Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Totally disallusioned

oohmygod831

I bought my scope two years ago now while i was living in Derbyshire, but i moved to the North East over a year ago and ive not been able to use it except for Kielder (which was a dissappointment for me)

I am looking to sell my setup as it frustrates me too much every time i see it knowing i cant use it (for vaious reasons mainly due to my location) no doubt i will return to the hobby and get another scope when i have moved but in this current climate it could be a while.

I need to know what i should ask for the set up.

Ive got a Skywatcher 150 with EQ3-2 mount.it comes with the origional eyepieces 25mm and 10mm and 2x barlow and 6 x 30 finderscope. Everyting is in mint condition. The only scratches are on the dovetail mount bar.

It also comes with a Baader Skysurfer V finderscope which i found to be invaluable ,an Antares laser colimator, a star atlas, Turn Left at Orion and a Phillips Planishere.

It may seem a bit severe to get rid of everything but it is neccessary, so please what price do you think i should ask for this kit?

Sorry you feel that you have to sell up Simon - your scope is a good one (it did really well in BBC Sky at Night tests) and capable of seeing a great deal, clouds and light pollution allowing of course.

The new price for the scope is around £250 so I guess you could reasonably ask £180 or so for yours as it's clearly in excellent condition and has some desireable "extras". You might want to sell the Baader Skysurfer V seperately as they are very popular.

John

I know how you feel - I nearly jacked it in last year. I still get almost no time to use my beautiful SW200.

Unless you need the cash I'd think hard about it - theres lots of star parties on and you never know when you may be glad of it. I have kind of resigned myself to the fact that because I live in a flat and work long hours my chances of ever getting out and using the scope are limited to perhaps 2-3 times a year.

I totally agree about not selling up. The frustrations you feel are perfectly understandable, and even those with Ideal viewing sites are still stalled with our awful weather.

Simon, try and get to the Dalby Forest Starfest in August, Can't guarantee the weather, but I can promise you will enjoy the company of all the other people there. The company is brilliant, and if clear skies prevail then that is loads of icing on the cake.

So, unless you really must sell out of financial necessity, and these days that would be no surprise, then keep your stuff, astronomy is a lifetime thing, nothing to do with the weather. Well, almost nothing.:lol:

Good Luck.

Ron.:blob8:

TRue Dave but it can wind you up easily - it did me. Big new scope and since I had it the times when the weathers been clear AND I have been free have totalled twice and one of those was Salisbury last year.

I have lost count of the number of times I have lugged it to a dark sky site and then its clouded over, fogged over, rained, iced or its simply been too cold to stay out long.

It can wind you up - these days I just assume I wont ever be able to use it so if I do its a bonus.

Not a hobby for quick gratification but some at least and it sounds like Simon is having the same torrid time that Astro_Baby did not so long ago, similar to my situation now, I have 3 scopes, 6" SCT, wo66 Refractor and a new celestron 80ED. I haven't had a reasonable night of astronomy in 2 months, due to Partner, working shifts and abysmal weather.

Don't despair Simon, have you thought about getting yourself a small 'grab and go' setup? I've got a camera tripod knocking around that I use for my dslr, the wo 66 and the 80ED both have a shoe/dovetail that will fit straight onto the standard tripod bush, I managed to grab a quick 15mins with that setup (tripod+80ED) on saturday night, got a good look at the moon, venus, M42 and stood there like a pillock wondering whether betelgeuse was mars until I checked starry night (not through the scope I might add and the rest of orion was lost behind the houses) :lol:

I plan to do the same tonight, tripod and 80ED, too tired to setup the whole HEQ5 pro EQMod rig, so a little moon watching and a bit of star hopping should be good.

lol regie, i suggested exactly the same thing in a pm earlier. i've got a 150 on an E3-2 and sometimes the time to set up is too long for the opportunity or my energy levels so i use my c80ed on a simple mount as well. used to be a cheapo photo pod, now an AZ3. definatly keeps your enthusiasm up when its night after night of poor viewing and when you get a chance to use the main scope it's a pleasure

Kielder was clear, what more do ya want?!!! The first two I went to it chucked it down!

