Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

iOptron CEM26 owners thread

Dean Hale

May as well create a thread for the CEM26. No doubt i'll have many more questions to ask in addition to the two below. Hopefully other owners chip in with any tips, thoughts, opinions.

I used to have an AZ-GTI which was fantastic however needed something that would hold around 6KG so so opted for the CEM26 (up to 11.8KG) my first EQ mount. 

Some users (not on SGL) have commented on the CEM26 and backlash issues. Reading further it's seems to be a simple fix of tightening a couple of grub screws. The Facebook group has a slightly different perspective and seems to have quite a few positive reviews and tips. So added to the basket and purchased.

To the mount itself. Looks solid. Good quality materials used, nice look and feel. Very quiet in operation. Nice touch on the tripod to have vibration pads included.

I will upgrade the saddle to the ADM version just for the added security and it would have been nice to have a holder included for the hand controller. At the moment using some hook and loop velcro. Luckily FLO sell a bracket.

My inexperience so not a criticism of the hand controller.  It took a little getting used to owing to the 80s Casio screen - but finding my way around.

Humped it up three flights of stairs to the attic where my computer is to update the firmware and do some rough testing. The mount head may be classed as light at 4.5kg but after then bringing up the mount, the accessories and tripod i needed a breather. I think next time i'll bring the computer downstairs.

Setup was pretty painless. The most time taken was re-learning how to use a PC to update the software (shudder) owing to me being a mac user.

• Upgraded the firmware 1st attempt
  • Installed the iPolar software (it works but never polar aligned, shall try when a clear night arrives)
  • Connected to the ASIAIR Plus 1st attempt. Just plug in the cable from the handset to a ASIAIR USB port. Works great no more pointing to the ground when selecting send to home etc.
  • Balancing a 460mm scope was a cinch, the StellaMira a little more tricky - RA fine just the DEC, maybe a couple of minutes but think that's due to my inexperience.

So far very pleased with the mount and initial worries using an EQ are unfounded. Let's see if its still the case when used in the wild.

And onto my questions -

1. I cannot connect to SkySafari pro. Has anyone done this? I've tried both iOptron CEM/iEQ and CEM120 as suggested on the SkySafari forum however no luck.
  2. Twice when switching on the mount the Hand Controller has shown the error 'communication failure'. If i unplug and plug back in all ok. Just wondering if this has happened to others?

Obligatory photos. Looking a little dark. I may have to add some colour.

Cheers

PXL_20211118_140421204.jpg

PXL_20211118_140359918.jpg

Edited by Dean Hale
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Dean Hale said:

May as well create a thread for the CEM26.

Hi Dean - I recently found the AZ-GTI lacking for my requirement so went for a CEM26.  These newer versions seem to be a slight revision - the two most obvious things are a different saddle (no knob anymore) and the CW shaft just screws in - no additional knobs around it.  I don't know if this also means they tweaked anything internally from the first release.

I've had mine out a few times now and have had to ease the gear mesh on DEC (a simple job described later in the manual).  I've also tweaked the RA but not sure I have either in the sweet spot yet.  Saying that, it's currently performing well for my imaging scale.

It's unbelievably smooth with the clutches released, just completely free moving - making balancing both easy (as it's obvious when it's out) and tricky (as it must be very precise).  It's obvious when it's off in 3D not just 2D.

I find polar alignment fairly quick and always end Altitude on a "down" movement as this is the movement under tension.

I noticed the power port is very close to where the RA will swing past - thankfully this isn't an issue for my cabling but can see how it could easily be.  It's quiet in operation, with slewing hardly noticeable above normal tracking.

I haven't seen the communication error you mention in question 2 yet.  I've had mine hooked up to an ASIAIR Pro  (via the hand controller) and nothing else.

4 hours ago, Dean Hale said:

The mount head may be classed as light at 4.5kg but after then bringing up the mount, the accessories and tripod i needed a breather.

