Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Antlia 3nm NB filters example subs

(I couldn't decide on the best place to post this, so Mods..  feel free to move :))

I've been asked how I'm getting on with these filters a few times now so I thought I'd post this up, if it's of help to anyone.

In light of the increasing prices with the "top end" boys Astrodon & Chroma I decided to try out the Antlia filters with the larger size I needed for the ASI 2600MM & got the 36mm ones (I already have 1.25 Astrodons on the QSI in Obsy). Unfortunately since I set this up on another "under covers" rig outside the obsy the weather has been abysmal and all I have to show in the past 3 months are 3 single 300s subs from September!  This was first light with the setup & the obvious spacing, tilt & focus (to sort out) issues aside.. here are the subs to compare. I did a manual focus & didn't refocus between filters as it was literally grab it in between clouds. I've since ordered the LRGB set to try but still waiting for them.. no rush.. the clouds are still here :( 

Esprit80, ASI2600MM. Single 300s subs, no calibration.. only process is a screen transfer stretch in PI.

300s Antlia 3nm Ha

Antilia_300s_Ha3nm.thumb.png.6cac0198ed6151486f1fe0d91a2d41d3.png

300s Antlia 3nm SII

Antilia_300s_SII3nm.thumb.png.a4c75d71f403be8a4303d729cbfd7b07.png

300s Antlia 3nm OIII

Antilia_300s_OIII3nm.thumb.png.88670d7e3e16dc494a063520f822e4fd.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 17/11/2021 at 10:19, newbie alert said:

Thanks... Antlia  are at the right price point for many people.. a little bit more expensive than the astronomik but seem like they're a little bit better in performance...

Roll on the clear skies..

A little bit more expensive? Let Astronomik make 3nm filters and then we will see how much they will charge for it, their high speed filter MaxFR is expensive already, i bought Antlia Ha 3nm Pro 2" for $430, i bought Astrodon Ha 5nm 1.25" in 2017 for $485 i remember, Antlia 1.25" 3nm is $269 i think.

7 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

A little bit more expensive? Let Astronomik make 3nm filters and then we will see how much they will charge for it, their high speed filter MaxFR is expensive already, i bought Antlia Ha 3nm Pro 2" for $430, i bought Astrodon Ha 5nm 1.25" in 2017 for $485 i remember, Antlia 1.25" 3nm is $269 i think.

Tareq,  asyet Astronomik  don't make a 3nm filter, so you can only guess at a theoretical price.. at the moment in the UK antlia 3.5nm are £237, 3nm are £275.. astronomik 6nm are £175 ish.. thats  what I based my answer on..

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/11/2021 at 20:27, newbie alert said:

Tareq,  asyet Astronomik  don't make a 3nm filter, so you can only guess at a theoretical price.. at the moment in the UK antlia 3.5nm are £237, 3nm are £275.. astronomik 6nm are £175 ish.. thats  what I based my answer on..

Sorry for late response, why don't you compare Baader 7nm to Astronomik? Or even Optolong and ZWO 7nm/6.5nm to Astronomik? It is not logic to compare 6nm to 3nm, in fact even with Astrodon, their filters of 3nm is more expensive than their 5nm filters.

For £100 more going from 6nm to 3nm i will do that with heartbeat, no thinking twice, people paid a lot for Astrodon and Chroma to get to 5nm and 3nm regardless there is Astronomik 6nm, so Thank God that antlia made something less than Astrodon/Chroma finally, and i did mention that i bought antlia Ha 3nm at 2", i will never able to buy this either with Astrodon/Chroma or even with Astronomik 6nm, not worthy for 6nm anyway.

8 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

Sorry for late response, why don't you compare Baader 7nm to Astronomik? Or even Optolong and ZWO 7nm/6.5nm to Astronomik?

Ok, astronomik 6nm don't have halos( not in my setup anyway) and are more expensive than zwo, baader, altair, optolong 

It is not logic to compare 6nm to 3nm, in fact even with Astrodon, their filters of 3nm is more expensive than their 5nm filters.

I can't compare a 3nm astronomik as they don't make one

3nm Astrodon would be more expensive than the 5, it takes alot more effort to produce narrow bandpass filters

For £100 more going from 6nm to 3nm i will do that with heartbeat, no thinking twice, people paid a lot for Astrodon and Chroma to get to 5nm and 3nm regardless there is Astronomik 6nm, so Thank God that antlia made something less than Astrodon/Chroma finally, and i did mention that i bought antlia Ha 3nm at 2", i will never able to buy this either with Astrodon/Chroma or even with Astronomik 6nm, not worthy for 6nm anyway.

Optolong have joined the 3nm party, similar price to antlia too

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/optolong-filters/optolong-3nm-sho-extra-narrow-band-filters.html

Don't know you've taken my response,  I was praising them, not putting them down

13 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

I understand your point, it is just when you said before in the past that it is a little bit more expensive than Astronomik, that made me to think how, because you are not comparing both filters not by size and not by band pass, so it is like not fair, which means people won't go with antlia because it is a little bit more expensive? It is ok, prices in UK is out of this world, thank GOD that i am still using FLO as my only UK favorite site, but they don't sell Antlia unfortunately and i use different stores.

I am waiting to see the price of Optolong SII 3nm and its result to compare with Antlia SII 3nm, then i will decide if i should get Optolong or Antlia, i do have Chroma OIII and SII 3nm, but they are at 1.25" size only mounted to one camera from ZWO, my other cameras aren't ZWO and can't work ok with 1.25" size, already have Antlia Ha 3nm for one camera so i have to decide the third camera which SII to buy [ZWO will use Chroma OIII, because i know most OIII 3nm have halo either from antlia or something else, Optolong could have that too, so i think that i should just keep using Chroma OIII 3nm and buy extra SII 3nm for third camera, i keep Chroma SII 3nm either as extra or if i buy another ZWO camera to work out with 1.25" size].