Never understand people who decide to just pack it in. It's not a hobby you get into for quick gratification!!

It wasnt anything to do with the weather but my faulty camping equipment, tent had an indoor swiming pool and my heater broke so i ended up ill with flu.

Thanks for all your comments. Selling is partially due to financial reasons but looking at the scope again this afternoon im still in two minds weather to sell or not. Think im going to have to sleep on it a while before i decide.

KNow what you mean - last year at Salisbury I was in a tiny borrowed tent, it leaked like hell, everything was wet and on the last night I went down with a flu bug that was dreadful - have never been so ill before or since.

I came home and swore I'd never do it again - I hate camping anyway - but a few months has put a different complexion on it. This year I'll have a better tent and ( hopefully ) all well be aright.

ok chap here is my story, before u sell, have a read

I own a 5 inch phenix refractor, and a 8ich meade, which seem to work when they feel like it.

I also own a PST when i get to see the sun which is not often

The simple fact is, the time comes when you have the opportunity and u quit your kit, you will regret it all the more.

I have made it on and off for over 20 years in astronomy, fighting light polluted london, no real kit, and now some kit and a home with no garden

I met a chap at kelling last year with a home made refractor, the biggest i had seen, and what an eye for the stars, experience does not even come close to describing this mans ability.

Yet outside these events, he lives in a tower block, no garden. The telescope comes out for kelling and thts about it.

The point is, if its not taking up space, keep ur kit. Its not costing u anything. And when your fortunes change, you will have it.

Rather than having to invest in it all over

Just my opinion :-)

I live in the North East and have to put up with the same weather but there is no way I would sell my gear. There are always the odd magical nights like last night which make up for all the frustration.

Since I bought all my gear about 6 months ago I have used it at the most 6 times and sometimes wonder was it worth spending the best part of two and a half grand on something I will hardly ever use.

Then I sign on to this forum and read posts from people lucky enough to have the time and clear skies to get out there and get some viewing hours under there belts and read about the fantastic things they get to see and I think how difficult it would be for me to read those posts knowing I had sold my equipment and was no longer able to get out there.

So I will hold on to my equipment because just knowing I will be able to get out under the stars even a handful of times a year is more than enough reason to keep this hobby going.

...because just knowing I will be able to get out under the stars even a handful of times a year is more than enough reason to keep this hobby going.

That has to be one of the best comments I`ve seen for a long time.....

Simon

I agree with every1 else. I was all up for selling my gear yesterday. Even to the point of me putting an ad up on here. Then last night after discussing the situation with the misses, I came to the conclusion that I would be mad to sell it. I had to wait quite a few years to get the scope I have now. I dont get to use my setup much either. I have a nice sied back garden now, but the street lighting is a real pain to contend with. With no chance of the misses letting me build an Observatory I need to come to some other way to block out the stray lighting.

Anyway. Guess wot im trying to say is dont sell up Simon. Keep at it. The night sky will always be waiting for you. And when you do get to go out and enjoy the wonderous objects the night sky has to offer, just think to yourself "I would of misses all of nature's glory if I had sold my kit."

Andy

i think from my point of view, its not just a hobby, its my life.

My name is synonmous with astronomy. Clear skies or bad i am a lifer.

As for the skies, i agree with the other comment, just a handful of nights is fine for me too.

I had a chap show me the veil, M1 among other things at kelling, first i had seen them EVER. That was plenty for me.

Half phase of venus also seen.

I will never sell my kit. I keep it for tomorrows generation too including the pst.

The PST has seen light once or twice, but each time, it was worth it to see the Solar prominences. I was going to sell it, but no, i will keep tht too!

Even if i cannot image with it!

Second hand prices on kit is about 2/3rds to half the new price.

If you don't need the money I would keep your scope even if you store it in the attic. One clear night even if a bit light polluted can cheer you up no end.

In the bad old days I was lucky to use a scope once a month one reason for giving up the day job. Now I just get annoyed when it's cloudy for our guests.

Mike

Archived