Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore Scientific 6.5mm 82° Series Eyepiece - Worth For Planets?

refractor2345

So, after reading some positive comments on the 6.7mm ES eyepiece (82 degrees) I thought upon the 6.5mm eyepiece (Link below!) And so I thought of hearing your experience with these eyepieces and even better, a straight up comparison! ( P.S. I want it to use it with a Barlow, for planetary viewing, so recommend one to use with this!)

Link https://explorescientificusa.com/collections/eyepiece/products/82-6-5mm

Edited by refractor2345
For posting link!

I have the 6.7mm and it is an excellent EP. I find it very handy with my Dob since the planets/moon stay in the FOV for longer. It barlows very well but that depends on seeing. I also have the 8.8 one, also excellent, when seeing is ok; I upgraded from the 8mm BST.

1 hour ago, refractor2345 said:

So, after reading some positive comments on the 6.7mm ES eyepiece (82 degrees) I thought upon the 6.5mm eyepiece (Link below!) And so I thought of hearing your experience with these eyepieces and even better, a straight up comparison! ( P.S. I want it to use it with a Barlow, for planetary viewing, so recommend one to use with this!)

what scope will you be using those with?

I feel that EP in 6-7mm range with barlow will give too much magnification in almost any scope. These focal lengths are best suited for F/5-F/10 scopes. With Maks or Cassegrain scopes that are F/12-F/15 and slow refractors - these EPs are starting to push past useful magnification (that will depend on your eyesight as well).

1 hour ago, refractor2345 said:

I think these are a new range - I've not seen much about them reported as yet.

For that sort of money I'd probably prefer a Tele Vue Delite or a Pentax XW 7mm both being well known and very well regarded eyepieces.

I had an ES 82 (non-LER) 4.7mm recently which was pretty good but that cost £75 (used).

Edited by John

2 hours ago, Kon said:

I have the 6.7mm and it is an excellent EP. I find it very handy with my Dob since the planets/moon stay in the FOV for longer. It barlows very well but that depends on seeing. I also have the 8.8 one, also excellent, when seeing is ok; I upgraded from the 8mm BST.

Have you had a chance to compare it with the newer 6.5mm 82° LER that the OP is asking about?

2 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Have you had a chance to compare it with the newer 6.5mm 82° LER that the OP is asking about?

I just realise that he asked for a different version..... Read it in a hurry...oops 😬

8 hours ago, vlaiv said:

what scope will you be using those with?

I feel that EP in 6-7mm range with barlow will give too much magnification in almost any scope. These focal lengths are best suited for F/5-F/10 scopes. With Maks or Cassegrain scopes that are F/12-F/15 and slow refractors - these EPs are starting to push past useful magnification (that will depend on your eyesight as well).

It will be a 128mm Refractor F/10, homemade

Edited by refractor2345

From the reports elsewhere , the newer LER versions don't seem to be as good as the older ES 82° series . 

WARNING: Do you wear glasses ? The LER stands for Long Eye Relief , but only thing - it isn't  . It has just 1 or 2mm more eye relief than the normal 82° version but it is still not suitable for glass wearers . You may have to look at the Morpheus series for comfortable eye relief without giving up much AFOV .

Edited by Voyager 3

5 hours ago, refractor2345 said:

It will be a 128mm Refractor F/10, homemade

In that case, 6.7mm will be suitable without barlow as will be 4.7mm

Barlow will be useful with say 11mm ES82 or with above two eyepieces for very special tasks such as double star splitting, but not for general planetary observing.

LER should be long eye relief, but realistically long eye relief is 18mm and above.

Most of 82° line (original) have short eye relief. Even without glasses it takes some getting used to them. 6.5mm one is claimed to have 16.5mm eye relief (from ES website), but I'm skeptical of that - it needs to be confirmed by someone that actually has that eyepiece.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, refractor2345 said:

So if you want to know why I want that eyepiece because it seems weird having only a 0.2mm difference and so why would they make it? Also, I didn't know the difference between LER and Non - LER eyepiece, can some one explain that?

No one really knows why they introduced the 3 new LER eyepieces to replace the older ones they're adjacent to.  Perhaps they had gotten so much feedback about tight eye relief in the older versions that they thought it would be prudent for them to redesign them and issue longer eye relief versions. :icon_scratch:

7 hours ago, Voyager 3 said:

From the reports elsewhere , the newer LER versions don't seem to be as good as the older ES 82° series .

So far, I haven't seen a detailed comparison of each focal length against its older predecessor, just some anecdotal reports.  If you've seen one, could you link to it?

