Narrowband

A Variety Of Sights

Epick Crom

Hi my fellow stargazers! I had an interesting night last night covering a wide range of Astronomical targets. Like they say variety is the spice of life! All observations carried out using my only telescope, my 10 inch dob:

Saturn: Absolutely lovely to look at as usual, Cassini Division looked like it had been etched with a pencil. A close inspection of Titan at high power revealed a faint orange tinge.

Jupiter: Really good seeing meant a really stable and detailed view. The Great Red Spot looked absolutely wonderful, with swirls of clouds around it. I also saw two prominent dark marks on the cloud decks. Beautiful.

Venus: Another stunning sight, Venus is now starting to become a crescent. Will be interesting to follow its progress in the coming weeks until it becomes a thin crescent. Can't wait!

CR 21: Open cluster/ asterism in Triangulum. I liked this one, it resembles a delicate semi circle of faint stars.

Keid ( 40 Eridani): A very interesting double star in Eridanus. The primary star is a common star, but it's component is a white and red dwarf orbiting each other. This pairing is easy to see, a rare sight of a white dwarf and red dwarf together.

NGC 1535. Cleopatra's Eye nebula in Eridanus. A bright planetary nebula showing hints of a central star. Blue/ green colour.

M 33: The notorious Triangulum Galaxy in Triangulum. I wasn't expecting to see anything, but did get a subtle elongated glow in the eyepiece. The clincher was identifying a tiny diffuse spot which with the aid of Sky Safari which I identified as NGC 604, the star forming nebula in M 33. Overjoyed to get a glimpse of M 33 and NGC 604 from my bortle 6 skies.

IC 418. The Spirograph nebula in Lepus. Another visually stunning planetary. Some observers see red in this object but I could only see a green colour.

Uranus: I hit this ice giant planet with 480x. A beautiful sight, pale green disk. I had no luck in finding any of its moons though. 

Closed the night by observing the waxing gibbous moon. I loved the view at 100x, this fits the entire moon almost exactly filling the field of view. The Apennines mountain range looked incredible at 534x, I could clearly see individual peaks and their shadows. This gave the impression of being right above the lunar surface.

Seeing was good but transparency was poor. Nevertheless a great night was had observing. Wishing you all clear skies!

Joe

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, domstar said:

Wow. An excellent report. I was very excited to spot the white and red dwarfs around Keid last year- the only ones I've ever seen. I want to try for Cleopatra's Eye. I'd never heard of it before. Thanks.

Thanks Domstar! I got a thrill too when I saw the white and red dwarfs. Isn't it amazing?! Please do try for Cleopatra's Eye, you will love it☺️

• Like 1

Very nice report with interesting targets there. I have not seen NGC 1535 before so on my to see list. I think the lighting in the moon at the moment is bringing really nice details out. 

4 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

Uranus: I hit this ice giant planet with 480x. A beautiful sight, pale green disk. I had no luck in finding any of its moons though. 

It is turning to be one of my favourite planets although not much going on but  i like the colour; in my eyes it is bluish rather than green.

• Thanks 1