Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellamira 90mm Triplet vs WO GT81 IV

Hi,

Going to be ordering one of these over the weekend but can't decide which to go for. It's going to be used purely for imaging and to start with I'll be using my modded 600D but will later either use a 533MC or 183MC. I will be mounting an Eagle 3 on top plus a ZWO mini guide scope. Mount is a GEM45 so will take either no problem. Really like the Stella look with the carbon and red and the reducer is a simple screw on with no length adjustment needed like there is with the WO. But the WO always gets rave reviews.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been more than happy with mine, but I’ve moved from the GT71, not the GT81. Also using with a 533MCP, had to put another weight on the mount but other than that it’s been a pretty painless transition. I got the matching 0.8x FFFR but on the small sensor I suspect it wasn’t necessary - future proofs for a larger sensor later though.

What did you go with in the end. I went for the Mira and I'm ver pleased wit it. Have owned 2 W/O in the past and its on par with them in every way but the price tag. Save your self a few quid and go with the Mira. You won't regret it.

• 1 month later...
On 18/12/2021 at 14:55, Mattynorth said:

Save your self a few quid and go with the Mira. You won't regret it.

Just looking today 28/01/22 and 

William Optics GT-81 IV - Checked & Tuned £1,195

StellaMira 90mm ED Triplet f/6 Refractor Telescope £1,449

I can't comment on the GT81 but I have the SM 90mm and I can't fault it for the price (and probably more). Optically it is excellent with no false colour and with the flattener / reducer it can image at f4.8 which is great. Also, the focuser and other supplied kit is more than up to the job of astrophotography which is a nice change.