Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do you have everything you need? I think I might be there...

Mr Spock

Still looking for my "forever" scope although I'm pretty satisfied with what I have now - 80mm, 120mm achros and a 90mm Mak for lunar.  But there is that question of the "perfect" mount.  And maybe a DSLR to try some non-cellphone astrophotography or maybe a dedicated astro camera would be better.  But then I'd probably need an 80ED.  An Az-Gti could be good for longer exposures.  And I probably should rationalize my EP collection...  So yeah, I'm good...  😉

Oh wait, my 15x70s are a little heavy, so maybe a pair of 20x80 lightweights?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Still looking for my "forever" scope although I'm pretty satisfied with what I have now - 80mm, 120mm achros and a 90mm Mak for lunar.  But there is that question of the "perfect" mount.  And maybe a DSLR to try some non-cellphone astrophotography or maybe a dedicated astro camera would be better.  But then I'd probably need an 80ED.  An Az-Gti could be good for longer exposures.  And I probably should rationalize my EP collection...  So yeah, I'm good...  😉

Oh wait, my 15x70s are a little heavy, so maybe a pair of 20x80 lightweights?

I am with you on the 90mm Mak, you can go bigger but loose the grab and go element and the "snap to focus" that the little Mak has.

Alan

I bought two "forever scopes" back in 2016. It's been fun finding out what these legendary brands instruments are actually like to own and use :icon_biggrin:

They have not really revolutionised my astronomy though :icon_scratch:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John said:

I bought two "forever scopes" back in 2016. It's been fun finding out what these legendary brands instruments are actually like to own and use :icon_biggrin:

They have not really revolutionised my astronomy though :icon_scratch:

Interesting comment, John. I’ll need to think about what could revolutionise my astronomy 🤔

In some strange way, it might be my FOA 60Q

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 3

I have way too much kit, much more than I actually need, but just enjoy owning and using it so why not?

I have hankered after a top end 5” apo for quite a while and finally had the chance to acquire one recently, so I did. I’ve yet to even vaguely push it to see what it will achieve but it should be with me for the long term so there’s plenty of time.

If push came to shove, I would keep the Tak, my 8” f8 and the PST mod, those could keep me quite happy. In my head, there is a totally valid reason for keeping each of the others though 🤣🤣

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Michael, I'm sure you'll appreciate the extra light gathering of the 12".  For me, going from an 8" SCT to the 12" dob was quite a revelation and has allowed me to see quite a bit more as long as there is good enough transparency in the air.

I'm really after a planetary scope.  My 120ST is awesome for DSOs on those nights when the dob isn't a good idea (for a short session or it's too windy etc) and I have the 80ED which while it's very sharp is not quite enough aperture for planets and lunar to make it really interesting.  So I'm hoping to upgrade before the end of the year to a 4 to 5" ED refactor.

Edited by Davesellars
  • Like 2

After more navel gazing and re-evaluation I think I'm almost there...

The ultimate grab and go - 10x50s.

Extra binocular aperture with fast set up - 15x70s on a monopod and trigger grip. They will show a lot more than the 10x50s on camping trips.

2x grab and go mounts (manual and goto) with 5kg limits - I'm trying to get hold of a left arm mounted 127mm Mak for these. Rare as hen's teeth as a separate ota. An ED72 frac was contemplated, but I am happy with the binos for travel and the Mak is just as compact with more aperture - better for those brief back yard lunar and planetary sessions.

The Celestron AVX has a decent weight limit and does what I want, however in the future this may be replaced with a similarly hefty AZ/AZEQ mount. There's no rush.

The 4" 102 ED sits on the AVX great and is enjoyable to use but a 120mm f7.5 or 127mm f7.8 apo would be a nice step up. Again, there's no rush, but that is the definite direction headed.

Finally something I don't need but would really like is a decent dob that I can move easily without damaging myself! A 12" would be ideal but I just don't have the space until my 22 and 16 yr olds leave the nest...

So after three years, much deliberation and experimentation I'm not too far off having a complete suite of gear that suits my interests, time available for the hobby, storage space and wallet!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

The dovetail bar fitted on the right in relation to the focuser and finder position like this: ...

Ah yes. If it were me I'd fit an extra dovetail on the other side, which in the case of the SW 127 would involve removing the tube and drilling new holes on the other side. The tube I think threads in to the rear cell so you can't just turn it around like the bigger SW maks, whose tubes are more conveniently attached with 4 screws from the side: you'd just remove them, turn the tube 180 degrees, and re-attach (and possibly recollimate). Not sure if the Celestron 127 maks are the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A word of warning. On the  127 mak there is a rubber O ring between the tube and the screw on rear cell. Nearly always breaks when you remove the rear cell so you may need a new one. Just remove the front cell and cover the primary with tissue paper then drill the new mounting holes. I hold a sticky tack cloth inside the tube where I’m drilling the hole so it catches most of the bits.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Ah yes. If it were me I'd fit an extra dovetail on the other side, which in the case of the SW 127 would involve removing the tube and drilling new holes on the other side. The tube I think threads in to the rear cell so you can't just turn it around like the bigger SW maks, whose tubes are more conveniently attached with 4 screws from the side: you'd just remove them, turn the tube 180 degrees, and re-attach (and possibly recollimate). Not sure if the Celestron 127 maks are the same.

That sounds like a great idea, however despite successfully similarly chopping an ota in the past, I'm not that handy and don't fancy doing it again. 😬

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1