SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skytee2 storage

wibblefish

I recently purchased. Skytee2 and SW stainless steel tripod and whilst they can remain setup normally in my garage for those rare occassions when there isn’t 100% cloud cover I will eventually want to take them out :)

Is there a particular storage bag(s) that anyone knows fit these?

• Like 1

I don't know of any particular storage bag, but I keep my AYO [left] in the supplied case...

IMG_0580.thumb.JPG.fc6f227bf7e974dd59c6c96ea3f25fe2.JPG

and the Giro [right] in an third-party plastic case.

This online retailer sells 'Peli' type cases, [c/w foam insert]... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clas-Ohlson-Case-Water-Resistant/dp/B08KDPQ31S?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the same question @wibblefish but I don't so far have a perfect answer.

The best plan I could come up with so far is to get some closed-cell polyethylene foam padding and cut several layers to the right shape, then glue them together to make a custom insert for one of the following bags:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p170_TS-Optics-Padded-Transport-Case-for-medium-size-Mounts.html

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11866_Geoptik-Quilt-Bag-for-medium-sized-mounts-like-EQ5---GP.html

I think the blue TS one would actually be better because of the side pockets, but it's out of stock so I'm just biding my time for a while in case I can think of a better plan. 

Edited by badhex

Not very elegant, but maybe a duffel bag with the kit wrapped in open-cell foam?  I used an old camping tent bag for one of my tripods; wrapped the pod in plastic bubblewrap. 

I've seen some instances where people covered the shipping boxes in duck tape and used the original styrofoam inserts. 

I don't know if this would suit your circumstances but in my case I store my skytee 2 mount upright on the tripod in a study but I pull the tripod feet in so they are quite close together and it therefore only takes up a small footprint of floor space in the room. This only works though because the floor is grippy enough that I don't have to worry about the feet slipping out or someone knocking it over.

• 1 month later...

Hello @wibblefish further to my thoughts above, I went ahead and bought the bag and some additional foam which I've cut into shape. I used one thicker block rather than several pieces stuck together so it was a bit trickier to cut but it worked out okay. 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 1