Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New William Optics 180mm refractor

I can picture this being lifted onto a mount by a bobcat with a crane attachment. The dinky handle is cute, although probably not so useful at nearly 60lbs weight. Is that a vixen dovetail, or does the D-plate appear as small as one....

I wonder what the focuser visual back looks like. If it is as big as I think, it might look like a flight of stairs, M110 to M90 to M68 to M54 to M48 to M42 😜. I've seen 4 inch focusers on small scope opt for this russian doll assembly for the visual back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/11/2021 at 13:09, vlaiv said:

About as large as 8" F/6 newtonian. Probably as twice as heavy and about 20-30 times more expensive? :D

Shame i couldnt do a head to head on lunar, with my 245 mm F6.3 Orion. And see how much better the 10" refractor is would it be better ? probably. But i wonder by how much. Certainly not 46x better 

Edited by neil phillips

1 minute ago, neil phillips said:

Shame i couldnt do a head to head on lunar, with my 245 mm F6.3 Orion. And see how much better it is. would it be better ? probably. But i wonder by how much. Certainly not 46x better 

Visual or imaging?

For imaging - you'd be surprised by the lack of difference.

All those things that create better visual appearance - local contrast, better strehl / tighter PSF are simply overcome by use of wavelets and subsequent sharpening of images. That is the reason why we never can have as good view as images we produce with our scopes - and the reason why SCTs for example produce excellent planetary images although they have 33%+ CO.

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

Visual or imaging?

For imaging - you'd be surprised by the lack of difference.

All those things that create better visual appearance - local contrast, better strehl / tighter PSF are simply overcome by use of wavelets and subsequent sharpening of images. That is the reason why we never can have as good view as images we produce with our scopes - and the reason why SCTs for example produce excellent planetary images although they have 33%+ CO.

Was thinking imaging. Agreed shortcomings could be processed out. To a degree.

5 hours ago, johninderby said:

5 hours ago, callisto said:

So it's not a grab n go then?   😂

Oh, it is grab 'n' go. He's grabbed it and now his back's gone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

It's a great looking scope and big refractors always get a lot of attention at star parties and shows, quite understandably.

Having owned a few 150mm refractors I'm not sure that I could comfortably handle a 180mm though :rolleyes2:

I believe that one of our members is waiting for a 200mm plus triplet refractor in due course - that will be something to marvel at as well :icon_biggrin: