Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 130EQ2

Hi there, 

I’ve been wanting to get a telescope for a while now and have figured with Christmas coming up would be a good opportunity to ask for money towards one. I’ve done some research but am new to all this so figured I’d get some advice from people who know what they’re doing instead of my mum 😂 apologies if this question gets asked over and over 

I’ve found this telescope and from reading different forums and stuff have found some possible upgrades to get along side the scope and mount possibly. Just wanting to know if these look alright really?

Telescope and mount - https://www.mhzoutdoor.com/uk_en/skywatcher-newton-explorer-130-eq2-sk1309eq2-8032539190251?utm_source=google&utm_medium=comparator&utm_campaign=GShop_mhz_Uk&utm_content=MHz

Red dot finder - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html

Finder scope - https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-right-angled-magnified-finderscopes.html

Also if anyone has any recommendations of carry cases or anything like that it would be appreciated, cheers!

Hi and welcome to SGL.

In my opinion, the SW 130 is a good entry telescope for visual astronomy. However the eq2 mount is going to be too flimsy for that tube. I would go for a more sturdy mount like EQ3 or even EQ35, if your budget allows. The latter would even let you step into astrophotography.

The despair you will suffer in the beginnings will be inversely proportional to the quality of the mount.

Investing in a good mount is one of those things you will never regret of.

• Like 1

Hi @Hollie42 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

The OTA is not bad for a beginner, but the tripod and mount are not ideal.

Have you considered this one?… https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

I would suggest you have a read/look here too!… https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes.html… before parting with company with your money.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hollie42 said:

Looking at the FLO page for this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/skywatcher-explorer-130.html  you can see their comparison of 130 vs 130P. Choose between the two depending on your plans going forward. As others have already said, if you can get a sturdier mount then go for it. And also look at Dobsonions. Skywatcher/Orion do have several good ones with similar apertures.

And as budget is a concern, look out for second hand ones too 🙂

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Like 1

Welcome to SGL. I agree with the above comments that the EQ2 mount is too flimsy for the SW 130. I had a similar mount with a 115mm F/4.3 Newtonian and that was too much for the EQ2. I only bought the combo because I wanted to use the optics and rich-field scope, and the combo was going dirt cheap because the store was discontinuing its astronomy gear. I later replaced the legs of the tripod by hardwood, removed the mount, and built a P-mount for binoculars on top. If you want to get into imaging, an EQ3-2 is the bare minimum I have used successfully. If you don't want to get into astrophotography, get a Dobsonian

• Like 1

Hello Hollie,

It is a difficult decision to make to decide what to start the hobby with.  Your telescope 130 x 900 is quite a long focal length.  Which is good for planets and the moon but there is a limited number of planets you can view.  So I would look at the 130 PDS OTA as it is slightly shorter but can still give you great views of planets and star clusters etc.  You may want to read this thread Imaging with the 130pds to give you an idea of what the scope can do.  As for the stand try and pick up a second hand Skywatcher EQ3 to start with.  As the type of stand will become more important the deeper you get into the hobby.  Best bet to try and visit a club and see what members are using and how they work as to what will suit your needs best.  You can spend a lot of money on this hobby and getting it right in the beginning can save a lot.

Regards Pete 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter-uk said:

Hello Hollie,

It is a difficult decision to make to decide what to start the hobby with.  Your telescope 130 x 900 is quite a long focal length.  Which is good for planets and the moon but there is a limited number of planets you can view.  So I would look at the 130 PDS OTA as it is slightly shorter but can still give you great views of planets and star clusters etc.  You may want to read this thread Imaging with the 130pds to give you an idea of what the scope can do.  As for the stand try and pick up a second hand Skywatcher EQ3 to start with.  As the type of stand will become more important the deeper you get into the hobby.  Best bet to try and visit a club and see what members are using and how they work as to what will suit your needs best.  You can spend a lot of money on this hobby and getting it right in the beginning can save a lot.

Regards Pete 

I wouldn’t describe f6.9 as long focal length. I mean, it’s just over half the focal length of a Mak. The 130pds is only f5. I’d pick an F7 system over an F5 system 100 times out of 100 if I were looking for an all-round scope.

• Like 1

Hi, 

I'm a beginner myself and after consulting this very forum (and the local telescope store) settled on the 130pds on the eq3-2 as my first scope setup earlier this month. 

I'm very happy with what I got, but it's a really difficult decision - there's soooo many options and at least twice that many opinions! I imagine it'd be very easy to end up with buyers remorse, especially considering how much it all costs! The important things for me - i.e. great advice I got here - were to think carefully about what I wanted to do with my first scope (I started out thinking about something easy to involve the kids with and maybe transport, but admitted to myself this is dad's toy for now 😀) and to actually visit a store, see the telescopes in the flesh, and have a conversation with the person selling them. 

You mentioned a telrad and a finder scope - i have a telrad on my scope and love it. It's very easy to use as everything is the right way up and normal sized in there. I took the finder scope which came with the 130pds off to fit the telrad to the shoe, but you could easily fit both to the tube if you wanted. 

Take your time, don't worry if you get opposing advice, and keep looking forward to your first light with it - whatever you choose its gonna be great! 

Good luck! 

• Like 3

On 24/11/2021 at 23:27, Hollie42 said:

Hi there, 

I’ve been wanting to get a telescope for a while now and have figured with Christmas coming up would be a good opportunity to ask for money towards one. I’ve done some research but am new to all this so figured I’d get some advice from people who know what they’re doing instead of my mum 😂 apologies if this question gets asked over and over 

I’ve found this telescope and from reading different forums and stuff have found some possible upgrades to get along side the scope and mount possibly. Just wanting to know if these look alright really?

Telescope and mount - https://www.mhzoutdoor.com/uk_en/skywatcher-newton-explorer-130-eq2-sk1309eq2-8032539190251?utm_source=google&utm_medium=comparator&utm_campaign=GShop_mhz_Uk&utm_content=MHz

Red dot finder - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html

Finder scope - https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-right-angled-magnified-finderscopes.html

Also if anyone has any recommendations of carry cases or anything like that it would be appreciated, cheers!

This is quite a popular first time telescope and if budget is an issue you will always find very nice, used examples on ebay that could save you quite a lot of money to spend on some extra eye pieces or accessories. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for helping. I accidentally stumbled across hidden Christmas presents earlier and have a sneaking suspicion my parents have bought me one! I think this is the last one I mentioned to them ( Sky-Watcher Heritage-130P Flextube) because I haven’t had time to properly look at the specification differences of the ones I had narrowed down. I’m very much looking forward to setting it up and having a play on Christmas 

2 hours ago, Hollie42 said:

Thank you all for helping. I accidentally stumbled across hidden Christmas presents earlier and have a sneaking suspicion my parents have bought me one! I think this is the last one I mentioned to them ( Sky-Watcher Heritage-130P Flextube) because I haven’t had time to properly look at the specification differences of the ones I had narrowed down. I’m very much looking forward to setting it up and having a play on Christmas 

If it is the 130p flextube, I don't think you'll regret it (I have its bigger brother, the 150p). Have a look on here for cheap and easy ways to improve it (making a light shield, sorting out the focuser) and it makes an easy-to-store or carry, versatile scope.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cajen2 said:

If it is the 130p flextube, I don't think you'll regret it (I have its bigger brother, the 150p). Have a look on here for cheap and easy ways to improve it (making a light shield, sorting out the focuser) and it makes an easy-to-store or carry, versatile scope.

Thankyou!