SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Importing

On 24/11/2021 at 20:24, TBRHussaR said:

Hey Dixie, I just imported an ovni night vision bino , it was insanely expensive. I paid about 25% of the cost in the end.

That's right, but we always remove the French VAT of 20% when we ship outside European Union.

In the UK VAT is also 20%. If it was a product that you bought in the UK you would also have 20% VAT included in the price. So the insanely expensive is about the extra 5% for customs fees.

Meaning the final price was 5% higher than what buyers in the EU pay.

On 20/11/2021 at 19:46, Dixie said:

Out of interest what's the current situation in terms of UK duty etc for importing scopes from the EU?  

You have to ask the seller to remove the VAT when you import.

Edited by joko
  • Like 1

I'm looking to get a new tripod, the Vixen SXG HAL130, it retails in the UK at £239. Quite a lot for a tripod I know, but on Ebay they are advertised for £187? Seems like a good deal, but no, once the VAT and customs charges and shipping are added it comes to over £250. Think I'll stick with my battered old CG5, probably sturdier anyway.

From the UK, when purchasing from the EU, if the retail (inc. VAT) is no more than £135 then there are no customs charges.

For items over £135 VAT and Excise Duty is payable.  - If the EU retailer has an option to display EX VAT prices on their website then select it.  Take that ex VAT price, add the companies delivery fees to the UK to get a total EX VAT price.  If its over £135 add 5% of the total EX VAT price, and then add 20% VAT to that sub total.  This will give you an approximation of the landed cost to your door.

• Like 1