Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Space in your observatory?

ItsmeMaw

Now that I've got a good mount, I've decided to build my second observatory. The first was 8' x 8', ROR. With a 1000mm FL reflector, by the time I put in an observing chair, a step stool then the eyepiece case, it was tight.

I'm up sizing to 8' x12' with more space to the rear for the extra needed items and perhaps one day a place to set up a laptop.

If you could have the perfect observatory what would it be? (Within reason)?

I have seen some interesting and sometimes beautiful designs on these pages and elsewhere.

My perfect obsy (at the moment) would be a beautifully crafted wooden structure with a clamshell type roof (better asthetics to my eye), perhaps resembling a Romany caravan or olde worlde railway carriage profile.

It would have two piers, one for imaging and one for concurrent visual.

The warm room would be set up with a pair of high spec PC's one for the imaging, one for the processing. It would also have a single bed, a Lazeeboy and a beer fridge.

And no one would know where to find me.......

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

8' by 12' sounds just about right. When my wife gave me the go ahead for an observatory I made it 8' by 7', which is good for my 4" refractor. It's amazing though how tight it can get when there are three people in there, so I would increase the size if I could. I'd also build a dome rather than a ror as it is at the moment. But I'd always build it square or rectangular, never round, as having corners realty improves the useable space. You might be able to get an idea from the pic's below how cramped it might get, and how welcome the corners are for storage and seating. 

IMG_5971.thumb.JPG.3f9cc470394b6755f1629845c944cd14.JPG1611606814296_IMG_5970.thumb.JPG.2febe27ec4d5230a5ad68ac5ad007383.JPG

• Like 5

On 10/11/2021 at 23:23, Swoop1 said:

It would also have a single bed, a Lazeeboy and a beer fridge.

Didn't go as far as the beer fridge, but my warm room had a bench for a sleeping bag, a kettle and a microwave to warm up some pasties or pies at 3am on a cold winters night... I now remote into the observatory from the warmth and comfort of the living room.....

PA025721.JPG

PA025726.JPG

Edited by malc-c
found images
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Rusted said:

To MikeDnight: What is the textured black stuff on your obs. walls?

It's probably interlocking foam tiles.  I have these on the floor or my observatory and its saved many a dropped  eyepiece 

Amazon example

Edited by malc-c
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Rusted said:

To MikeDnight: What is the textured black stuff on your obs. walls?

The walls are clad internally with black, interlocking rubber exercise matting. I did it to reduce stray light inside the building, but its also on the floor too. Warm to stand on and gives any dropped eyepieces a good chance of survival. ☺

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

The walls are clad internally with black, interlocking rubber exercise matting. I did it to reduce stray light inside the building, but its also on the floor too. Warm to stand on and gives any dropped eyepieces a good chance of survival. ☺

I imagine it’s also handy for when you’re bouncing off the walls when observing through that stunning DZ, Mike 

😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I imagine it’s also handy for when you’re bouncing off the walls when observing through that stunning DZ, Mike 

😊

It's my very own padded cell Jeremy. I haven't tried bouncing the Tak like a super-ball yet, but I think it should be ok if I did. 😕

• Haha 4

My ROR is an 8x12 shed with an 8x4 shed stuck on the end for the warm room. Works very well for AP in this cold weather as I can stick a small fan heater in the warm room and be very toasty watching APT take my subs :)  Loads of room in the scope end to move around or sit on an observing chair.  The only thing I think I'd change would be the material the roof is made of - it's currently a clear corrugated polycarbonate which gets so much condensation this time of year I have to have a waterproof cover on the scope. Next spring it's coming off and getting replaced with a ply and roofing felt roof.  I'm also looking at ships chandlers to see if I can get some sort of windlass to move the roof.

graeme 

obs (4).jpg

pier2.jpg

• Like 4