Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC7822 in Cepheus - Central area - Updated with additional data

Clarkey

After what seems like months without any clear sky, I managed to get set up last night. Unfortunately the full moon really was not helping, neither were the occasional passing clouds. However, I did eventually manage about 7.5 hours of usable data - hopefully I can add to this at a later date as it really could so with another full night of data collection.

Taken with a TS Photon F4 newtonian using a ASI1600mm pro and ZWO narrowband filters - hence the bloated blue channel. Approximately 3.5 hours of Ha, 2 each of SII and OIII all in 5 minute subs. I had trouble removing the gradients, largely down the lunar glare which is why the back ground is not so good. Processed in APP, Affinity and finished with Topaz Denoise. I feel it is a little 'over the top' in terms of processing but given the conditions I am not too displeased with the result.

Comment and processing guidance gratefully received as always

NGC7822 AP4d.jpg

• Like 8

• Clarkey changed the title to NGC7822 in Cepheus - Central area - Updated with additional data

Last night I managed to get some additional integration time on this, giving a total of 13 hours (66x5 Ha, 49x5 OIII and 41xSII). The result is below. Bit better background and less gradient. I also managed to get a better depth in the OIII. I would have liked to get a bit more, but unfortunately the coma corrector suffered from dew problems.

I would like peoples opinion on the level of saturation and contrast. I'm never sure whether to exaggerate the colour and contrast or leave it as a more 'natural' look?

Critical comment welcome.

NGC7822_SHO2 AP1.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clarkey said:

I would like peoples opinion on the level of saturation and contrast. I'm never sure whether to exaggerate the colour and contrast or leave it as a more 'natural' look?

Great image.  Whatever you prefer is the right answer to this question. 

I like the colour & brightness in the second, that lower level of green (but still present) looks great.  Good depth to it too.

• Thanks 1