Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Planisphere

LDW1

I had one like yours, bought on a trip to the USA, and still have another. Very useful. A nice simple 'quick reference and computer-free' device to get you orientated with none of that infuriating clicking, dragging, updating and general faffing associated with IT planetaria. Of course the IT planetaria are great for detailed stuff but if you want to sit down in the afternoon and look ahead, grab a planisphere and the appropriate volume of https://www.ebay.fr/itm/The-Night-Sky-Observers-Guide-Autumn-Winter-1-de-Livre-/124991170710?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=709-53476-19255-0&campid=5338666530&toolid=10044&customid=CjwKCAiAv_KMBhAzEiwAs-rX1GsANBjGX_hm5nc6ul6pa4GBwW_nfV30EqcSfnAbZZddv0MtO1R_pRoCFfcQAvD_BwE&gclid=CjwKCAiAv_KMBhAzEiwAs-rX1GsANBjGX_hm5nc6ul6pa4GBwW_nfV30EqcSfnAbZZddv0MtO1R_pRoCFfcQAvD_BwE ...and enjoy your afternoon.

While doing so you can put your smartphone where it belongs - in a bucket of water!

:Dlly

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I had one like yours, bought on a trip to the USA, and still have another. Very useful. A nice simple 'quick reference and computer-free' device to get you orientated with none of that infuriating clicking, dragging, updating and general faffing associated with IT planetaria. Of course the IT planetaria are great for detailed stuff but if you want to sit down in the afternoon and look ahead, grab a planisphere and the appropriate volume of https://www.ebay.fr/itm/The-Night-Sky-Observers-Guide-Autumn-Winter-1-de-Livre-/124991170710?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=709-53476-19255-0&campid=5338666530&toolid=10044&customid=CjwKCAiAv_KMBhAzEiwAs-rX1GsANBjGX_hm5nc6ul6pa4GBwW_nfV30EqcSfnAbZZddv0MtO1R_pRoCFfcQAvD_BwE&gclid=CjwKCAiAv_KMBhAzEiwAs-rX1GsANBjGX_hm5nc6ul6pa4GBwW_nfV30EqcSfnAbZZddv0MtO1R_pRoCFfcQAvD_BwE ...and enjoy your afternoon.

While doing so you can put your smartphone where it belongs - in a bucket of water!

:Dlly

LOL !

• Haha 1

I'm with Olly and niallk - even after five decades of observing, I'm using a planisphere as the fastest way to get an overview what's up there this night. Within a minute I get the answer. Complements perfectly SkySafari and printed guides. (Olly - thanks for the ebay link -  the NSOG seems to be out of print atm; no idea, whether there will be a reprint  of volumes 1+2).

No use of putting my smartphone into a bucket of water - it's waterproof! 😉

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 2

On 23/11/2021 at 17:40, ollypenrice said:

Olly, I put my smartphone in a bucket of water but now it won’t work so I can’t order the planisphere. What to do? 🤪

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Olly, I put my smartphone in a bucket of water but now it won’t work so I can’t order the planisphere. What to do? 🤪

Maybe someone can lend you one, lol.

8 minutes ago, John said:

Or even, Stu could make one ?:

https://www.jodrellbank.net/make-your-own-planisphere/

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

It's easy to make a smartphone, as everyone my age knows from their childhood. You get two old bean tins, bosh a hole in the bottom of each, connect them via a long length of string, pull it tight and talk to each other.

Olly

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I'm thinking there is a challenge here to bring to  the humble planisphere a technical mid life update.    I'm thinking an Arduino programmed to display on a small TFT touch screen a list of constellations available for the selected position of the planisphere.  An encoder driven by the date selector wheel would communicate its position to the Arduino.  A  constellation could then be selected from the small touch screen at which the constellation stars would be individually illuminated , backlit via optical fibres.  Add a sprinkling of copper flashing and 15 mm copper pipe unions and you have a cool steam punk look to the assembly. :) 

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/11/2021 at 16:37, LDW1 said:

How many own a Planisphere ?  How many know how to use one ?  How many still use one ?  Here is mine but it gathers dust, I am making it a point to use it again but not every time.726BDCD5-E643-4031-993C-6E21E8BC2743.thumb.jpeg.a845679b18382a80bee0d4f298d5a584.jpeg

The original observers app, have one myself and every year still buy the phillips annual observers guide book even though i have a host of smart apps on my phone. 

• Like 1

I still use (and have given several as presents) the  Phillips 11" variety which are still (?) available for several latitudes. The instructions alone are a primer for getting to grips with the sky.  What I use much more often is the annual printed Alamanac published by S&T. An example for 2012 (the rare pdf edition!!!!) is attached for the curious: I await with eager anticipation my 2022 edition!

ST_2012Almanac.pdf

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stephenstargazer said:

I still use (and have given several as presents) the  Phillips 11" variety which are still (?) available for several latitudes. The instructions alone are a primer for getting to grips with the sky.  What I use much more often is the annual printed Alamanac published by S&T. An example for 2012 (the rare pdf edition!!!!) is attached for the curious: I await with eager anticipation my 2022 edition!

ST_2012Almanac.pdf 2.96 MB · 3 downloads

Wonderful !  I'm at 46° north.