Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hey all, noobie here

imagebylight

Just wanna say hi, and thanks for such an awesome forum.

new to astronomy, had a set of bins for a while and learning the skies but now working hard to save up for telescope setup for imaging, I know I know ! but ive been a photographer for many years and now wanting to transfer skills.

Ali

Oxford

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Take your time and do the research. Astrophotography is quite different from regular photography and that tends to confuse many with experience in regular photography when first starting out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Take your time and do the research. Astrophotography is quite different from regular photography and that tends to confuse many with experience in regular photography when first starting out.

Thanks, 

Will take my time, gonna be a few months yet before I have money saved for proper setup!!

Was thinking of getting skywatcher adventure mount so I can atleast track and follow using exiting equipment, atleast this way I'm not diving off the deep end 

13 minutes ago, imagebylight said:

Was thinking of getting skywatcher adventure mount so I can atleast track and follow using exiting equipment, atleast this way I'm not diving off the deep end 

That is very good thing to do.

Starting off with equipment that you already have and adding simple star tracker is cost effective way to learn the ropes of AP.

You'll need to learn and practice things like calibration, stacking and processing of your images. Working at low focal lengths (btw even something considered long focal length in regular photography world - like telephoto lens of 300mm is only "starter" FL in AP world) is not going to put too much strain on things like polar alignment and precision of tracking.

You might also want to get a book that explains different things you need to know in AP world. Often recommended is this one:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

That is very good thing to do.

Starting off with equipment that you already have and adding simple star tracker is cost effective way to learn the ropes of AP.

Welcome,  and I second the above post. 

• 4 weeks later...