SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What would I gain?

assouptro

21 hours ago, assouptro said:

If I can capture an image like this in less than 3 hours with one of the notoriously noisiest Kodak chips using an average ed100 scope (revelation Astro Ed100, not a colour corrected triplet) what would I benefit by buying a newer CMOS camera? 

I was always aiming for at least 8 hours when I had my 383L+.  I really haven't had anywhere near enough time to evaluate my new versus old camera, with weather etc being crap and imaging different targets, but my very rough assessment is that 4 hours with the IMX571 yields me a decent image.  So roughly half the imaging time 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Brian

A very rough comparison.  My images are 4 hours CMOS data, LUM and OSC respectively, straight out of APP, so no postprocess eg NR.  Lum with 105mm and OSC with 180mm scope.

BRIAN-M45-SGL.jpg

M45-LUM-4-HOURS.jpg

M45-OSC-4-HOURS.jpg

M45-SGL.gif

Thank you for this

I can see there is more data there

Are there any drawbacks worth mentioning? For instance, are you handling much larger data sets requiring more storage space and processing power? 

I can see it’s inevitable but I’ve settled  into a workflow that I can repeat blindfold using Artemis capture phd and dithering etc and I worry about finding the time to relearn new processes etc but that’s what this hobby is about I guess? 

Thanks again for your input 

Bryan

18 minutes ago, assouptro said:

Thank you for this

I can see there is more data there

Are there any drawbacks worth mentioning? For instance, are you handling much larger data sets requiring more storage space and processing power? 

I can see it’s inevitable but I’ve settled  into a workflow that I can repeat blindfold using Artemis capture phd and dithering etc and I worry about finding the time to relearn new processes etc but that’s what this hobby is about I guess? 

Thanks again for your input 

Bryan

Hi Bryan

I dont think there is anything inherently different.  Shorter time of exposure and dithering every other or every 5th frame for example, but I dont recall anything really that would be hard to amend.  The pixels are smaller than the 8300 sensor, but I didnt change my dithering settings.

• Thanks 1