SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone near northwest Hertfordshire that can advise a geriatric newbie?

Tony Acorn

Hello.

I have dabbled at the very basic edges of astronomy off and on for many years. It probably started with seeing the NASA programme in 1960s on TV, developed when I was at sea for at least a decade (wonderful unpolluted skies, even saw Apollo 7 launch off Florida in October 1968) and it has become a bit of a hobby over the last few years. 

I moved to this location (near Hitchin) in 2018 when the surroundings were open fields to the west and north. Now, like so many places, the fields are covered in concrete and brick and light pollution becomes ever more prevalent so good viewing almost certainly means I need to travel.

I have moved up to a 150P-DS OTA and an HEQ 5 Pro tracking mount which of course need a bit of effort to cart around and I am very scared of knocking the 'scope out of alignment, although I do have a collimator. I also am interested in photography - predominantly landscape and nature - and I have a reasonable cropped sensor DSLR (Nikon D7200, Samyang 14mm f2.4 and Sigma 100-400mm f5-6.3 superzoom etc) with which I have captured a few good images of the moon, the Milky Way and some meteors and Comety Neowise. I did manage to stack a number of images to create one of my better Milky Way images but these were not taken using the tracking mount. 

I would like to add my camera to the dovetail on top of my OTA on my tracking mount (it is ok weight-wise) but I need to learn how to use the mount first, hence my request for contact with local groups and members of SGL.

Thanks for takingthe time to read my mindless meanderings, hope you can help me improve.

Tony

• Like 2

Your nearest astronomy club is likely to be https://www.ldas.org.uk/

Depending on how you plan to use/control the mount, and if via a computer how you are with a PC expert/novice, affects what help is needed. With the mass of SGL users and the popularity of the HEQ5 mount we have a wealth of experience & patience here in SGL to cover most of the areas you need assistance on.

Hi Tony, I don't live that way but I used to work at buntingford and Royston  area.. and while I stayed away I used to stay mostly at the premier inn around the Stevenage area, so not too far from Hitchin ... Sometimes if the  weather looked like it was going to cooperate I used to take my  kit and spend some time imaging .. the skies were pretty good,  and during my time I met a few people around the area.. one of those was quite active in the Cambridge astronomical society and he had awesome skies, Sort of Cambridge side of Royston... another guy Phill lived just outside of buntingford and even thou I never see a clear night there he said his skies were bortle 4 ... There was a little spot that I used to image from, not far from Stevenage.. I can send you a Google map drop pin if you wish.. 

Welcome Tony,

As one of the founding members of the Letchworth & District Astronomy Society I would recommend you join us.  Pre-Covid we met up for regular meetings and start parties at Standalone Farm in Letchworth, and have a dedicated imaging section with members who range form having basic equipment (like me) through to those with serious kit that have produced images that have graced the covers of leading national magazines.    We also have a our own observatory  containing a computerised 14″ Meade LX200 on an equatorial mount, so we have a lot to offer.  We also have telescope workshops form time to time, where members can bring their scopes along and be instructed on setting them up or servicing them etc.

The link is in Steve's post, so no need for me to duplicate it here.  But for £17 pa plus meetings it's well worth the cost (naturally I'm biased :) )

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...