Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's wrong with 6x30 RACI finders?

I'm a refractor kind of guy so my finderscopes are of the RACI type. I have two, both Synta, a 9x50 and a 6x30. Although the 9x50 goes a tad deeper than it's smaller sibling, I tend to use the 6x30 more often, simply because of the weight difference.

Looking online there is a plethora of 9x50 and larger RACI finders to choose from, but I cannot find any other manufacturer/supplier offering an alternative to the Synta 6x30 RACI.

Is this the only one in production? And if it is, why is that? Do people not use them enough? I find a 6x30 RACI makes an excellent pairing with a 3"- 4" refractor.

I use 6x30 RACI's with my 100, 102 and 120mm refractors. The 130mm refractor plus the 200mm and 300mm newtonians / dobsonians get 9x50 RACI's plus a Rigel Quikfinder.

Of course I can switch them around if I want to but I prefer to dedicate finders to a particular scope so they are in decent alignment from the off. The penalty for this is that I have quite a lot of finders ! :rolleyes2:

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

the 6x30 is useless under bortle 7/8.

20 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I need the 50mm to find anything

Yes I get that, my skies aren't very dark either. I was just looking at the Tak 6x30 which is most likely a very, very good finder optically. But why straight through? The same is true of the Vixen 7x50. Maybe it's a Japan thing, I just wish someone made a top quality small RACI, the Synta and the Svbony seem to be the same. The 9x50 does show so much more, maybe I should think about getting a bigger mount, so weight isn't an issue.😃

Just now, Franklin said:

Yes I get that, my skies aren't very dark either. I was just looking at the Tak 6x30 which is most likely a very, very good finder optically. But why straight through?

I felt the same so I now use a 6x30 RACI Skywatcher finder on my Tak in the Tak finder mount. Not quite Tak quality but it does the job fine:

takmoon.JPG.1b9b53ab1f1391d8294f00bb5893db5b.JPG

• Like 2

I have a 6 x 30 RACI on each of my 4" refractors and  a 9 x 50 RACI on my 5".  They are Skywatcher finders, very inexpensive and very good and they stay put, aligned with the scope ready to go.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 4