SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2023 Spring Galloway Star Camp

Physopto

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

Made it to the warm room briefly but didn't stay long.

Thought you'd gone to sleep, I asked Derek about 8pm if he was coming for a drink but he was being lightweight ! 🤣  didn't want to bang too loud in case you were having a kip.

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

The waxing of the utility tent has worked wonders with no dripping and all dry inside. So I can recommend the nikwax. 

I can also recommend the Fabsil, sorted my leaks on Friday night

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well a fair bit rain, but off and on. We managed a few hours of chat between showers. Having a good laugh, ( winding up  Damian). 🤣

Anyway pleasent afternoon.

Just need the other attendees to get here and some clear spells to officially  call it a Star Party.

• Haha 2

The weather at 5am this morning was very clear and I saw some stars so officially a star party by the chasney scale 😁.

20230322_064623.thumb.jpg.1277b855ed7110befc521bc8a73a18e7.jpg

Looks a lovely morning although the wind speed is around 50mph gusts so there was no chance of setting the scope up to get a few views in. 

Just on with my second cuppa and wait for the rest of the dob mob to arrive later this aft 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Glad you are all getting some clear skies, or is it clear glasses, 🤔 . Iam sure there will be plenty of banter in the warm room during the rainy seasonal nites, hope the skies clear up a bit lads and looking forward to some good images on the posts, will be thinking if you all while we are struggling to stay cool in gran canaria, 😀, hope to see all the old suspects in the autumn camp, enjoy the party guys, 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jamie56 said:

Glad you are all getting some clear skies, or is it clear glasses, 🤔 . Iam sure there will be plenty of banter in the warm room during the rainy seasonal nites, hope the skies clear up a bit lads and looking forward to some good images on the posts, will be thinking if you all while we are struggling to stay cool in gran canaria, 😀, hope to see all the old suspects in the autumn camp, enjoy the party guys, 

Derek is a bad influence 

20230322_215227.thumb.jpg.5eb1f31620bcd70d09716e1beae8c4b6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Hi everyone.. these images are stunning!! Not jealous at all that Nigel and me have missed this 😭😭 Were you able to image something last night? 
Sorry Derek that we couldn’t say goodbye to you and thank you for organising this star camp. The weather wasn’t great for us but the company was very good and made up for it 😊 We are looking forward to coming back in November 😊

Good luck for the remaining days/nights.

Nici, Nigel & Bailey 🐶 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, NicoleP said:

Hi everyone.. these images are stunning!! Not jealous at all that Nigel and me have missed this 😭😭 Were you able to image something last night? 
Sorry Derek that we couldn’t say goodbye to you and thank you for organising this star camp. The weather wasn’t great for us but the company was very good and made up for it 😊 We are looking forward to coming back in November 😊

Nici, Nigel & Bailey 🐶 

Glad you enjoyed your visit with us.  Hope you can make the Autumn event. We  enjoyed your company. All the best.

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, NicoleP said:

Nici, Nigel & Bailey 🐶 

No imaging sadly, it was still too windy and frequent rain showers or cloud passing over.

Was great to meet you both, hope you make it to the autumn camp to meet the rest of the crowd and, with a bit more luck, appreciate the quality of skies Galloway offers when its clear.

Enjoy your summer, see you there.

• Like 2

Hi all.

Well moved on to Portpatrick and a friends place. Nice clear skies 😃 at last. Well for a few good hours anyway. Good to see Orion's belt and other star clusters. Moon causing viewing problems as expected.

I suspect Steve and Calvin may be well chuffed back at the Dunroamin camp site as they remained with hope for better weather.

Sill some stars better than none. 🙂

As usual I wish to thank all who attended the Star Party and  especially Lesley and Ralph for hosting us all.

There were a lot of "no shows" this time. Many of whom had made much of saying how they would there on the 17 th and just after.

This puts a shadow over us all, as there were no apologies for not showing up.  Lesley has lost out financially and we all are being tarred with the same brush. If the Star Camp is to continue in the future we must at least be consistent and inform the owners if we cannot attend or  decide for whatever reason not to do so.

The Star Camp may soon be cancelled if this continues. Remember  .,..... This is the only Star Camp in Scotland at the present time!

Having said this those hardy soles who did attend had a great time renewing old and,    some newer friendships. We enjoyed good company and a few drams,

We are all hoping that things improve in the future, as it would be a great shame for this special Star Camp to end!

Note:

Although dates have been posted for the 2024 Spring Star Camp ........

There may be an alteration to the dates in a week or two. We may change this to February as a test case. Hopefully wishing for longer nights and better weather Now done.

Star Camp  Moved to February 2024

😀My apologies for any confusion, but I have consulted members present and asked for their input.

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 3

Made the trip home yesterday and managed it in four and half hours. Pretty uneventful thankfully. 

Only had 20miles of dry road all the way back. The weather over the A66 was shocking. 

Good to see old and new acquaintances and had a relaxing time.

Thanks to all that attended and sorry those that didn't attend missed it. 

Here's to autumn which I've already booked. Clear skies 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mapstar said:

Made the trip home yesterday and managed it in four and half hours. Pretty uneventful thankfully. 

Only had 20miles of dry road all the way back. The weather over the A66 was shocking. 

Good to see old and new acquaintances and had a relaxing time.

Thanks to all that attended and sorry those that didn't attend missed it. 

Here's to autumn which I've already booked. Clear skies 

Did you get any clear nights with your scope I saw a couple of pictures of the aurora.

19 hours ago, Physopto said:

Hi all.

In response to the note below about changing the Spring 2024 Star Camp dates.

This has now been done and agreed with Lesley the camp site owner.

SO........ Please go to the 2024 Spring Star camp post and read the revised dates !!!!!!!!!

Note:

Dates now agreed and final revised list posted as of today 26-03-2023

My apologies for any confusion, but I have consulted members present and asked for their input.

Edited by Physopto
  • Thanks 2

On 26/03/2023 at 10:54, wookie1965 said:

Did you get any clear nights with your scope I saw a couple of pictures of the aurora.

I never set the scope up as there wasn't a night where there was a full hours clear sky. The aurora shots were taken in gaps which were clear for 20mins 

• Haha 1