That reminded me of when I lifted the flight case out the box and thought "wow, this is supposed to be light?!"  forgetting the 4.5Kg CW was also in there! 

One other thing I remember was expecting a really big hand controller.  I don't know why - perhaps the 4 line screen description and photos I'd seen out of context.  It felt like a mini hand controller when I finally saw it :) 

Edited by geeklee

Hi @geeklee It does seem that some slight tweaks have been made to the saddle and counterweight.  I read some comments around these on CN and good to see that iOptron seem to listen and adapt. Just checked the manuals and the quick start guide shows the amends while the manual still shows the version with the saddle knob. Happy to hear you  seem to be getting on with the mount. Thanks for the comments around the the cable issue and the polar alignment.

i agree with the controller. I think i'll add some padding somehow to it to make it a little more substantial and just in case i drop it.

• Like 1

Thanks Dean for starting this thread and good to read your comments on the mount.

In late October I took advantage of FLO having a new supply of GEM28's after they had been on 2 months back order for what seemed like forever.  I too was pleased with the overall quality of the mount and tripod, certainly didn't exect the anti-vibration pads on the ends of the tripod legs-a neat touch. Ought to start a GEM28 Owner's Club thread really but haven't any experience with the mount yet to write up about (the skies really have been that bad recently) but I hope you don't mind me mirroring your comments regarding the CEM26?

My reason for getting the GEM28 was it's overall lightness compared to my CG-5, I can now carry the whole set up to the imaging pad each night rather than assemble in several loads. 

As you commented set up too was painless but as it was my first adventure into ASCOM it meant loading quite a lot of new software. All went well and I updated the mount firmware to the latest version too with no hassle. I have used the iPolar before on my CG-5 but I have been using v 1.6 and know the new iPolar's can use v2.5. I have read of some issues with juddering in use but with the current poor weather haven't ben able to do anything yet outdoors.

As geeklee rightly mentions balancing is made very easy but tricky, by comparison my old CG-5 is very unresponsive to even fair amounts of imbalance, so no more 'East Heavy' weighting in the future. 

I have made a thick Velcro band to secure the power unit to one tripod leg and found my old CG-5 hand control holster fits the GEM28 fine. I use an elastic band to hold the hand controller in place when moving the mount around.

20211119_084339.thumb.jpg.2af534e7fa3c6bc21a8261e9dfa6ec55.jpg

I have had the mount working with-

The handcontroller directly (I wiill be using this virtually all of the time).

My laptop+USB 2.0 active cable (20m)+connecting cable to the hand controller USB port. Both with iCommander control and/or Stellarium.

Wi-fi control using my laptop+integral iStarFi in the GEM28. both under iCommander and Stellarium control.

I do not have SkySafari to test out but have read of connection issues on other forums, the gist being iOptron did not collaborate with the SkySafari makers so the solution lies at their door. I do disable Windows Defender when using the laptop to control via wi-fi and (whether this does anything or not) created permissions for port 8899 (both incoming and outgoing). I have found that one of the earlier iOptron wi-fi guides available on the Internet is incomplete but found an earlier version that is as unhelpful as any other-

073c1bd163bdc2b0f63c931359dbd4e2263476341d9062327e60101fac18f0e6.pdf

Have not seen a 'communication failure' error message on the hand controller.

Hope you get more clear skies to use your mount under. 👍

Cheers,
Steve

Edited by SteveNickolls
  • Like 2

Hi @SteveNickolls. Please do add comments around the GEM28. More than happy to change the title. Both use the same software and hand controller (i think) and no doubt additional comments will be appreciated by owners.

I nearly purchased the GEM28. Read the reviews, watched the videos. However, i wanted the 1.75 tripod and this was only in stock with the CEM26. My patience is non existent which i now have what i have. 

Luckily i've used to use the mount the past 2 nights and very pleased, in fact delighted. Finally managed to image the moon using a barlow and to my eyes starting to see some improvements over my previous efforts. Probably being extra careful during setting up and take down, but repetition will soon set in to the speed this up.

