SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stupid, stupid

cajen2

As usual, I've been my own worst enemy. Definitely behind the door when the common sense was.being given out! 😥

I have a weakness in my lower back and so was suffering when using the RDF on my Heritage 150p flextube dob. Switching from the RDF to the focuser was giving me severe gyp!

So, mistake 1. I ordered a Rigel finder to replace the RDF, thinking its extra height would help. I didn't think to check if the mounts were compatible or if the RF would fit on the end of the scope. Of course, inevitably, neither.....

Mistake 2. 'No problem: I'll mount it on the solid tube instead.' Here, of course, it's even more difficult to view than the RDF. The electrics on the Rigel didn't work either, so I've returned it and gone back to the RDF.

Now, my problem is the double-sided tape used to attach the mount on the Rigel. This is clinging like a limpet to the tube and defies all efforts to remove it. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to get it off? I've tried nail polish remover - no go.

Moral of the story: research and plan ahead before buying....I'm an idiot.

5 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

I'm an idiot.

You only become less of a one over time.....we have all gone down a path that later on we have  thought "now why did I do that?"

As to removing the adhesive I have a range at my disposal, everything from Brake disc cleaner, acetone, white sprit, petrol (when I can afford it) and others. I just keep trying one till it softens and comes away.

• Thanks 1

I removed most of it from my tube by stripping off as much foam as possible the soaking the sticky bits with WD40 and using the edge of a plastic card to scrape it off (carefully to not scratch the paint). Repeat a few times (obv watch the wd40 doesn’t drip anywhere you don’t want it).

Edited by wibblefish

There is a very good way to avoid making mistakes. Never do anything.🤣

I was going to send you an amazon or ebay link to the label remover we use at work, but couldn't find it.
Both suppliers do though have a wide range of similar products.

Looking ahead to your long term solution....

I have always fitted a right angle finder to newts so they are near the eyepiece. No twisting or gymnastics.
Usualy a 50mm - but I have been known to go for 60mm.

You might think a 50mm is a big lump on this scope. But provided you balance the tube it will be good.
Alternatively, 30mm right angle finders are available. Weighing a lot less.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/sky-watcher-6x30-right-angled-finderscope.html

https://www.365astronomy.com/optical-accessories-1/finder-,-guider-and-polarscopes/finderscopes-brackets/SkyWatcher-6x30-Right-Angled-Finderscope

Skywatcher have both RACI and inverted view versions.

Hope you get things sorted.

David.

• Thanks 1

My usual solvent sequence is:

water with a little washing up liquid
methylated spirits
white spirit
acetone
limonene (dipentene - sold as "sticky stuff remover")
cellulose thinners (methyl chloride)
toluene (not easy to find, and damages many surfaces)

but each tested first on an out-of-sight area, to see if it dissolves the paint too.

Limonene is often effective with sticky residues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm very interested in the tips about how to remove that white tape (on behalf of a friend of course!).

Regarding the RDF and Rigel, there is a right angled 1x finder solution in the form of the Telrad with a mirror attached. The mirror is an add on and you can angle it to reflect the view sideways, reducing the need for scope-yoga... but Telrads also involve that sticky tape!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carbon Brush said:

I was going to send you an amazon or ebay link to the label remover we use at work, but couldn't find it.

I have always fitted a right angle finder to newts so they are near the eyepiece. No twisting or gymnastics.

You might think a 50mm is a big lump on this scope. But provided you balance the tube it will be good.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/sky-watcher-6x30-right-angled-finderscope.html

https://www.365astronomy.com/optical-accessories-1/finder-,-guider-and-polarscopes/finderscopes-brackets/SkyWatcher-6x30-Right-Angled-Finderscope

David.

The Heritage scope's have a small plastic 'dove tail' type fitting on the OTA. I think it's called a shoe? Doesn't look like it's compatible with the ones in the link. Or am I missing something, is there some kind of adapter? 

interested as I too need to replace the woefully inadequate red dot supplied with the scope. Not just because it moves out if alignment all the time even when switching on/off!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterStudz said:

There’s an example of a right-angled finder fitted to a 130p here…

Useful link, and good illustration of how a right angle finder can be fitted. I reckon a 6x30 RACI would complement the H130 nicely. Interesting comment by @Alan64 in that thread about the focuser not protruding into the tube (and hence into the light path) - a nice plus point which kind of makes up for the wobbly helical design. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

David.

Thanks David. I did contact FLO and Chris said he'd tried all his stock finders, but nothing fitted as there's so little real estate on the front of the scope (except the Baader that I mentioned before). In view of my execrable DIY skills, I think I should avoid doing ANY surgery on my scope! 🥺

3 hours ago, Xgaze said:

The Heritage scope's have a small plastic 'dove tail' type fitting on the OTA. I think it's called a shoe? Doesn't look like it's compatible with the ones in the link. Or am I missing something, is there some kind of adapter? 

interested as I too need to replace the woefully inadequate red dot supplied with the scope. Not just because it moves out if alignment all the time even when switching on/off!

Xgaze: you're quite right - the shoe on the RDF is tiny, which is probably why you have commented that it goes out of alignment so easily.

I think I'll just put up with it!

4 hours ago, Zermelo said:

methylated spirits
white spirit
acetone

but each tested first on an out-of-sight area, to see if it dissolves the paint too.

Thanks for all of those, Z.

4 hours ago, Zermelo said:

methylated spirits
white spirit
acetone

Now that I think about it, acetone might be hard to source after recent events in Liverpool.

10 hours ago, cajen2 said:

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to get it off? I've tried nail polish remover - no go.

You want to remove some sticky stuff eh?

Try…. ‘Sticky Stuff Remover’

I kid you not, it works really well!

F5CAC38F-62CE-4BA4-AC2C-6A17919A14CC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I use straight acetone (nail polish remover) or Goo Gone.  Test in an inconspicuous area to make sure it doesn't attack the paint (although I've never had a problem myself).  A handheld hairdryer on low heat setting might soften the adhesive to where you could gently scrape it off, but beware the temperature, etc.

Just now, johninderby said:

I’ve used StickyStuff Remover for years. Works and even smells nice. 👍🏻

So have I and think it is great,
far nicer tha the Detacheur Fluid I used to by in France,
it alwasy removed the grease from your skin and didnt smell nice either.

55 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

@Stu you're a genius! That sticky-stuff remover is brilliant. Five - minute job.

Hurrah! 👍👍

Yes, my dear lady wife introduced me to it and I was very doubtful but it is one of the more satisfying products around! Amazing stuff.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...