SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron CG5GT direct connection

FrenchyArnaud

Hi all! 

Waiting for the day I can afford to upgrade, I use a Celestron CG5GT. 

Now, I am slowly coming to terms with all the softwares and connections to have it handled from the comfort of my office. However, that's miles of electrical spaghetti I am now trying to simplify. 

On the CG5, the connection to the computer / stellarium works by plugging an st4 with com port on the HC then onto a com>usb adapter. So it gives mount>st4>hand controller>st4>adapter to usb>laptop. 

Considering that the HC is totally redundant, is it possible to simply go mount>cable>computer? 

I would say yes it should be possible.  Originally Skywatcher mounts were connected through serial cables to the handset with the handset connected to the mount, but then the EQDIR cable was developed and allowed for a direct connection between mount and PC.

However, as to what cable you would use for a Celestron mount I can't say.  Most google searches seem to suggest a serial cable is used, but that would most likely still need the handset to act as the "translator" between mount and PC.

I did find these videos that may help, plus there does seem to be a wi-fi adapter that could remove cables altogether 

and part two here

• Thanks 1

Hi, I can't help over direct cable control (sorry) but I have tried (unsucessfully) using the Celestron SkyPortal wi-fi device with my CG-5 AS mount-

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/celestron-skyportal-wifi-adapter.html

This attaches to the the mount and is meant to permit wi-fi control using a mobile or tablet with the free SkyPortal app. You need however to employ an aux splitter cable on the CG5 of which there are two flavours-

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/celestron-aux-port-splitter.html

However I was unable to get my mount to be controlled this way. You may however be able to perform this miracle.

Good luck if there is a cabled solution you can try.

Cheers,
Steve

Edited by SteveNickolls

Ok, so here is the verdict:
 (drum roll....)

You can't.  There is no way. I have however after a bit of fiddling figured a solution that proves as good as, and reliable : a good USB splitter and a very, very long USB cable. 

The splitter is on the mount side and is connected to guide camera, dslr and HC (via serial/usb adaptor), and the splitter itself is plugged on a massive USB extension cable. Unfortunately, there is no way to do without the HC, HOWEVER having only the usb extension to pull inside, up to the office (15 meters) is much less of a hassle than trying to extend everything including that pesky phone cable. 

It must be noted though that as it turns out, it is really imperative to have a "good" splitter (branded, USB3.0) and a "good" cable, properly insulated as the cheap ones I first tried gave me poor, unstable connections with data loss and corruptions (especially as I send the DSLR pictures directly to the computer, not using a SD card).  My theory is that cheap ones are more prone to interferences. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FrenchyArnaud said:

I have however after a bit of fiddling figured a solution that proves as good as, and reliable : a good USB splitter and a very, very long USB cable.

Pleased to hear you have got the cable arrangement working, really good news. 

Would you be able to provide a photo of the set up/connections on the mount side? What actual splitter are you using too? Which hand controller version are you using and which firmware version? 👍

Good luck for the future.

Cheers,
steve

12 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Would you be able to provide a photo of the set up/connections on the mount side? What actual splitter are you using too? Which hand controller version are you using and which firmware version? 👍

Damned, I JUST did bag up! If I had seen your message 30mins ago, I would have taken pics/videos...

I do a full presentation next time it's up, promise. Which will be next time I have a sky, can be tomorrow or in 6 months, who tf knows :( 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FrenchyArnaud said:

I do a full presentation next time it's up, promise. Which will be next time I have a sky, can be tomorrow or in 6 months, who tf knows :( 

Aww thanks for this. Did not mean to cause anguish but it would be good to get my CG-5 working in such a fashion. 

Cheers,
Steve