Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2023 Spring Galloway Star Camp

Physopto

Hi everyone.

As usual I am announcing the dates as soon as practical so that people who need to give employers very early dates for holidays can do so.

So once again I have the pleasure of announcing the dates for :-

Scotland's Premier Star Camp during the Spring of 2023  (March).

The Star Camp will be held at Drumroamin Camp Site as usual.

(1 South Balfern, Kirkinner, Newton Stewart, Dumfries and Galloway,DG8 9DB.)

Between the Saturday 18th and Friday the 24th March 2023. 

(The New Moon is on Tuesday the 21st March)

These dates still and will always contain a weekend so hopefully most can attend if at work during the week days.

Moon Phases for March 2023,

Target:    21/3/2023 17:24:23
Phase Name:    New Moon
Percent of Full:    0%
Azimuth:      255° 18' 12"
Altitude:      7° 29' 43"

Rise:    06:39 at 99°
Set:    18:18 at 266°

Next New:    20/4/2023 05:13  [29.5 days]
Next FQ:    29/3/2023 03:33  [7.4 days]
Next Full:    6/4/2023 05:35  [15.5 days]
Next LQ:    13/4/2023 10:12  [22.7 days]

Again the important detail here is the time that the Moon sets and rises.

This means that observers and imagers are still able to view/image some days before

and after the New Moon without moonlight pollution affecting them.

As always those wishing to attend a day or so early and/or stay longer can request this with Lesley at the time of booking!

Hope to see you all there.

Best wishes

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 4

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All,

Unfortunately I am now not able to attend this event. I have yet to notify Leslie, but will do so in the coming days. I have been double booked 🙄. I have not missed an event since I first attended a GSP SP over 10yrs ago.

Apologies to all who maybe impacted by the omission of my erudite personality and provision of food and drink😮

May I wish all attendees a fabulous time and will catch up with you all at the Autumnal event.

Apologies,

Ian

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Hi All,

Unfortunately I am now not able to attend this event. I have yet to notify Leslie, but will do so in the coming days. I have been double booked 🙄. I have not missed an event since I first attended a GSP SP over 10yrs ago.

Apologies to all who maybe impacted by the omission of my erudite personality and provision of food and drink😮

May I wish all attendees a fabulous time and will catch up with you all at the Autumnal event.

Apologies,

Ian

Sorry to hear this Ian, and a shame to break such an attendance record.  I'm sure Derek will be along to make a comment later on how quiet the camp may be without one of it's many characters. 

Hopefully see you in the Autumn unless I starve if I attend the spring event 🤣

• Haha 2

On 04/02/2023 at 22:29, Uplooker said:

Hi All,

Apologies,

Ian

Damian was right. We will miss your cheery chat. 🤔And........ Damian will loose some weight 😁

(I am sure he will be in touch pleading for a food parcel.)

Honestly though it is a shame, just make sure it never happens again! 🙄 aand Annette just said there may be a few scraps for a doggy bag 😂

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 1

Could we get clarification on the dates for this camp ?

I seem to remember Lesley saying she would be away the weekend of the 18/19th but that someone would be able to let us in.

I have my kids the following weekend so I think me n Stu are going to be there that weekend and I'll stay on through the week again but head home Friday 24th.

The Astronomy Scotland group on WhatsApp seem to be under the impression the dates are 20/26th so its all a bit unclear.

Thanks, Jon.

On 12/02/2023 at 22:07, LandyJon said:

Could we get clarification on the dates for this camp ?

I seem to remember Lesley saying she would be away the weekend of the 18/19th but that someone would be able to let us in.

I have my kids the following weekend so I think me n Stu are going to be there that weekend and I'll stay on through the week again but head home Friday 24th.

The Astronomy Scotland group on WhatsApp seem to be under the impression the dates are 20/26th so its all a bit unclear.

Thanks, Jon.

Hi Jon.......

Clarification ................... Nothing has changed ...............................Dates as above and have been for over a year😃

I do not know where all the confusion is coming from, Astronomy Scotland seems to be getting false info from somewhere!

As I have tried to make clear to everyone. Please.....

Join Stargazers Lounge and you can ask questions and Get Answers  Directly.

Any member of the public can look at the SGL website to see all Star Camp posts,

even with out joining the forum

If there had been any changes I would have posted them ASAP.

The toilets will not be cleaned over the weekend due to staff shortages. But will be done on Monday morning onwards.

As I mentioned in the original post it is up to individual attendees to arange any extra time with Lesley at the end or beginning of any Star Camp.

This camp has the weekend before (18/19th) prebooked as the New Moon is on the Tuesday the 21st. Hence the darkest time (weekend) is before the New Moon, not the weekend afterwards.

