SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best grab-and-go when hiking to site

I would like to observe from a site that requires a 10-15 minute hike. I have handled a friend's Heritage 130P, and it would be too heavy to carry comfortably.

As a beginner (upgrading from binoculars), I am looking at budget options. I have ruled out a Mak, as they are more expensive and probably harder to aim.

Any ideas for a lightweight setup? I welcome suggestions, but I've considered the following 2 options:

• The Orion SkyScanner (100/400 Newtonian on a tabletop Dob, but can be mounted on a tripod as well);
  • The Orion ShortTube 80-A (80/400 refractor in its "astro" configuration, with 90-degree diagonal).

Is there anything that the ShortTube would do better than the Newtonian, besides offering the possibility of terrestrial observation? Refractors are sometimes praised for their crisp, contrasty images, but I'm not sure...

The SkyScanner is cheaper but the ShortTube has better eyepieces. However, for the price difference (€130 vs €180), I could afford an additional eyepiece (either a zoom eyepiece, or a wide-angle in either 6mm or 24mm).

Edited by isolli
typo

I've backpacked with an ST80 and it is rugged and effective. If I was you and buying now I would buy the SkyWatcher equivalent of the SkyScanner for the aperture and novelty, and because the tube is red! One consideration with the SkyScanner is it is very fast (focal ratio of 4.0 versus 5.0 for the ST80) so it will be quite tough on eyepieces. The ST80 will have a lot field curvature (different focus point at the edge of the field of view compared to the center) while the SkyScanner will have lots of coma (towards the edge of the field, stars look a bit like comets). Both are capable and enjoyable scopes, but the SkyScanner gathers more light and can go to higher magnifications.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

Ha ha, thanks! When you say that the SkyScanner is tough on eyepieces, I assume this holds true for low-power ones, correct? High-power eyepieces, which zoom in on the center of the image, should do fine, shouldn't they?

The high power eyepeices will show the middle of the field, so you will see less coma. But the focal ratio of the telescope remains very "fast" regardless of the magnification, and affects eyepieces of every focal length. Having said that, there are plenty of cheap "planetary" style eyepieces that work fine in so-called fast scopes. It's more of an issue for wide apparent field eyepieces.

• Like 1

I assume the hike is over rough terrain? Only ask as I've managed to fit my 130 Newtonian inside a camping backpack which also has wheels though with mount etc it weighs 10kg and that's without a tripod.

Also have a 60mm refractor which is very compact and this setup also all fits in another backpack.

The refractor is pin sharp with high contrast, I however was surprised how much brighter the Newtonian was in comparison due to the larger aperture though I wouldn't want to haul the larger scope over distance.

Note refractor quality has a lot to do with how it's made, quality of glass etc.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

Ags, thanks for the advice on eyepieces for fast telescopes!

Elp, yes, wheels would not help on this hike (and with 10 kg, I would think twice before going). 

The Orion ShortTube seems like it is a step up from entry-level quality, while more affordable than the lightweight ED refractors that are often recommended.

I have an ST80 and can confirm that it is OK to carry the scope, tripod (mine is a Manfrotto 055 camera tripod) and eyepieces to an observing site in a single trip. In my case it was just walking far enough to get clear of trees rather than a 'hike'. I do like the ST80 - it gives a lot of 'bang for buck' and means that I often do observing on nights when the weather is uncertain and would not be worth the bother of setting up my bigger scope.

I generally don't bother with a finder scope or red dot whatever - just put a 26 or 32mm eyepiece on, point the tube by eye and away you go.

No idea about your other option sorry.

• Like 1