Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need eye pieces

So i bought a 8" Edge HD  got a great deal but no eye pieces. So 1.25" or 2" and which one to buy. I know those kits aren't the best but I am tempted. I need a couple of good once all round for both deep space and planetary exploring. 

4 hours ago, Kcappoen said:

So i bought a 8" Edge HD  got a great deal but no eye pieces. So 1.25" or 2" and which one to buy. I know those kits aren't the best but I am tempted. I need a couple of good once all round for both deep space and planetary exploring. 

honestly forget the kits, you see them for sale 2nd hand all the time, that alone should tell you not to bother. 

• Like 1

I would go 2" for the wider field of view these give, and if your on a budget then either 2nd hand or if you have a bit of spare cash, how about these (or US equivalent) in 38 and 26, couple them with a 2" barlow and you will cover most bases with just two eyepieces.  

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/panaview-2-eyepieces.html

866199576_2021-11-21(2).png.d3f98a6dbb0fd6ac347d1be4e1696719.png

You could add a 10mm eyepiece later for extra high power as that would give you x200.

Anyway, this is just a quick idea but is based broadly upon what I use with my dob. Trust me you would be much more satisfied with the views, ease of use and results from the above setup over than what a kit would give you.

Nice to see others have an eyepiece spreadsheet too. Mine's below.

My standard kit, regardless of which scope I'm using, is the 22mm, 13mm, 6mm, 5mm, and 4mm. The eyepiece chart gives an idea as to what these do in terms of field of view and magnification; also what I use them for.

Eyepieces.thumb.jpg.66766f94cfe1a54708d35de20e03e268.jpg

I have a lot more than I need lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

Nice to see others have an eyepiece spreadsheet too. Mine's below.

My standard kit, regardless of which scope I'm using, is the 22mm, 13mm, 6mm, 5mm, and 4mm. The eyepiece chart gives an idea as to what these do in terms of field of view and magnification; also what I use them for.

Eyepieces.thumb.jpg.66766f94cfe1a54708d35de20e03e268.jpg

I have a lot more than I need lol.

Where's the 5mm ortho🤣

• Haha 1

Hi @Kcappoen and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Forget about purchasing a 'complete' set/kit.

I tend to have a mixed bag [ahem... case] of different brands and types, ranging from Ortho's, Plossl's, Nagler's, a Radian, and couple of zoom's.

If you wear glasses/spectacles, then you may find that those with long eye-relief are better. I wear glasses/spectacles, but not whilst observing.

BTW - my 'scopes are a TeleVue Ranger, a 're-modded' Meade ETX105 and a Celestron C6/SCT-xlt.

To give you an idea of size comparison between 1.25" and 2"... below is my TeleVue 13mm collection...

PIC044.JPG.54acb21c9b4e6e69cda54fdd37a1defe.JPG

left: Plossl      centre: Nagler Type 1      right: Nagler Type 6

Edited by Philip R

7 hours ago, Shimrod said:

It's worth noting that the 8" EdgeHD comes with a 1.25" visual back and diagonal, so 2" eyepieces may require replacement of both of those as well.

Didn't actually know this, that being the case it may change my thoughts on selection. 

I owned for a while an 8SE which accepted a 2" diagonal so simply assumed it would be the same.

An alternative idea are the explore scientific 62 degree eyepieces with a 26mm the highest at 1.25 but having said that a 32mm plossl which is a cheaper eyepiece gives the same FOV albeit with a larger exit pupil.