See you and Stu there and be great to meet up again😄

All the best,

Edited by Physopto
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Derek and all,

Alas, I have to cancel this one.  Firstly a problem with my wife's car MOT.  Due on 20th, tried to book it (and the annual service) last week, but the earliest it can be done by the garage I always use is the 20th!  OK I could have lived with that provided it passed or didn't need much doing - they can often get a needed part and fit it the same day.  So I might have been a late arrival on Monday or early-ish on Tuesday.  BUT my wife has just been notified of a date, Wednesday 22nd, for a long awaited minor operation (at the Freeman, Newcastle).  She won't be able to drive for several days afterwards, and will only have the use of one hand.  No new date available 'for the forseeable future'.  So I'll have to be here for her.  I am booked for November, and must get on with booking next year's events.  I'm writing to Lesley now anyway to cancel.  Although I'm a relative 'newbie' I enjoy the good fellowship and the dark sky 🙂  Hope to see you all in November. 

Sláinte,

Peter

• Sad 3

Sorry to hear that Peter. Hope all goes well and see you in the autumn. 

I've just rang, as I was reminded that I'd not booked. Will be there the 19th to the 26th.

Fingers crossed for everyone 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, petevasey said:

Hi, Derek and all,

Alas, I have to cancel this one.  Firstly a problem with my wife's car MOT.  Due on 20th, tried to book it (and the annual service) last week, but the earliest it can be done by the garage I always use is the 20th!  OK I could have lived with that provided it passed or didn't need much doing - they can often get a needed part and fit it the same day.  So I might have been a late arrival on Monday or early-ish on Tuesday.  BUT my wife has just been notified of a date, Wednesday 22nd, for a long awaited minor operation (at the Freeman, Newcastle).  She won't be able to drive for several days afterwards, and will only have the use of one hand.  No new date available 'for the forseeable future'.  So I'll have to be here for her.  I am booked for November, and must get on with booking next year's events.  I'm writing to Lesley now anyway to cancel.  Although I'm a relative 'newbie' I enjoy the good fellowship and the dark sky 🙂  Hope to see you all in November. 

Sláinte,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I hope the opperation goes well and your missus has a quick recovery.

You cannot miss helping her out so we will see you next time with any luck.

All the best to you both.

Derek

2 hours ago, mapstar said:

Sorry to hear that Peter. Hope all goes well and see you in the autumn. 

I've just rang, as I was reminded that I'd not booked. Will be there the 19th to the 26th.

Fingers crossed for everyone 

I'll call tonight Damian. Found it very hard to hear earlier today with all the traffic.

• Like 1

Hi folks,

Thanks for reconfirming the dates Derek, I let them know and linked them here.

Sorry to hear Ian and Peter won't be making it, hopefully see you both in the autumn and best wishes to your wife Peter.

Stu and I are booked in from Friday night, he can't spare midweek holiday days so he'll be away Sunday and I'll be there as long as I can last the cold 🥶 

Long range forecast for Friday doesn't look so clear, but if anyone else is arriving early,  we'll see you there.

Jon.

• Like 1

IMG_20230318_130526.thumb.jpg.0bdcc794523ade40b1fc876758d3b106.jpg

18 hours ago, LandyJon said:

20230317_163543.thumb.jpg.98936201b4f9630552b7cc3d612ee836.jpg

You're all missing this glorious sunshine and the crystal clear skies tonight !

Unfortunately delayed. There tomorrow lunch time ish!!

And you aremissing our mist and rain😂

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 1

Saw some clear skies tonight, enough to get setup, polar aligned and focused before rain stopped play.

At least its ready to go for any breaks we get in the week.

20230318_214542.thumb.jpg.b736c2ba2c55b4a10462af1b2ad8bd4a.jpg

covered up for the 1st shower, then gave up n packed ota away when the 2nd one started just as I snapped this.

• Like 2

Managed a safe journey up.

John and Derek were milling about and "assisted" with putting up the tent. 

After the utility tent is set up and I got all the gear stowed half an hour before the rain started.

Camp is quiet and  Currently everyone is holed up in their digs keeping dry and warm. Maybe venture to the warm room for a wee dram or two soon. 

Looking forward to some clear patches 

• Haha 1

Made it to the warm room briefly but didn't stay long.

Rain has persisted through the night and it's a damp start to the day. Looks to be clearing around midday so hopefully dry up a bit. 

Not much life on the campsite but only 4 attendees upto now.  

The waxing of the utility tent has worked wonders with no dripping and all dry inside. So I can recommend the nikwax. 

• Like 2