Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope comparison

Hi - I would be interested to know what peoples views of of the CELESTRON ASTRO FI 6 INCH SCT TELESCOPE vs the SW 127 AZI GTI - obviously it’s a SCT vs a Mak but is the extra 1” of apature worth it bs what I believe to be the superior AZI GTI mount 

• 10 months later...

I will have ago at answering.

Although I own and use a C6, one of my other ‘scopes is the ETX105. Both are about the same focal length. C6 = 1500mm @f:10 / ETX105 = 1470mm @f:14

post-4682-0-08081900-1394160327_thumb.jpg

above: my C6 and ETX105

I found that planet discs are slightly bigger and I can see a few more of Saturn’s moons with the C6 then with the ETX105.

If you decide you want to go down the planetary-imaging rabbit-hole, then I think the C6 would be the better option, (not with a f:6.3 FF/FR* and you will need a Barlow lens or PowerMate for capturing planets). As far as I am aware, a dedicated/commercial FF/FR* for Maksutov telescopes does not exist. (edited: Mon17Oct2022).

For ease of transport then the ETX105 is a winner IMHO. It can be packed in a padded backpack/rucksack, along with a few e/p’s and accessories. Also, it is airline friendly, (depending on the airline carry-on baggage policy). The C6 is bulky and when packed/stored in a storage case or padded bag. It can take up of a lot space. Dedicated cases cost almost the same price as the OTA. By the time you have included a mount and tripod you have got quite a load to haul from A to Z.

A5057402-94DE-4E35-A2DE-D8A6BDEFB67B.thumb.jpeg.2165097e2282e5347993d6249a14bd74.jpeg

above: my ETX105 in ‘grab & go’ mode.

BTW... @Hadi Jafar welcome to SGL. :hello2:

* FF/FR = field flattener/focal reducer.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 19:38, Philip R said:

I will have ago at answering.

Although I own and use a C6, one of my other ‘scopes is the ETX105. Both are about the same focal length. C6 = 1500mm @f:10 / ETX105 = 1470mm @f:14

post-4682-0-08081900-1394160327_thumb.jpg

above: my C6 and ETX105

I found that planet discs are slightly bigger and I can see a few more of Saturn’s moons with the C6 then with the ETX105.

If you decide you want to go down the planetary-imaging rabbit-hole, then I think the C6 would be the better option with a f:6.3 FF/FR*. As far as I am aware, a dedicated/commercial FF/FR* for Maksutov telescopes does not exist.

For ease of transport then the ETX105 is a winner IMHO. It can be packed in a padded backpack/rucksack, along with a few e/p’s and accessories. Also, it is airline friendly, (depending on the airline carry-on baggage policy). The C6 is bulky and when packed/stored in a storage case or padded bag. It can take up of a lot space. Dedicated cases cost almost the same price as the OTA. By the time you have included a mount and tripod you have got quite a load to haul from A to Z.

A5057402-94DE-4E35-A2DE-D8A6BDEFB67B.thumb.jpeg.2165097e2282e5347993d6249a14bd74.jpeg

above: my ETX105 in ‘grab & go’ mode.

BTW... @Hadi Jafar welcome to SGL. :hello2:

* FF/FR = field flattener/focal reducer.

Thank you for your reply @Philip R and the warm welcome 😁 but could you do me a favor from this youtube , does this Astro Fi 6 look smaller comparing to your C6? Cause read it online that it is much lighter (around 2.3kg ). Thanks in advance 😁 

Edited by Hadi Jafar
tagging a user
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Hadi Jafar said:

Thank you for your reply @Philip R and the warm welcome 😁 but could you do me a favor from this youtube , does this Astro Fi 6 look smaller comparing to your C6? Cause read it online that it is much lighter (around 2.3kg ). Thanks in advance 😁 

Not sure! The OTA does look the same size to mine.

I think @Ags has this setup. If she has, then I am sure she will add a comment.

All the C6 variants are the same except for the paint job as far as I can tell. I bought the AstroFI C6 OTA for a really good price a couple of years ago and I use it with an AZ-GTI. 

The weights quoted online by Celestron for the C6 make no sense at all. I've weighed my C6 and it's 3.3 kgs (tube only, no finderscope or diagonal attached).

Edited by Ags

Ok so to put my limited knowledge to some use ... the 127 SW Mak apparently has a slightly less that 127 mm aperture ...so in effect the difference may be more than 1" . 

Both will give fine planetary views . 

The corrector plate on the front of the C6 is thinner than the plate on the mak . 

Both are "Dew Magnets " 

Larger Aperture invariably is better 

Maks tend to hold collimation better ( imo) 

You do get a bit of mirror shift in the mak . 

Stu 

3 hours ago, Ags said:

All the C6 variants are the same except for the paint job as far as I can tell. I bought the AstroFI C6 OTA for a really good price a couple of years ago and I use it with an AZ-GTI. 

The weights quoted online by Celestron for the C6 make no sense at all. I've weighed my C6 and it's 3.3 kgs (tube only, no finderscope or diagonal attached).

Hi @Ags thank you was thinking of this as well getting Astro Fi C6 and AZ-GTI but would be too expansive for me since there no used one here (at least no one is selling it) I heard that the mount on the Astro Fi C6 not suited for it and I see complains about not be able to align it do you have any experience on the mount? 

3 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Ok so to put my limited knowledge to some use ... the 127 SW Mak apparently has a slightly less that 127 mm aperture ...so in effect the difference may be more than 1" . 

Both will give fine planetary views . 

The corrector plate on the front of the C6 is thinner than the plate on the mak . 