3 hours ago, vlaiv said:

In that case, 6.7mm will be suitable without barlow as will be 4.7mm

Barlow will be useful with say 11mm ES82 or with above two eyepieces for very special tasks such as double star splitting, but not for general planetary observing.

LER should be long eye relief, but realistically long eye relief is 18mm and above.

Most of 82° line (original) have short eye relief. Even without glasses it takes some getting used to them. 6.5mm one is claimed to have 16.5mm eye relief (from ES website), but I'm skeptical of that - it needs to be confirmed by someone that actually has that eyepiece.

So, which eyepiece, ES, has best eye relief and good for planet? (P.S. No sarcasm intended!)

8 hours ago, Voyager 3 said:

WARNING: Do you wear glasses ? The LER stands for Long Eye Relief , but only thing - it isn't  . It has just 1 or 2mm more eye relief than the normal 82° version but it is still not suitable for glass wearers . You may have to look at the Morpheus series for comfortable eye relief without giving up much AFOV .

I have myopic eyes, which can be fixed by focusing, but Louis says:

30 minutes ago, Louis D said:

No one really knows why they introduced the 3 new LER eyepieces to replace the older ones they're adjacent to.  Perhaps they had gotten so much feedback about tight eye relief in the older versions that they thought it would be prudent for them to redesign them and issue longer eye relief versions. :icon_scratch:

So far, I haven't seen a detailed comparison of each focal length against its older predecessor, just some anecdotal reports.  If you've seen one, could you link to it?

The 3mm LER have higher, well, Long eye relief, or is it just different with each eyepiece?

2 hours ago, refractor2345 said:

So, which eyepiece, ES, has best eye relief and good for planet? (P.S. No sarcasm intended!)

I have ES82 6.7mm, ES82 11mm, ES62 5.5mm.

To me - with my scopes these are all good. Not every scope / every eyepiece combination works though.

For example - both 5.5mm and 6.7mm are too much for my F/13 4" Maksutov. For that one I wish I had 8.8mm ES82, or maybe 9mm ES62.

With F/10 4" refractor - all are good, but 5.5mm will depend on seeing on particular night.

With F/6 8" newtonian - 11mm is really not planetary EP and I would use it barlowed. Other two are excellent.

If you want really good planetary eyepieces with plenty of eye relief then either look at Vixen SLV line if you can tolerate narrow field of view. For larger FOV but not completely wide - look at Televue Delite range.

For larger FOV - Baader Morpheus should be considered.

Do keep in mind that you don't have to spend a lot of money with F/10 scope to get good planetary performance with even wider field eyepieces.

3 hours ago, Voyager 3 said:

Hi Louis , 

I too haven't seen a direct comparison but @Don Pensack has tried it and maybe he will chime in . 

I have used the new 8.5mm, 6.5mm, and 4.5mm.

They are not good, with the most internal light scatter I've ever seen in eyepieces.

Additionally, the 4.5mm has serious chromatic aberration.

The older 8.8mm, 6.7mm, and 4.7mm were better eyepieces.

ES does not make "planetary" focal lengths with long eye reliefs.

The post by vlaiv points out a few that might work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

I have used the new 8.5mm, 6.5mm, and 4.5mm.

They are not good, with the most internal light scatter I've ever seen in eyepieces.

Additionally, the 4.5mm has serious chromatic aberration.

The older 8.8mm, 6.7mm, and 4.7mm were better eyepieces.

ES does not make "planetary" focal lengths with long eye reliefs.

The post by vlaiv points out a few that might work.

Thanks for the post, I will look into the 6.7mm eyepiece

20 hours ago, vlaiv said:

I have ES82 6.7mm, ES82 11mm, ES62 5.5mm.

To me - with my scopes these are all good. Not every scope / every eyepiece combination works though.

For example - both 5.5mm and 6.7mm are too much for my F/13 4" Maksutov. For that one I wish I had 8.8mm ES82, or maybe 9mm ES62.

With F/10 4" refractor - all are good, but 5.5mm will depend on seeing on particular night.

With F/6 8" newtonian - 11mm is really not planetary EP and I would use it barlowed. Other two are excellent.

If you want really good planetary eyepieces with plenty of eye relief then either look at Vixen SLV line if you can tolerate narrow field of view. For larger FOV but not completely wide - look at Televue Delite range.

For larger FOV - Baader Morpheus should be considered.

Do keep in mind that you don't have to spend a lot of money with F/10 scope to get good planetary performance with even wider field eyepieces.

If you don't like the es82 11mm I'm still looking to buy one😁