Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn..

gobes

Got my first ever close-up view of Saturn (through my own eyes & scope anyway) last night. blumming AWESOME ;-)

How long do I need to wait before the rings are not edge on?

How long do I need to wait before the rings are not edge on?

It takes 14 years I think between each occasion of the rings being edge on. From September onwards the rings will gradully open up but it will be a couple of years before they start to look really good.

John

When I took up observing again at the start of last year, the view of Saturn's rings was still quite good with my 4" Mak. The rings will get more and more obvious for the next 7 years, but I would reckon you'd start to be happy with what you can see after 12 to 24 months.

My first view of saturn was only about a couple of months or so ago and it was absolutely fantastic. Since then I've read a few times on here people saying they can't wait until the rings open up again because it looks so much better. But I can't believe it will look that much more impressive. For me it looks absolutely awe inspiring as it is! Surely it can't look that much better!

My first view of saturn was only about a couple of months or so ago and it was absolutely fantastic. Since then I've read a few times on here people saying they can't wait until the rings open up again because it looks so much better. But I can't believe it will look that much more impressive. For me it looks absolutely awe inspiring as it is! Surely it can't look that much better![/quote

When the rings have opened up a bit you have the opportunity to see Cassini's Division, the Crepe Ring and even Enke's division in larger scopes / excellent conditions.

I agree though that Saturn is an amazing sight regardless of the ring tilt.

John

Archived