Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newtonian Help

RegP

Hello all, I'm hoping someone here can help me solve this situation I'm in. After much success with my multiple refractor and RC setups I acquired an Orion 10" F4 newt and the SKywatcher Coma Corrector. Getting the 55mm back focus between the CC and camera sensor was easy. The problem is the CC pushes the focal plane of the telescope back another 20mm and the stock focuser just cant extend out far enough to reach it. Since the stock focuser uses a compression ring, I cant figure a good way to extend the CC out the 30-40mm it needs to reach focus without introducing tilt.

Honestly I would like to replace the stock focuser all together with a Moonlite but was informed by Ron that I would have to drill new holes in the OTA and that isn't something I'm comfortable with. This is a bummer because I have't seen another focuser that has rotation capability built into the body like Moonlite does. The TS-Optics UNC focuser looks solid but at 60mm height with 30mm of drawtube travel, it too would fall short of the focal plane. And because it too works with compression rings I can't see an easy way to get a spacer between the CC and focuser collar. 

Any advise on how to extend the image trains back focus in front of the CC would be greatly appreciated. Aftermarket focuser recommendations would also be appreciated.

1 minute ago, RegP said:

I have one of those but this particular CC has a long barrel and putting it into one of those makes it protrude way too far introducing tilt into the focuser.

Oh, I see.

Only thing that comes to mind is "parfocalising ring" for 2". Something like this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-parfocal-rings.html

12 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Oh, I see.

Only thing that comes to mind is "parfocalising ring" for 2". Something like this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-parfocal-rings.html

Ohhhhhh that actually looks perfect. Slide a few up to the flange of the CC and that would provide the extra spacing between the CC and focuser but still allow the CC to sit flush against the focuser collar. Thanks!