SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AZ-GTi reliable firmware updates and fixing bricked mounts

badhex

Hello all AZ-GTi lovers,

Just been watching the official skywatcher USA webcast about the AZ-GTi and came across this nugget.

The host does product support for skywatcher and mentioned the USB Synscan adapter intended for controlling older skywatcher mounts via direct PC connection, but said that one of the other things you can use it for is firmware updates. He said that it's more reliable than WiFi and you can even use it to rescue a bricked mount. 

He recommends that considering the reasonably low cost (about £24 from our sponsors), all AZ-GTi owners should just get one to give themselves another option for updating or in case of issues. 

I could be late to the party with this info but given the number of posts about firmware update issues with the AZ-GTi I'm not totally sure it is common knowledge. 

41m30s for that part. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/11/2021 at 00:58, badhex said:

Hello all AZ-GTi lovers,

Just been watching the official skywatcher USA webcast about the AZ-GTi and came across this nugget.

The host does product support for skywatcher and mentioned the USB Synscan adapter intended for controlling older skywatcher mounts via direct PC connection, but said that one of the other things you can use it for is firmware updates. He said that it's more reliable than WiFi and you can even use it to rescue a bricked mount. 

He recommends that considering the reasonably low cost (about £24 from our sponsors), all AZ-GTi owners should just get one to give themselves another option for updating or in case of issues. 

I could be late to the party with this info but given the number of posts about firmware update issues with the AZ-GTi I'm not totally sure it is common knowledge. 

41m30s for that part. 

I have bought the lynx astro ftdi eqdir cable from Flo and works a treat for me, it costs more bug the quality is superb. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

I have bought the lynx astro ftdi eqdir cable from Flo and works a treat for me, it costs more bug the quality is superb. 

Great, thanks, good to know. I had assumed that the other aftermarket stuff should probably work too, so it's good to confirm. 

As there are occasionally a few 'bricked mount/update issues' type threads about the AZ-GTi I thought it would make sense for us all to share info. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, badhex said:

Great, thanks, good to know. I had assumed that the other aftermarket stuff should probably work too, so it's good to confirm. 

As there are occasionally a few 'bricked mount/update issues' type threads about the AZ-GTi I thought it would make sense for us all to share info.

I agree. I think you can get the FTDI cables from Ali but I've read a lot of places that these cheap cables can do far worse to the mount so best avoided and go with a known and well trusted retailer. 

Thinking maybe there should be a AzGti owners thread to construct and put all requests in there. 

• Like 1

On 13/11/2021 at 00:58, badhex said:

Hello all AZ-GTi lovers,

41m30s for that part. 

Thank you very much for sharing this, I'd given up on trying to update mine as it just refused to connect. I too used a  Lynx cable and it worked like a charm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/11/2021 at 10:38, AstroNebulee said:

I agree. I think you can get the FTDI cables from Ali but I've read a lot of places that these cheap cables can do far worse to the mount so best avoided and go with a known and well trusted retailer. 

Thinking maybe there should be a AzGti owners thread to construct and put all requests in there. 

Great idea. Surprised there is not one already, although admittedly I have not searched thoroughly. 

• Thanks 1

On 25/11/2021 at 16:54, wuthton said:

Thank you very much for sharing this, I'd given up on trying to update mine as it just refused to connect. I too used a  Lynx cable and it worked like a charm.

Great! Good to hear it fixed your issue, my whole reason for sharing! 

10 hours ago, badhex said:

Great idea. Surprised there is not one already, although admittedly I have not searched thoroughly. 

I have searched but not seen an AzGti owners thread, its a popular mount and be nice to have an owners thread like the big boys mounts 😉 😬👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

I have searched but not seen an AzGti owners thread, its a popular mount and be nice to have an owners thread like the big boys mounts 😉 😬👍

Cool. Do you want to start it? Or shall I? It was your great idea so don't want to steal your thunder 😊

Edited by badhex

6 hours ago, badhex said:

Cool. Do you want to start it? Or shall I? It was your great idea so don't want to steal your thunder 😊

That's very kind of you, I'll start it if it's ok but please do share your vast knowledge of the AzGti mount too, hopefully between the both of us others will learn to get the joy out of this stunning mount. 👍😁

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AstroNebulee said:

That's very kind of you, I'll start it if it's ok but please do share your vast knowledge of the AzGti mount too, hopefully between the both of us others will learn to get the joy out of this stunning mount. 👍😁

Of course, fire away! I will share what I know but I'd hardly call my knowledge vast 😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, badhex said:

Of course, fire away! I will share what I know but I'd hardly call my knowledge vast 😂

All set up in the mounts thread, hoping it can become a one stop place for all az gti info and advice along with your vast knowledge haha, spread the word! 

• Haha 1

I bought an equivelent cable from Ali express for less than half the price of FLO's.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000610764393.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dMrXcen

Absolutely crazy charging £24 for a USB to Serial connection and cable.  This one comes with a choice of colours and cable lengths too. 

Edited by PlankWithANailIn
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, PlankWithANailIn said:

I bought an equivelent cable from Ali express for less than half the price of FLO's.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000610764393.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dMrXcen

Absolutely crazy charging £24 for a USB to Serial connection and cable.  This one comes with a choice of colours and cable lengths too. 

Cool, you'll have to let us know how the quality is. 

I guess some might feel the extra cost of Lynxastro cables gives additional insurance as the quality level is well known and obviously FLO's customer service is great - although of course this doesn't mean Aliexpress stuff won't be good too. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, badhex said:

Cool, you'll have to let us know how the quality is. 

I guess some might feel the extra cost of Lynxastro cables gives additional insurance as the quality level is well known and obviously FLO's customer service is great - although of course this doesn't mean Aliexpress stuff won't be good too. 

I just went with the more expensive lynx astro cable as you say for the extra insurance I know it would work and good quality and also super fast delivery from Flo.  I didn't want to risk damaging my mount as I can't afford another incase. I think it was on cuiv the lazy geeks video once when he bought a cable from Ali and didn't have a good experience eith it, just stuck in my head. I know Ali can sell some good quality items though. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1