Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2 inch or 1.25inch diagonal for ED72?

Hi All

I very recently received a skywatcher 72ed. The scope has a two inch visual back. My question is, should i buy a 2inch to 1.25inch reducer and buy a 1.25 diagonal? Or just buy a 2inch diagonal (which has a reducer with it) and use my current 1.25inch eyepieces?

I'm aware that the 2inch eyepieces will give a bigger field of view above a certain focal length, but is that the only benefit?

I currently don't have any diagonals to use.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or advice.

Cheers

john

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to 2 inch or 1.25inch diagonal for ED72?

Depends if you have or intend to get other scopes that could benefit from a 2" diagonal. One will work with the 72ED but it will add weight and so too will a 2" eyepiece. A 1.25" diagonal paired with a 1.25" 24mm 68deg type eyepiece will give a 3.8deg field which is very good.. A 32mm plossl will give a similar FOV as well. 

I have the Baader 32mm T2 prism diagonal which can use 1.25" and 2" nosepieces.

I see you have a 24mm Hyperion, that can be used in either size diagonal.

Edited by Franklin
addition

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/11/2021 at 16:25, Franklin said:

Depends if you have or intend to get other scopes that could benefit from a 2" diagonal. One will work with the 72ED but it will add weight and so too will a 2" eyepiece. A 1.25" diagonal paired with a 1.25" 24mm 68deg type eyepiece will give a 3.8deg field which is very good.. A 32mm plossl will give a similar FOV as well. 

I have the Baader 32mm T2 prism diagonal which can use 1.25" and 2" nosepieces.

I see you have a 24mm Hyperion, that can be used in either size diagonal.

thanks for the reply. I have gone for a 1.25 inch diagonal to save on weight. :)