Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What equipment has revolutionised your observing?

RobertI

Getting some really decent solar filters two years ago has more than doubled my overall observing time - and happily coincided with working from home more during Covid at a time of rising solar activity. 
On another level, finding a secondhand Gitzo 5-series camera tripod earlier this year moved me from being slightly under mounted (with a 4-series, 25kg payload tripod) to a much more robust 40kg payload. It’s benefitted all my 3 scopes so much, even though the heaviest is only 8-9kg. 

• Like 3

I have pondered on this and while it is the whole set that makes the system sing (mount, scope, cameras, focuser, observatory etc.) . In the end it came down to the software, The Sky X, Voyager and the AAG weather watcher. (Sorry @ollypenrice.)

They have enabled me to schedule a nights observation and run it safe in the knowledge that the roof will close in bad weather and it will otherwise perform as requested. I can be at home, the theater on holiday or babysitting the grandchildren it matters not as long as I could get on the internet at some point during the day.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 3

For me it's my VX14 dobsonian, by far the best scope I have owned and a keeper for as long as I can handle it.

Long eye relief eyepieces are right up there as I use them almost exclusively now.

Binoviewers were also a big change for the better but I still have the scars from all the effort it took to get them working for me.

• Like 2

As above the VX14 dob, but yes, as long as I can handle it. 

Revolutionizing my observing would equally apply to using a Unihedron Sky Quality Meter on each occasional dark sky trip. Logging periodic sky brightness measurements on a given time and date has become very informing and sometimes surprising.

Bahtinov masks for each of  my two main scopes, together with the Bahtinov Grabber app when imaging.

Makes focussing a dream. I used to spend ages fiddling around trying to get the best focus.

A 4" refractor and, the realization that aperture fever only leaves me with large telescopes that are very pretty to look at but rarely get looked through. Never have I spent more nights out and thoroughly enjoyed this hobby more

than when I decided bigger is not necessarily better.

• Like 9

On 20/11/2021 at 16:50, GavStar said:

Unsurprisingly it’s my night vision monoculars - saying they have revolutionised my observing is rather an understatement. 
Last week I was involved in the filming of a short segment on urban astronomy for the forthcoming January episode of “Sky at Night” discussing how my nv monoculars allow me to see the invisible 😉

This photo was taken from the top of BBC Television Centre - definitely an urban location! 🤣

5B4D7841-57AA-4FBC-B96C-CB7A418882AF.jpeg

Nice one Gavin, but be careful, your mate Dave (Nagler) might get jealous 😉

• Haha 2

On 20/11/2021 at 13:17, RobertI said:

So it seems that in an ideal world, we all need a 4” refractor fitted with a RACI finder and binoviewers, mounted on a lightweight but heavy duty altaz mount, with a comfy chair to sit on, complemented by a 12” dob with Nexus push-to. 

Well I’m half way there, just need the dob and Nexus. 🙂

Yep...:smiley:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Very true.  Open question what's the lightest's alt-z mount you can use with a Nexus and carry a 4-5" APO?

Got to be in no particular order:

AZ5 (but not the SW one)
AYOii,
Ayo Vamos,
Rowan AZ75 when released.

Edited by Alan White

12 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Got to be in no particular order:

AZ5 (but not the SW one)
AYOii,
Ayo Vamos,
Rowan AZ75 when released.

Slo-mo? 😁

If only the Scopetech Mount Zero had push-to....

Looking at a lot of the comments, maybe another thread, whats the best grab n' go setup. 

1) What's the lightest setup you find usable?
2) What's the largest aperture you can use as grab n-go? 

Two trips is grab n' go? 

Edited by Deadlake
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Slo-mo? 😁

If only the Scopetech Mount Zero had push-to....

You didnt ask for Slo-Mo in your question of course....but made me chuckle.

Would the Scopetech hold a heavy 5" scope though?  A question posed, not a comment on that mount.

2 minutes ago, Alan White said:

You didnt ask for Slo-Mo in your question of course....but made me chuckle.

Would the Scopetech hold a heavy 5" scope though?  A question posed, not a comment on that mount.

If theory it would hold a TSA-120, however in practise no, just a little to heavy. 

It's really aimed at Japanese market for holding 4" Vixen/Takahashi scopes

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

carry a 4-5" APO?

Not sure you can generalise across that range; it goes from pretty light scopes to triplet beasties like the LZOS.

I’m sure Serge would make a set of encoders for the Zero if he hasn’t already. I like it as a minimal manual AltAz though, so not sure I would bother. Easy enough to star hop.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’m sure Serge would make a set of encoders for the Zero if he hasn’t already. I like it as a minimal manual AltAz though, so not sure I would bother. Easy enough to star hop.

Serge needs to have a physical scope tech zero present to make a set of encoders.
So it's a nope at the moment. 

On 20/11/2021 at 18:22, JeremyS said:

I might go my my Tak FC 76DCU as it is so convenient for travel in that it splits into two so I can carry in a backpack. Consequently it’s traveled all round the world with me, allowing me superb views from unusual locations when I might not otherwise have had them.

For me, so far, it has been my Tak FC-76 DCU as well. It’s not as well travelled as yours but it has been to a public observing event and has been on holiday to Bortle 3 sites. It’s an absolute delight to use and the views through it are fantastic. It’s equally good on a Giro Ercole Mini and a GoTo mount. 

• Like 1

In my first year of regular observing with a telescope, aside from my Skymax 127 Mak & AZ GTi combo, I would have to say upgrading from a stock SW RDF to a 9x50 RACI and Telrad was the most revolutionary step forward.  Followed by a combination of upgrading to an ADM clamp + Berlebach 312 report for a much more stable platform. 

Other smaller revolutions: Baader Mk IV Zoom, Tak Prism diagonal, Neodymium, UHC & OIII filters, discovering Sky Safari. + Getting hooked on eBay classic refractors & Baader Classic Orthos of course...

Fascinating thread! 

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 3

Great read this 👍

I'm just in from a little post work session and I would have to say going from a meh 6x30 finder to 50mm RACI, Stellarium on the phone and a decent stable mount that removes the wobbles (Skytee). Star hopping has become so enjoyable. Sometimes easy, sometimes challenging but always enjoyable.

Also on a more abstract tip, being a few years older and being content so time under the sky is satisfying whether you see what you wanted or not. 

• Like 3