SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help Please!

I was reading about the scopes on offer (on here) and I had made up my mind on the Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 This one from here - http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=200eq5

But then I was talking to a friend on the phone last night and he said not to go for it (I was all ready!!) He said go for the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian This one here - http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dobsky200

I was all ready and now I've been put off again. So I'm back to ask...no beg you all for your thoughts. I just need a little push in the right direction. I'm going to be using it for looking at planets, hopefully some DS things and I already have a 450D (and I will try taking some photos!)

Please push me!

I would go for the 200p as the eq5 mount is upgradeable by the addition of motors for tracking objects and synscan goto, especially if you intend on doing any imaging, especially important for DSO long exposure work. The nature of the dobsonian mount means you will have to keep nudging the OTA mount to keep objects in the field of view, which may introduce problems for longer exposures. The controls on the eq5 will provide more stable/smoother manual tracking which is important if imaging. Not sure about the cost of motorizing a dobsonian mount, but the eq5 can be upgraded to an all singing, dancing synscan goto system for about £250. I am also biased as I have the same setup - 200p, eq5 with the addition of the synscan goto upgrade and I love it. I am sure some on here may disagree, but when choosing bear in mind where you want to use it, what you want from it, portability if your dark site is not based at home etc, etc. There are so many variables, it depends what you as an individual wants from you telescope. Whatever choice you make I don't think you will be disappointed.

Hope this helps

Regards

Carl

Hi and thanks for the info.

Do any of you have sample photos of some photos taken with the Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 and canon 350 to 450d's or know where I can find some?

Would be great to see some of what I MIGHT/SHOULD! be able to take.

thank you both.

William

I took this image last night with a C8N which is celestrons equivalent to the Skywatcher 200 . Mine is a HEQ5 mount which is a bit beefier than the EQ5.

Hope this gives you some idea of what you will be able to achieve

post-14135-133877358238_thumb.jpg

The two telescopes you mention will give the same views as they use the same optics. However, for astroimaging there is no substitue for a motor driven equatorial mount.

Astroimaging is a black art in itself and takes time to learn.

Mike

Thank you all for the help.

What else would I need to take some photos. I have a 450D and I'm going for the 200p, so what else do I need to attach my camera to this Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 Scope.

Thanks!

A T ring adapter for your make of camera and that maybe all you need as the 200p draw tube is threaded to take the T ring already. You may also need some extension tubes if getting focus is a problem. I use a telescopic tube extender which can also house an eyepiece, this gives more magnification. Dont forget when you use your camera with your telescope the idea is that the telescope totally replaces your camera lens. Of course to begin with you could try your hand at imaging by simply piggy backing your camera onto the telescope, this basically means your camera is utilising the telescope as a platform. for this all you would need is a tripod head attached normally to one of the OTA tube rings/clamps. hope this helps a little.

Carl

• 2 months later...

It's a great looking (no so little telescope) and thanks for all the help on this.

I got Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 in the end, have had it over a month now and not even had it outside, in fact just taken it all out of the box once. I think its the size, I need something smaller.

Ok now I understand, so both the scope and the mount would be a problem, I really don't know what to advise as any reasonable size scope will require a pretty hefty mount especially if you want to take photos.

I have a Vixen Sphinx on a HAL tripod which combined is pretty light and amazingly sturdy but new they are well expensive but maybe. like me, you could pick a secondhand one up at a reasonable price. BTW the Sphinx will take my 10" SNT (10Kg) as a max load and still track OK. For the scope maybe a secondhand ED refractor they are quite portable, my 120ED is about 5Kg and a 80ED is nothing in weight.

Just some ideas

Pizza

Archived