUBE of the speed. So a wind speed of 30mph will have a "violence" eight times that of 15mph winds.

I regard anything over 10mph as reasonably strong, and if you experience gusts of 40mph that will be moments of wind-energy 64x that of 10mph.

Personally, in unsheltered 30mph winds, I would not do it. Unless you can find a really sheltered spot.

Cheers, Magnus

Edit: I've just noticed that your location is "Ireland", like me :) . I think down here in West Cork we are having the least of Storm Arwen, and I'm certainly not taking any of my scopes out tonight.

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 1

I’m reading in mobile view so I can’t see your mount, but I have found short scopes like my C8 mounted on my Skytee and 2” tripod is fine even in strong winds as long as I don’t try too high magnifications. My long scopes like the 4” F10 Tal are not so good. If you have a short scope to take along as a backup that might work? 

• Like 1

"Is that madness", could be, respectfully some kind of wind break is needed for preventing a strong gust from toppling your telescope. Here storm Arwen has recently arrived from north east Scotland and is full on.

A sudden strong gust toppled my 8" dob from a fairly sheltered dark site, it thankfully was just fine. A few years ago, my 14" dob, which had a cover on, due to squally rain shower, wobbled and rocked nearly toppling, again at a dark site, that in particular was a heart stopping moment. Just be careful but tonight if Arwen whips down your way I'd stay in. 

2 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

just noticed that your location is "Ireland", like me :) . I think down here in West Cork we are having the least of Storm Arwen, and I'm certainly not taking any of my scopes out tonight.

Yeah in Waterford Magnus, I know I shouldn't really, just had one of those weeks in work and a bit of comet hunting would do the head a lot of good. I realise now that is actually probably a mean speed if 30kmph with gusts may be higher. I assumed astro scopes doesn't adhere to the yellow warnings.

I don't have a shorter scope unfortunately Robert, although I do have a cheapo 60mm spotting scope.....hmmmm. I have the Skytee which does seem like a solid lump.

Scarp15 a rocking 14"! Haha, I can feel my heart starting to climb up my throat just reading that!