I think i've overcome the communications failure. I swapped the cable and so far the issue has not reoccured. I can live without SkySafari if needs be thanks for the comments around this.

• Like 2

Hi Dean, thanks for your message. Pleased you have resolved the communication problem so now enjoy your new mount to its fullest. 😁 Great to find the mount is working well for you. I'm just hoping for some clear sky to try out polar alignment and star alignment. Finger's crossed on this.

Sorry to learn of the SkySafari connection issue, maybe have a try with Stellarium? I haven't installed Stellarium on my tablet only the laptop to see if the mount could be controlled that way but see little reason why tablet control should not work. It may be a generational thing but I'm happy using the hand controller but was inquisitive over USB and wi-fi control.

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Dean,

Although I don’t have either the CEMxx or GEMxx, I do have the iOptron AZ Mount Pro, and have successfully used it connected to SkySafari Pro (iPad app) since getting it. I’ve just checked my settings in the app (see screenshot) and noticed that the mount type I use also says “CEM”, so might be worth trying the same mount option 🤔

It’s great when it’s connects, such a great user experience when you just want to whizz around the sky, or indeed just want to sync the app with where the scope is pointing and ask “what is that?” 👍

Good luck, Gary

E0897BFB-3C77-4F21-BD9A-A7EFC3E15EFE.png

Edited by HollyHound

Cheers for that @HollyHound. Finally managed to give it a go and unfortunately those settings didn't work. Managed to connect though. Would really help i actually connected to the WiFi on the mount first! I really need to start making a list to remind me of steps needed when setting up. Lately i just about remember to take the scope cap off. Settings screenshot attached for anyone else if needed.

Screenshot_20211123-154850_SkySafari 6 Plus.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
40 minutes ago, Dean Hale said:

I recently upgraded the saddle to the ADM version. @Adam J does this help for comparison. The supplied saddle is fine, i just wished to try a slightly longer version for a little more grip when i add longer and heavier scopes.

PXL_20220126_144950542.jpg

Thanks was thinking about how it would fair as a airline portable (hold) mount. 

• 2 months later...

Hi All.

Just bought this mount and have an AsiAir Plus controller on order. Wondering if anyone has used the Air+ controller on this mount and, if so, how they connected it. Do you have to (or should you) connect via the Go2Nova hand unit?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Pogo007 said:

Do you have to (or should you) connect via the Go2Nova hand unit?

Hi @Pogo007 - for my CEM26 and ASIAIR Pro I need to connect via the hand unit - so, just simple USB2 from ASIAIR Pro to hand set, then normal handset connection into the mount.

• Like 1

As a complete newbie to astrophotography and, for that matter,  to any equatorial mount let alone the CEM26 let me state that this forum has thus far been a real help.

My current challenge is with Polar alignment using AccuAlign.  Perhaps important to mention that I will be using an Air+ controller.

If someone could please help step me through the process of polar alignment, starting with the initial positioning of the tripod and scope (an AT72EDII, not that that matters) I would be very thankful.   Here are some specific questions I have:

1) Does Zero Position simply mean that the tripod head is approximately level and that the RA axle is locked in the Zero (and not East or West) position using the RA gear switch (and NOT the allen wrench)?   Anything else?

2) When performing Polar Alignment using AccuAlign should the RA gear switch be locked?  How about the DEC gear switch?  Should the allen wrench in the locking the RA hole or should it be in its storage hole?

3) Step 4 of the polar alignment process given in the manual (page 20 of my copy) says to adjust the polar scope dial to rotate one of the major ticks at the top.  When I turn the dial at the bottom of the polar scope the only thing that appears to do is to focus the reticle and not rotate it.  What am I doing wrong?

4) There is very limited AZ travel allowed using the 2 azimuth adjustment screws.  If the azi adjustment I need to make for polar alignment is beyond this restricted travel am I correct in thinking that I need to rotate my tripod accordingly?