Both are "Dew Magnets " 

Larger Aperture invariably is better 

Maks tend to hold collimation better ( imo) 

Stu 

@Stu1smartcookie same as what I have read but... here the Astro Fi C6 is almost similar price with AZ-GTi with Mak 127mm, 

Astro Fi 6 is versatile and it is 6 inch but has a bad mount and not easy to align (from what I read)

Mak 127mm good for planet not so good for DSO but the AZ-GTI mount is good ,easy to use , can convert it to Eq mount

So now I'm torn between which to choose 🤯

The AZ-Gti is certainly a good , compact mount , agreed . The Mak 127 mm is ok for certain DSO's but has a very narrow field of view (FOV) ... yes the AZ-GTi can be converted to EQ mode but you need to factor in buying a wedge ! I have an 8" sct and its a great scope , but the mount , hmmm , a bit "iffy " although it does the job . The fact remains that the bigger the aperture , the better . But , the 127 and GTi mount is a good package and will serve you well . 

The choice is yours .

:)

2 hours ago, Hadi Jafar said:

Hi @Ags thank you was thinking of this as well getting Astro Fi C6 and AZ-GTI but would be too expansive for me since there no used one here (at least no one is selling it) I heard that the mount on the Astro Fi C6 not suited for it and I see complains about not be able to align it do you have any experience on the mount? 

I've never used the AstroFI mount, but I have also heard it is at its limit with the C6.

12 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

The AZ-Gti is certainly a good , compact mount , agreed . The Mak 127 mm is ok for certain DSO's but has a very narrow field of view (FOV) ... yes the AZ-GTi can be converted to EQ mode but you need to factor in buying a wedge ! I have an 8" sct and its a great scope , but the mount , hmmm , a bit "iffy " although it does the job . The fact remains that the bigger the aperture , the better . But , the 127 and GTi mount is a good package and will serve you well . 

The choice is yours .

:)

Hahaha and that is why deciding it making it a bit difficult. Thank you very much @Stu1smartcookie really appreciate your input do tell if you have more that would be easier for me to decide 😁 

Edited by Hadi Jafar

11 hours ago, Ags said:

I've never used the AstroFI mount, but I have also heard it is at its limit with the C6.

True and couldn't really see a lot of people using or giving review on youtube so not that easy to decide but again it is C6. Thanks @Ags

Edited by Hadi Jafar

5 hours ago, Hadi Jafar said:

Hahaha and that is why deciding it making it a bit difficult. Thank you very much @Stu1smartcookie really appreciate your input do tell if you have more that would be easier for me to decide 😁 

Well , i can only really comment on the 127 Mak ... which i have owned , er , twice ...lol . Its a really nice compact scope that fits very well on the az-gti . And as planets and luna are its forte , it would be a great buy ... especially now when Jupiter and Saturn are so well placed , from here anyway . 

Stu

On 10/10/2022 at 13:38, Philip R said:

If you decide you want to go down the planetary-imaging rabbit-hole, then I think the C6 would be the better option with a f:6.3 FF/FR*. As far as I am aware, a dedicated/commercial FF/FR* for Maksutov telescopes does not exist.

I don't think you'd want a reducer for planetary imaging. Rather the opposite - a Barlow or powermate. The reducer would suit the deep sky imager but I would fervently not recommend either scope for DS imaging.

Olly

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:I don't think you'd want a reducer for planetary imaging. Rather the opposite - a Barlow or powermate. The reducer would suit the deep sky imager but I would fervently not recommend either scope for DS imaging.

Olly

Ah yes! Completely forgot about that. Planetary imaging is in a different league to other types of astro-imaging.

On 13/10/2022 at 05:26, Stu1smartcookie said:

I've bought two used Synta 127 Maks (Orion and Celestron liveries) for me and my grown daughter, and neither has mirror shift, flop, or even lag when changing focus direction.  I have been rather surprised and satisfied by this.

On 13/10/2022 at 05:26, Stu1smartcookie said:

The general agreement is that it has about 118mm of clear aperture, or 4.6".

On 13/10/2022 at 08:48, Stu1smartcookie said:

The Mak 127 mm is ok for certain DSO's but has a very narrow field of view (FOV)

With a 2" visual back (now standard on US Sky-Watcher Skymax models), you can get down to about 45x and and have decent wide field views with about 35% vignetting in the outer field which is surprisingly hard to detect visually.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Louis D said:

I've bought two used Synta 127 Maks (Orion and Celestron liveries) for me and my grown daughter, and neither has mirror shift, flop, or even lag when changing focus direction.  I have been rather surprised and satisfied by this.

The general agreement is that it has about 118mm of clear aperture, or 4.6".

With a 2" visual back (now standard on US Sky-Watcher Skymax models), you can get down to about 45x and and have decent wide field views with about 35% vignetting in the outer field which is surprisingly hard to detect visually.

Hi @Louis D but if not mistaken the 2" does not come with the AZ-GTI and if you buy the OTA which has 2" it is weight more than what the AZ-GTI can carry

17 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Well , i can only really comment on the 127 Mak ... which i have owned , er , twice ...lol . Its a really nice compact scope that fits very well on the az-gti . And as planets and luna are its forte , it would be a great buy ... especially now when Jupiter and Saturn are so well placed , from here anyway . 

Stu

@Stu1smartcookie true.... ermmmmm 

16 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Yes, it's deeply satanic whereas DS imaging is merely sinister...

Olly

Hi @ollypenrice Ok let say just for viewing as a whole and maybe little imaging but I don't expect that kind of imaging that I see online just something that I would just keep for myself so with this which would you suggest or recommend the Astro Fi 6" or 127Mak Az-GTI

Edited by Hadi Jafar
  • Like 1