SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A bit of fun with M42

petevasey

Comet C/2021 A1 LEONARD brightened nicely towards the end of November 2021, and was due to pass near the interesting galaxies NGC 4631, the 'Whale' and NGC 4656, the 'Hockey Stick' on the night of 24th. Rising late and not at a decent height until after 2 am, but the forecast was for clear sky, so I set up my Canon 700D camera on my Meade 127 refractor with TS FLAT2 field flattener. The sky did clear beautifully, but unfortunately there was a bright 73% mag -11 waning gibbous Moon. But while waiting for the comet to reach a reasonable height, I decided to have a bit of fun with the wonderful bright Orion Nebula Messier 42. With this result, rather 'noisy' because of the moonlight, it is a combination of different exposures to bring out the bright trapezium area. 5 ISO 800 subs at 2 minutes, 9 at 30 seconds and 5 at 10 seconds. Processed in Deep Sky Stacker and Photoshop.  Comet pic here.

Cheers,

Peter

M42.jpg

Edited by petevasey
Added link to comet image
  • Like 7