Narrowband

What equipment has revolutionised your observing?

RobertI

I’m going to add that overall, there’s probably more inspiration and ideas that have come from SGL which have been invaluable. The pocket sky atlas initially, but more sky safari since, have also been integral to finding my way around.

This last year, the biggest help for me was the purchase of a sack truck that I’ve adapted, to help me move my dob around following an injury that left me unable to lift. The binoculars have also been indispensable during this period.
Whilst kit is important to a degree, this great community is the most valuable resource without question.

Edited by Stardaze
  • Like 5

Only spotted this thread now! Saw the original comment in John's thread 😉

For me my 250px was my first scope.  Aside from the act of getting the scope itself, three things stand out for me:

1. Getting a Telrad - instantly helped locating objects. 

2. Getting a N13T6 + a 2.5x PM - wow compared to the crappy cheap plossl set EPs I had.   First look at M42 was strongly green, not grey.  82 deg afov soooo much nicer in a manual dob.  The PM is just sweet.

3. Getting the Lacerta dual speed focuser upgrade for Skywatcher dobs - really made a difference at the EP.  Wonderfully engineered for 70 quid.

If I was to add a 4th it would be my 15" dob - incredible difference at the EP compared to the 250px: not just the aperture but the mechanical movement and balance.

A 5th would be the €20 A4 sheet of Baader solar film!  Maybe this should even be in the top 3: adding the capability to view sunspots in white light is revolutionary.  And I've since gone all in on a double stacked Ha setup!

• Like 2

The first things I think of are

- My 10" solid tube dob. It's such a low-hassle setup. Mine is already cooled down, stored outside in a secure locked shed.

- Solar filters. I can get frustrated with deep sky observing and the weather. With the sun, I get so many opportunities to observe. And as much as I love viewing the night sky, I'm more of a morning person. If I had to choose between solar or night time, I'd go solar. Solar minimum is a pain, but I can always process some old captures or SDO data.

- My little Collins Gem Stars book. Slips in the pocket easily and I've used it so many times.

- Warm clothes. I was so cold my first year. Invest in warm clothing!

- Single malt whisky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not physically equipment but an integral part none the less Stargazerslounge.com

When the weather or work dampens my enthusiasm visiting the forums here keep me interested and keen to get out. Otherwise my hobby would pretty much be one I wouldn't get a chance to share with anyone. What it provides for us is really important. I dont doubt if it didn't exist we would all be somewhere else but we find ourselves here so Stargazerslounge.com it is. 

Edited by StarryEyed
  • Like 2

Real "What Counts factors" for me:

- A lightweight 5" apo that can do anything I want it to

- Binoviewing ( on selected targets)

- a decent pair of binoculars (on most targets)

- a good tracking mount for high power, no-nudge stability

- discovering good, affordable zoom eyepieces, in my case the first was a Baader MkII, the best so far a Pentax XL SMC

- getting a decent observing seat (Nadira)

- Learning that suffering from "eyepiece acquisition-itis" does NOT make me a good observer, practice and getting to know my equipment does!

- learning from others who are so much skilled at observing than I am..

Dave 😉

• Like 8

On 02/12/2021 at 20:12, niallk said:

3. Getting the Lacerta dual speed focuser upgrade for Skywatcher dobs - really made a difference at the EP.  Wonderfully engineered for 70 quid.

Great shout, it’s a fantastic bit of kit that has made focusing on my 200P a piece of cake.

• Like 1

The key observing revolution for me was the Dobsonian.  I started telescopic observing in 1982 with a secondhand Fullerscopes on a MkIII.  It wasn't a bad set up, but I always seemed to be struggling with eyepiece position and the weight of the mounting.  Then I started to see dobsonians in American magazines, especially the Coulter optical models made from sonotube and plywood. These eventually grew in size to an 29 inch monster model, but something smaller was what I was after.  Nobody was selling dobsonians in the UK as far as I could tell, but the nice people at Coulter Optical sent me some instructions to build my own.  A carpenter friend of my father's did the actual woodworking. I sourced a David Hinds 12 inch mirror and was ready to go.  It was a revelation in observing simplicity and efficiency for me as well as being really cost-effective.  I subsequently made a six inch rich field that I could transport in the car or on the train and later a six inch f8 for planetary work.

Jonathan.

• Like 5

On 11/12/2021 at 09:57, F15Rules said:

- Binoviewing ( on selected targets)

+1

I saw the Cassini division for the 1st time in my 10" dob with my Maxbrights and cheap plossls.  Also great on Jupiter, Mars, and the Moon.  I think that apparition coincided with the rings tilting and opening more - could see it mono afterwards too - always easier to see things again after you've seen them once!  But the gain from using two eyes was really noticeable.

They don't reach focus in my 15"... must see if I can try a different GPC.

• Like 2

I'm late to the party, but I've been interestedly reading through this. 

I find my Baader 0.9ND filter has made a huge difference for lunar observation.  I had non-descript moon filters before, and they were fine for reducing the glare, and giving everything a yellow tinge, but the ND filter actually gives the moon a sumptuous texture which I could stare at for hours on end.  

Putting my 10x50 binoculars on a photographic tripod has meant they're actually usable, and can't really be beaten for grab and go (10 seconds).  I've liked that so much I've ordered a load of bits to make a parallelogram mount.

A Daystar Quark has been a game changer.  Viewing the sun in h-alpha is absolutely amazing.  You can have days where you wouldn't see a single feature in white light, but the texture in h-alpha is still completely captivating!  It takes quite a bit of time to start really being able to observe the fine detail. Definitely worth the investment.

Most recently, I think a binoviewer is going to be the most revolutionary thing.  I bought a Binotron 27, and I've only been able to use it for one night.  The night in question had the worst seeing I've ever experienced, to the point it actually made me laugh out loud!  However, I felt like the binoviewer might finally give me the truly immersive observation experience I've always looked for.  I'm desperate for the clouds to clear off right now!

• Like 4