SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Choices, Choices...

Ian McCallum

I've had some really good advice regarding mounts and tripods for a larger refractor recently.  I've bought a 2nd hand SW Evostar 120T from a fellow SGL'er recently, but I'm not sure what mount suits my requirements best...

I'm used to a GEM, but I wonder if an AltAz would suit my visual only observing better?🤔

I've seen both some AltAz and EQ mounts recommended, that could carry the weight of this refractor and possibly something with a modern Japanese 80mm F15 one too.   Here's some that I've been pointed to recently, but am unsure of...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth-astronomy-mounts/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe-alt-azimuth-mount.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq5-deluxe.html

The first one is an AltAz mount, but the tripod doesn't look that great. I could buy just the mount only and get a heavier duty SW tripod for about £125 =/-.  The second one is a EQ mount, which isn't the forerunner, at the moment - however, it carrying capacity is excellent and it already comes with a substantial tripod.

I appreciate those who've recommended the SkyTee 2, etc, but it's more than I'm willing to pay at the moment.

Any thoughts on my choices, would be most welcomed....

The AZ4 would cope with your big refractor better than the AZ5 but it does not have the slo-mos unfortunately. I think there is an AZ4 on here at a very reasonable price, it comes with the same heavy duty tripod that the EQ5 does.

• Like 1

All i can say is i love my EQ5 Deluxe. Both for visual and imaging. For the price its a solid bit of kit. If you ever wanted to get a cheap camera. to take some images after using it as a visual mount. Then its future proof

I even throw a 10" Newtonian at it. And so far its coped well

Edited by neil phillips
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Franklin said:

I put a 10kg 6" f/8 frac on an EQ5 once and while it did not break, it was not capable of handling higher powers, too much focus wobble and in the slightest breeze, forget it.👍

I dont doubt it Franklin. But if i get good at focusing through the wobble. it can still do this' Dont get me wrong i have had 3 NEQ6 in the past. But i like being the torturer of mounts

clavius (3) sgl (1).png

6 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

But if i get good at focusing through the wobble. it can still do this

I know Neil, I always look out for your images and they are fantastic. Hard to believe you can actually do it with the equipment that you use, but you do and hats off to you. I can't even take a snapshot of the Moon with my phone that isn't blurry!

I know most wont believe me. I dont even feel the need for the NEQ6 But i would like one again for sure. especially go to

i would draw the limit with a SW300P Now that would break its back. That would kill it. likely dangerous. Ian get the EQ5 Deluxe from flo thats what i would do

7 minutes ago, Franklin said:

I know Neil, I always look out for your images and they are fantastic. Hard to believe you can actually do it with the equipment that you use, but you do and hats off to you. I can't even take a snapshot of the Moon with my phone that isn't blurry!

Lol just many years of cutting corners because i had too i think. once had chains hanging off the back of a 16 dob. and a camcorder attached on the focuser. My missus still jokes about today. it was fun watching big jupiter drift passed while i pressed record

Edited by neil phillips
  • Haha 1