Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Affinity help

Hi Folks,

I'm in need of a little advice from the corporate brain.

I've finally managed to capture some good data. I've installed Affinity photo but I just can't get my head around this editing thing.

Can anyone recommend a series of you tube or even a singular video that will get me started? 

I'm looking to edit an image of the veil nebula if that helps. 

Thanks in advance for your recommendations 

Simon

1 minute ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Hi Folks,

I'm in need of a little advice from the corporate brain.

I've finally managed to capture some good data. I've installed Affinity photo but I just can't get my head around this editing thing.

Can anyone recommend a series of you tube or even a singular video that will get me started? 

I'm looking to edit an image of the veil nebula if that helps. 

Thanks in advance for your recommendations 

Simon

Not a video but I highly recommend this  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/affinity-photo-astrophotography-image-processing-guide-second-edition.html

Mark :)  

James has also created some macros to help processing, referenced in the youtube description of the video I linked.  You choose what you want to pay for them, $1 to ......  The only one of the set I've used much does an auto stretch of the image so its very useful to get a first look at your stack and see what you have to work with.  

11 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Affinity was also covered in one of the great StarGaZine zooms, here

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/365437-ep24-youtube-a-tour-round-affinity-photo-by-dave-eagle/

FYI, Dave Eagle is the author of the book mentioned here -

15 hours ago, callisto said:

He's very helpful.

16 minutes ago, Jerry Barnes said:

James has also created some macros to help processing, referenced in the youtube description of the video I linked.  You choose what you want to pay for them, $1 to ......  The only one of the set I've used much does an auto stretch of the image so its very useful to get a first look at your stack and see what you have to work with.  

I subbed up for these macros. There is a lot of them in the set, some more intuitive than others and a Jerry says, the simpler ones can help give you a quick look at what needs fixing. 

The individual steps of each macro appear in the history tab and you can explode them and tweak the parameters. 

Welcome to the wonderful adventure game that is astrophotography 🙂

• Like 1

Not sure how up to date that book is ? Affinity has added quite a lot of astro stuff in the latest version - stacking, background removal, star alignment, etc.

Personally I'd just check out 'astrophotography affinity' on youtube. affinity themselves have lots of good tutorials covering stacking OSC, mono, etc and there are many others. Also don't forget just general affinity tutorials - understanding layer blending types and curves, curves, levels, live filters, etc are all base key stuff before you go into astro specific stuff.

I will say, after being a 20 year photoshop user and finding myself having to look elsewhere, since I refuse to do subscription software as a matter of principle, I took quite a while trialing affinity before I decided to buy it. After a fair amount of re-learning I can honestly say I have never looked back - purging my macs of anything and everything adobe was very cathargic.

Since then i've bought M1 macs and affinity have been amongst the first to support them - making everything supercomputer fast, version upgrades are often and add real value, and their support of the astro community seems excellent.

So you've definately made the right choice imho. Once you learn the quirks it's a truly powerful product. Editing everything in 32 bit!! try that in photoplop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, powerlord said:

Not sure how up to date that book is ? Affinity has added quite a lot of astro stuff in the latest version - stacking, background removal, star alignment, etc.

Personally I'd just check out 'astrophotography affinity' on youtube. affinity themselves have lots of good tutorials covering stacking OSC, mono, etc and there are many others. Also don't forget just general affinity tutorials - understanding layer blending types and curves, curves, levels, live filters, etc are all base key stuff before you go into astro specific stuff.

I will say, after being a 20 year photoshop user and finding myself having to look elsewhere, since I refuse to do subscription software as a matter of principle, I took quite a while trialing affinity before I decided to buy it. After a fair amount of re-learning I can honestly say I have never looked back - purging my macs of anything and everything adobe was very cathargic.

Since then i've bought M1 macs and affinity have been amongst the first to support them - making everything supercomputer fast, version upgrades are often and add real value, and their support of the astro community seems excellent.

So you've definately made the right choice imho. Once you learn the quirks it's a truly powerful product. Editing everything in 32 bit!! try that in photoplop.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I purchased the book and it must have been updated recently as it covers stacking in Affinity. Finding it a good basis but will definitely be checking out the videos.

Great to hear from seasoned user of astrophotography editing software your opinion means a great deal, thanks.

Cheers 

Simon