5) During initial assembly the instructions had me use the latitude adjustment procedure to match my current latitude.  During polar alignment this initial latitude adjustment is changed to put Polaris onto the polar scope reticle based on the information obtained from the Hand Controller.  Is the initial latitude setting, that is changed during polar alignment, simply done to prepare for scope balancing?

6) How is Figure 23a (which is the Polaris position shown on the hand controller) to be interpreted in their example?

I know I'm asking a lot here, knowing so little about eq mounts, so an advanced thanks for anyone that can help clear my fog

1 hour ago, Pogo007 said:

As a complete newbie to astrophotography and, for that matter,  to any equatorial mount let alone the CEM26 let me state that this forum has thus far been a real help.

Assuming the ASIAIR Plus is arriving soon, there's an argument there to wait and use the simpler software based approach built into this.  After a few runs of it, you'll have it down in no time.

As far as using the CEM26, a couple of items of note from your questions.

Any time you expect the CEM26 to move ensure the allen wrench is removed.  If I expect to manually rotate the RA axis to balance the scope, I remove the allen wrench.  If I know where balance is then as soon as I lock the RA axis after setup, I remove the allen wrench. 

For (4)  If I'm wildly out, then I do this (carefully).

For (5) if I understand the question, initial Latitude adjustment is just to get you in the ball park for more precise adjustment with Polar Alignment.

I setup and tear down each time and have some marks on the ground for the tripod.  This way I know I'll be well within a degree for more precise polar alignment. 

On the ASIAIR it'll go something like this:

• Roughly set everything up, CW down, telescope pointing North, over the mount head, lined up with CW bar.  Balance RA and DEC.
  • Start ASIAIR software and connect all the equipment (including cameras)
  • Start Polar Align routine in ASIAIR software
  • It'll take an image, then move the mount ~60 degrees in RA.  It'll then take another image and show how far off you are.
  • You then proceed to adjust altitude and azimuth, retaking images (or letting the software continually take them) until you're close enough to be happy.
  • Using the ASIAIR software, send the mount back to "Home" and get started.

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1

If using an Asiair, it is imperative it is plugged into the hand controller only via usb, I've read somewhere someone plugged it directly into the mount and fried part of the electronics of the mount.

@Pogo007 to give you an idea on your queries:

1. Not 100% sure, I've always considered zero position to be the telescope directly on top of and in line with the mount pointing toward Polaris with the counterweight bar pointing to the ground (at and angle of course due to altitude adjustment).

2. With the electronics on both Ra and Dec should be locked. Do not put the Allen key in the holes as how will the axis rotate freely?

3. Can't comment as haven't used ipolar yet.

4. Yes, always try to rough align the tripod to true north (not magnetic north) or toward Polaris via tripod orientation first when setting up. Fine tune with az bolts when PA.

5. No, latitude adjustment is so the centre of the Ra axis can be aligned to Polaris. Your scope balancing in both Dec and Ra should be done before you switch on the power by carefully declutching each axis one at a time and being mindful of your load (ie be prepared to hold it as the ioptrons are very smooth when declutched and if not cradled your load could swing and cause some damage).

6. I think you align it as per the hours on a clock just like the Ra scale.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geeklee said:

Assuming the ASIAIR Plus is arriving soon, there's an argument there to wait and use the simpler software based approach built into this.  After a few runs of it, you'll have it down in no time.

As far as using the CEM26, a couple of items of note from your questions.

Any time you expect the CEM26 to move ensure the allen wrench is removed.  If I expect to manually rotate the RA axis to balance the scope, I remove the allen wrench.  If I know where balance is then as soon as I lock the RA axis after setup, I remove the allen wrench. 

For (4)  If I'm wildly out, then I do this (carefully).

For (5) if I understand the question, initial Latitude adjustment is just to get you in the ball park for more precise adjustment with Polar Alignment.

I setup and tear down each time and have some marks on the ground for the tripod.  This way I know I'll be well within a degree for more precise polar alignment. 

