Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Setting up EQ mod for laptop control

Astroblagger

Hi,

This will work with the HEQ5 https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

I am a cheapskate and I just cut an ethernet cable and soldered this to a FTDI232R board which is much cheaper but you need to be able to solder and to be confident that you do not end up getting 12v in the wrong place! Patriot Astro has a good video about doing this on YouTube here 

Good luck with whatever you choose and above all Clear Skies!

Either an eqmod/eqdir cable or the Skywatcher WiFi unit will give you eqmod control. If your mount is a recent purchase and has it's own USB port then a simple USB A-B printer type cable could be used.

Given the times I've seen people needing to replace cheap eqmod cables I'd suggest one of the main dealers or put a wanted ad here on SGL. If you prefer the Wi-Fi then of course look for the best deal as it's the same unit.

If you go the cable route make sure you get the right one, I picked up one for my AZ-GTi as the buyer bought the wrong one.

5 hours ago, Astroblagger said:

Hello 

I want to get rid of my handset on my heq5 pro and get EQ mod set up. Is the only hardware  i  need just the cable? And Where is the best place to pick up the cable? 

Thanks. 

Replace the handset with this cable

Down load the ASCOM platform and EQMOD software. Then follow the instructions in this post