Narrowband

Chart and Ephemeris Comet C/2021 A1 (Leonard) visible in binoculars

Thanks for the chart! I saw the comet this morning at 5:30am with 20x80 binoculars. It was actually pretty easy to find even in the moonlight. Right now it's passing the magnitude 5 start 37 Com and heading towards M3. I could even see a tail about 10' long. I think the magnitude 7.5 estimate is bang on target. With the Moon waning and the comet getting brigher the next few days should be a treat if it stays clear!  

Edited by Nik271
  • Like 4

Had my first view, just after 5am this morning of Comet C/2021 A1 Leonard in 10x50 binoculars. Above Arcturus, it was about the same magnitude as M3, perhaps the comet a shade brighter - around 6 mag. It was larger and more diffuse than M3 though. Conditions were a bit hazy, and I could not see a tail. Looked also in 8x30s, at this welcome visitor.

Andrew

• Like 2

I saw it this morning quite easily though I had a couple of advantages: 21.76 sky and 15x56 binoculars. I don’t have a feel for extended-object magnitudes but I’d put it between M31 (easily visible naked eye) and M33 (not quite naked eye). A medium-sized quite bright object with core and definite wide tail. It was still just about visible in the bins at 7am as dawn was happening, with the sky at 19.7.

Magnus

• Like 2

Observed C/2021 A1 Leonard this morning in 20x80 binoculars from 5:45am to 6:20am. Quite bright (I estimate mag 6)  and moving rapidly. Tail at least a degree long, faint. I'm looking forward to another view tomorrow morning when it's supposed to be clear. 

Edited by Nik271
  • Like 1