SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Leviathan at Birr Castle

Nicola Fletcher

On 17/11/2021 at 00:19, Captain Magenta said:

@Nicola Fletcher did you just roll up on a whim or did you have to book? I'm 3.5 hours drive away and fancy a visit! I hadn't realized it was so close.

Magnus

I booked because I wasn’t sure whether I’d need to, and didn’t want to be turned away when I got there. There was actually no need to book and lots of availability when I got there. I’d say you would be safe enough to just turn up!

• Thanks 1

Awesome isn't it. And those sketches of m51 and m101 are wonderful. I think m51's sprial structure was discovered with that scope, among other things. 

Their sketch of the owl planetary nebula is worth looking up, I think it is where it got the name

Edited by GalaxyGael
Factual update
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GalaxyGael said:

I think m51 was discovered with that scope

It was when it was first identified as having a spiral structure but called a ‘nebula’.  Charles Messier discovered it in the previous century.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting these great pics Nicola. 

Both my sisters live in Mullingar (a 2.5 hr drive from home), and Birr Castle is only an hour's drive from them. I keep forgetting that it's there, i must remember to go and visit next time i'm down. 

• Like 1