On the ASIAIR it'll go something like this:

• Roughly set everything up, CW down, telescope pointing North, over the mount head, lined up with CW bar.  Balance RA and DEC.
  • Start ASIAIR software and connect all the equipment (including cameras)
  • Start Polar Align routine in ASIAIR software
  • It'll take an image, then move the mount ~60 degrees in RA.  It'll then take another image and show how far off you are.
  • You then proceed to adjust altitude and azimuth, retaking images (or letting the software continually take them) until you're close enough to be happy.
  • Using the ASIAIR software, send the mount back to "Home" and get started.

Thanks for the detailed response and the general procedure using the ASIAIR software.

Is there a ASIAIR software alignment procedure that can be used when you don't have a clear view of Polaris (something akin to the BrighStar alignment method described in the CEM26 manual)?

7 hours ago, Pogo007 said:

Is there a ASIAIR software alignment procedure that can be used when you don't have a clear view of Polaris

In version 1.9 just released end of march there's an experimental allsky feature which can be enabled, haven't tried it myself. You can always drift align if you can't see Polaris.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2021 at 20:47, Dean Hale said:

May as well create a thread for the CEM26. No doubt i'll have many more questions to ask in addition to the two below. Hopefully other owners chip in with any tips, thoughts, opinions.

I used to have an AZ-GTI which was fantastic however needed something that would hold around 6KG so so opted for the CEM26 (up to 11.8KG) my first EQ mount. 

Some users (not on SGL) have commented on the CEM26 and backlash issues. Reading further it's seems to be a simple fix of tightening a couple of grub screws. The Facebook group has a slightly different perspective and seems to have quite a few positive reviews and tips. So added to the basket and purchased.

To the mount itself. Looks solid. Good quality materials used, nice look and feel. Very quiet in operation. Nice touch on the tripod to have vibration pads included.

I will upgrade the saddle to the ADM version just for the added security and it would have been nice to have a holder included for the hand controller. At the moment using some hook and loop velcro. Luckily FLO sell a bracket.

My inexperience so not a criticism of the hand controller.  It took a little getting used to owing to the 80s Casio screen - but finding my way around.

Humped it up three flights of stairs to the attic where my computer is to update the firmware and do some rough testing. The mount head may be classed as light at 4.5kg but after then bringing up the mount, the accessories and tripod i needed a breather. I think next time i'll bring the computer downstairs.

Setup was pretty painless. The most time taken was re-learning how to use a PC to update the software (shudder) owing to me being a mac user.

• Upgraded the firmware 1st attempt
  • Installed the iPolar software (it works but never polar aligned, shall try when a clear night arrives)
  • Connected to the ASIAIR Plus 1st attempt. Just plug in the cable from the handset to a ASIAIR USB port. Works great no more pointing to the ground when selecting send to home etc.
  • Balancing a 460mm scope was a cinch, the StellaMira a little more tricky - RA fine just the DEC, maybe a couple of minutes but think that's due to my inexperience.

So far very pleased with the mount and initial worries using an EQ are unfounded. Let's see if its still the case when used in the wild.

And onto my questions -

1. I cannot connect to SkySafari pro. Has anyone done this? I've tried both iOptron CEM/iEQ and CEM120 as suggested on the SkySafari forum however no luck.
  2. Twice when switching on the mount the Hand Controller has shown the error 'communication failure'. If i unplug and plug back in all ok. Just wondering if this has happened to others?

Obligatory photos. Looking a little dark. I may have to add some colour.

Cheers

PXL_20211118_140421204.jpg

PXL_20211118_140359918.jpg

Hi, 

I recently bought the Cem26 with iPolar. Am having issues trying to connect the Mount to Laptop. The Commander is showing me the port #, but when I click OK to connect it shows an error “cannot find any supported iOptron devices”. I am able to upgrade the firmware on the same port though. I have tried all the suggestions given by support but not sure where I am going wrong. Any one faced this before?
thanks