SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASIAIR Plus finally here... But...!

69boss302

I finally got in my ASIAIR Plus today and set it up. The documentation it comes with is non existent and the in app help is even worse.  So needless to say the setup didnt go very smoothly at all and was wondering if any of you guys have gone through the same teething pains.  Heres what Im having issues with:

-The initial set up screen asked for lat/long and to use location services while using. I enabled that but it never filled in my lat/long. And it seems I cant go back there to find out where to set that up again!

-Its not finding my EQ6-R Pro. I selected Skywatcher SynScan but no luck.  The baud is showing at 9600 and I cant seem to change that, as I believe it should be 115,200.  I have the serial cable plugged in to a USB2 port on the AA+ and also tried plugging it into the back of my ZWO 2600 main camera

-It is not recognizing my ZWO EAF.    I also tried plugging that in to the main camera and the AA+ itself.  It does work with my laptop and APT etc.

-WIFI Station mode...  I can connect directly to it just fine. If I go into station mode, it can connect to my house wifi OK, but then when I go back in the app it tries to find it via SSID ASAIRxxxxxxxxxx   and will never find it even if my ipad is now on the house wifi (same ssid).

Obviously Im doing something wrong in all of these but just cant seem to figure it out quite yet. Any tips are much appreciated!

Bob

9 minutes ago, GoldTop57 said:

How have you connected to the EQ6R -  via the handset port (EQMOD cable - 9800 baud) or the mount's USB port (USB 2.0 Type A to B cable 115,200 baud)?

I am connecting via the mounts USB port via Type A to B cable.

bob

8 minutes ago, GoldTop57 said:

You need to choose EQMod Mount in the Telescope field. Let me know if that doesn't work.

That worked!! Thank you!  When I selected that, baud rate allowed me to select 115,200 and it connected right away. It also solved the lat/long issue, it auto filled! Thank you!

bob

UPDATE:

I had moderate success tonight! But something is still wrong. With you guys help and the manual, (which I didnt know existed...thank you again) I solved all my issues above!   With newly gained confidence, I took my rig and set it up outside. It was a nice clear and warm(ish) night.    I leveled my tripod, and rough align NCP with my EQ6-R Pro.  When it got dark, I did my focusing, which worked like a champ.  Then I did my PA, which I think went well. I got the smiley face and fireworks.  Awesome! Now I click on objects, Select something big, bright and obvious, M31. Welllll my mount skews down into the weeds and is pointing at my neigbors lawn.

Set everything back to zero, bring my mount manually to vertical, and do a PA again.  Same thing.  Well I thought maybe M31 is below the horizon, but it wasnt. So I selected California Nebula. This time it was pointing at my shoes but I knew right where it was in the sky.

What does this mean? Is it possessed?  Do I need to start drinking?

Side note:  Wifi Station mode is pretty good... but not great. I think I need a higher gain antenna. If anyone has recommendations Id love to hear.

Bob

The first things to check is that the date, time & DST settings are correct. Although the Lat & Long auto-filled, are they correct for your location?

Next, when you start up the App and turn the mount on - go to the mount/scope menu, scroll to the bottom and click on the "Home Position" or "Zero Position" button and let the App take the mount to where it thinks the Home Position is. This should be counter weights down - scope pointing towards the NCP. After the slew, if it isn't pointing in the correct direction, undo the clutches and manually move the axis to where it should be. 

Here's another manual for you, if you haven't already found it, for the ASIAir Pro. The link above is for the original ASIAir and the Pro is the closest manual to the Plus that ZWO have issued to date: https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/manuals/ASIAIR_PRO_User_Manual.pdf ;)

• Like 1

@budgie1 Thank you for that. I did see that the lat/long did auto fill but I did not notice if it was correct or not. If it is not, I will 'synch' it.  I will also check for home, Im betting that was it, I never did check or set home position.

bob

The other thing, is I have the RJ connector from the back of my guide cam going right to my EQ6-R Pro mount, as well as the USB from the AA+. I dont think I need both, I think I just need serial. Maybe it was getting confused.

After I’ve Polar Aligned I always send my mount back to the home position before I slew anywhere else and sync it there. I usually polar align again and find it’s not quite as accurate as the first go, maybe because of the time the first one took. I might do this 3/4 times tightening everything up as I tweak it. Usually get it quite close doing this and it eventually it stays close.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this issue so many times es on my HEQ5 Pro but a simple power off an on works ever time. One time it did this I noted the power cable to the mount was not clicked enough even though it showed a red light could have been coincidence though. 

After PA I also go home using the app then sync to mount then select target. If it lobby’s still the floor power everything off check all power cables and try again it should work. It’s a known bug glad to see they addressed it on the plus lol!