Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2023 Spring Galloway Star Camp

Physopto

56 minutes ago, mapstar said:

I never set the scope up as there wasn't a night where there was a full hours clear sky. The aurora shots were taken in gaps which were clear for 20mins 

That`s a shame I have a 10" dob now, its the weather that puts me off going all that way and not get a clear night although I would love to catch up and meet other astronomers. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

That`s a shame I have a 10" dob now, its the weather that puts me off going all that way and not get a clear night although I would love to catch up and meet other astronomers. 

I know what you mean.  As I advised before the event I was needed at home because of the operation on my wife's hand (which was succesful), so I missed out.  But despite the disappointing weather I would have enjoyed the fellowship etc.  And seen the aurora - I was clouded out here on both occasions 😭  Indeed the weekend immediately before, I was at Kielder where the weather was even worse.   Nevertheless I have booked for next year both at Kielder and Drumroamin!  If we're going to continue in our wonderful hobby, we have to live in hope!  Roll on October (Kelling Heath) and November at Drumroamin.

Derek, is the change of date to next February definite?  It affects my plans for Kielder.

Last night started out beautifully clear after a gorgeous day, but clouded over after midnight, so stopped a narrowband session before it really got started.  But I got a pleasing Moon image which I'm posting next on the appropriate forum.  There's always some sort of silver lining 😀

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 2

On 28/03/2023 at 09:39, petevasey said:

I know what you mean.  As I advised before the event I was needed at home because of the operation on my wife's hand (which was succesful), so I missed out.  But despite the disappointing weather I would have enjoyed the fellowship etc.  And seen the aurora - I was clouded out here on both occasions 😭  Indeed the weekend immediately before, I was at Kielder where the weather was even worse.   Nevertheless I have booked for next year both at Kielder and Drumroamin!  If we're going to continue in our wonderful hobby, we have to live in hope!  Roll on October (Kelling Heath) and November at Drumroamin.

Derek, is the change of date to next February definite?  It affects my plans for Kielder.

Cheers,

Peter

Yes Peter now February.

I could not answer properly before as tried on phone and it kept on deleting everything after a couple of sentances.

Anyway we are trying for better weather a bit sooner in the year. We have had a few poor spring camps of late and now as the shooters are not using the statics anymore there may be a better chance to get some imaging/viewing in. We have had some realy good results in February before. If we had been at Drumroamin this year in February we would have had some very clear nights I am told.

Hope your wife is getting on well.

All the best,

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 1

I have just been informed, by David Millar, that Katie Hughes (Stargazing Scotland) husband has passed away whilst away working offshore.

Sad news indeed.

I  am sure all those who know them will want to  pass on their  condolences to Katie at this sad time.

• Thanks 1