Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Optolong L-uLtimate 3nm dual band filter? Antlia 5nm Golden Filter? any info?

oymd

Morning everyone

Does anyone have any information on Optolong's 3nm dual band OSC new filter?

Its supposed to be called the L-uLtimate filter?

I am considering buying the L-eXtreme, but I watched a video yesterday by VISIBLE DARK on YouTube reviewing this new filter and comparing it to the L-eXtreme?

Also, CUIV THE LAZY GEEK, released a video a couple of days ago regarding a similar new dual band OSC filter by Antlia, called the Golden Filter. That one is a 5nm bandpass.

The L-eXtreme is 7nm in both bandpasses.

Does anyone have idea on availability and pricing?

• Like 1

On Antlia FB page , pricing is going to be around $380, how that corresponds this side of the pond but thst translates to about £280 and I'm not sure that anyone has any stock yet, it's that new

The 3nm ultimate , not sure that anyone has one for testing as yet

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The L-uLtimate is now listed on an Australian site: https://www.testar.com.au/collections/new-products/products/optolong-l-ultimate

No price given on that webpage, but the Google preview says 599 ASD, which converts to £323. No idea if that would be the 1.25" or 2" size.

599.JPG.349cbe63904c09bd1ba605b5e284aa30.JPG

Edited by Lee_P

From the lack of consistency between samples recently being reported in the case of the L-extreem at 7nm  I would not be confident  in becoming an early adopter of a 3nm filter from optolong. The margins of error are very much tighter than for the 7nm.  This is even worse as you have to get it correct twice per filter for duel band as opposed to once for a conventional single pass 3nm. 

Time will tell, from my knowledge of such things it would also be technically difficult to pre-shift the pass band for higher F-ratios due to the amount of shift for OIII and Ha being different even if it can be precisely controlled then it may result in the filter only being optimal over a narrow range of F-ratios. 

If optolong pull it off it will be a marvelous filter, however the chatter amongst those performing these tests is that Antlia are producing a more consistent product. 

Adam. 

Edited by Adam J

• 7 months later...

The Optolong L-Ultimate is now listed on FLO, with delivery expected mid to late September. Introductory price £349, regular price £389. Looks like this is the 2" mounted version. I've placed an order and plan on writing a review, including comparisons with my beloved L-eXtreme!

• Like 1